5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best books to date!
Published on May 21 2010 by BookChick

3.0 out of 5 stars Anatomy of an affair
Author Emily Giffin has an ardent following, but this is the first of her books that I've read. The writing is smooth and effective but I found the story somehow too small, too often told, without that one original angle that could have lifted it to the ranks of the memorable.

Published on July 11 2010 by Linda Bulger

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best books to date!, May 21 2010
BookChick (Simcoe, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Heart of the Matter (Hardcover)
I've loved Emily Giffin's books since I first picked up "Something Borrowed". "Something Blue" quickly became my favourite book of hers, and "Love the One You're With" and "Baby Proof" were good, but not as good as I had hoped. However, "Heart of the Matter" is, in my opinion, her best book to date. The subject matter is not as light as her previous books, but the depth of emotion and the skill with which she writes is incredible.

I'm going to be deliberately vague when describing this book, since the publisher's description is as well. Part of what made this book so compelling was discovering the various details of the plot on my own, and not having someone spoil it for me ahead of time. What I will say is that "Heart of the Matter" is written from the viewpoints of two very different women: Tessa Russo is the mother of two young children and married to a skilled pediatric surgeon. She has recently quit her job so that she can stay at home and focus on being a mom, but her decision has left her with a vague dissatisfaction. Valerie Anderson is a single mother to six-year-old Charlie, as well as an attorney. She's fairly satisfied with her life, but can't shake the feeling that something is missing. One night the lives of these two women intersect, and nothing will be the same for them again.

As I mentioned, "Heart of the Matter" is one of Emily Giffin's best books to date. She conveys such emotion with her words- at parts of the book I literally gasped out loud, finding it almost painful to continue reading the story. I felt as though I was experiencing the things that the characters were; that's how involved I was.

Giffin also takes a difficult situtation, one where there is not a wrong or a right answer, and tries to present two views without ever choosing sides. Women will sympathize with both main characters despite themselves. I had a favourite viewpoint, given the choices I've made in life, but towards the end I felt sympathy for the other character as well. Now that's powerful writing!

It's hard to review a book and remain vague, but I really don't want to give anything away. Giffin takes a story that has been done before and adds a fresh spin to it, resulting in a compelling read that you'll think about even after you've read the last page. In short: I loved it, and highly recommend it to any woman, even those who are not fans of Giffin's previous work. "Heart of the Matter" takes things to a whole new level.

3.0 out of 5 stars Anatomy of an affair, July 11 2010
Linda Bulger (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heart of the Matter (Audio CD)

The book opens with Dr. Nick Russo and his wife Tessa enjoying an evening out to celebrate their seventh wedding anniversary. Nick is an esteemed plastic surgeon in a Boston hospital and Tessa has given up her job to stay at home with their two children. Theirs is a life of comfort, but Nick (as is the way with surgeons, ho hum) works too much, and Tessa, worried that she'll lose herself without a job to establish her individuality, finds the workload of caring for a house and two children (and keeping up with the other mothers) rather exhausting and stressful.

Nick is called away from the anniversary dinner to attend a young boy burned in a fire. The boy's mother, Valerie, is a corporate lawyer, raising her son on her own and feeling lonely and also sad that her son is growing up without a father.

Actually these characters are not quite so flat and cliched as they sound; and cliches usually describe elements we recognize as frequently occurring. But in Heart of the Matter, these people have a little history, and some family connections, but mainly they have the immediate situation of Nick's and Valerie's growing attraction to each other. It doesn't feel like quite enough.

The book alternates between Tessa's first-person story and a narrative from Valerie's point of view. This closes the boundaries even tighter, reduces the story to just this one set of questions: will they? won't they? and if they do, what will Tessa do? I don't make light of the issue of fidelity in marriage, of the prospect of divorce...but to lift this book above a casual read, this struggle would need to somehow be a microcosm of some more general struggle, I think, and for me the book didn't make that leap.

It's not a bad read, though a bit depressing, but this is not a book that covers new ground or that I'll measure other books against in the future. Since the author's other books seem more highly regarded--and she does write lovely prose--I may try one of her other books.

I listened to the audio version of "Heart of the Matter," which was beautifully narrated by actress Cynthia Nixon.

Linda Bulger, 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars AN AFFECTING, SENSITIVE STORY - AUDIO EDITION, May 28 2010
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Heart of the Matter (Audio CD)
Cynthia Nixon not only won hearts and plaudits as Miranda on HBO's tremendously successful Sex and the City, but has often displayed her acting chops on Broadway (Hurly-Burly, Angels In America, etc). A Tony, Emmy and Grammy winning actress she is talented and versatile as was seen in her compelling portrayal of Eleanor Roosevelt. Thus, it has been a great boon for audio book aficionados to hear her bring popular stories to life.

With HEART OF THE MATTER we hear the story of two women whose lives intersect in ways they never would have dreamed. Emily Giffin is an intelligent author who draws complex, affecting characters. Readers are immediately drawn into their hearts and minds, and again this is the case when we meet Tessa Russo and Valerie Anderson.

Tessa, the mother of two young childen is married to Nick, a successful and dedicated pediatric surgeon. She turned her back on a Wellesley professorship to devote herself to being a full-time mom. She adores her husband and children. Tessa's life seems to be one all would envy.

Valerie lives in the same Boston suburb as the Russos yet their paths have not yet crossed. She is a lawyer, a single mom who is personally fragile - vulnerable and lonely. Charlie, her young son, is the light of her life. When he is involved in a near fatal accident Nick invests not only his professional care but a personal interest in the boy. He and Valerie are drawn together in their concern for Charlie.

Suddenly Nick is an important figure in the lives of both Tessa and Valerie, and he finds that he has feelings for both. This would seem to be an impossible situation, sure to cause heartbreak for someone.

Cynthia Nixon deftly segues between the voices of Tessa and Valerie as listeners find themselves engrossed in another of Emily Giffen's sensitive stories.

- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Beach Read, May 24 2010
This review is from: Heart of the Matter (Hardcover)
I have read all of Emily Giffin's books. Something Borrowed was easily my favourite, and I think that is in part due to the fact that I have never really been able to see both sides of a story so clearly. To feel for both characters in the conflict equally, and to inhabit their minds, is quite a feat. Emily Giffin does this again in Heart of the Matter.

Tessa is married to a successful and handsome plastic surgeon. Valerie is a lawyer, raising her son alone. When Tessa's husband meets Valerie, an irreversable event occurs, and it is to us, the reader, to witness the resolution for these two women. Each chapter focuses on one woman at a time, from their POV.

I found after the first couple of chapters, I was riveted. I am anxiously awaiting the next novel, and the book tour isn't even over yet for Heart of the Matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book thus far, July 20 2011
This book really tugs at the heartstrings! While I could most certainly identify with Tessa, I also found myself feeling for Valerie. This book put me on an emotional rollercoaster and I couldn't get off until it was finished! One of her best books, by far!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard subject matter, thoughtfully written, Aug. 10 2010
This review is from: Heart of the Matter (Hardcover)
This is the first book I've read by Emily Giffin, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of her writing. Infidelity is a difficult subject to write about, and this author does so with insight and compassion for both sides of the issue. This is a well-written, thought-provoking story, and it was a book I found difficult to put down. I will certainly recommend it to friends and and I look forward to reading more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like Emily Giffin, Oct. 7 2013
Miriam (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
After reading almost all of her books I must say that I very much like Emily Giffin style of writting. Heart of the matter been one of my favorite book from her. It's light but deep all at the same time; a style that Emily Giffin knows how to achieve. But it goes beyond what we expect from a chick lit book ; with a serious subject and interesting psychology of characters. I loved the children input too. A must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tear Jerker, July 8 2013
This one was difficult for me to get through because there was so much deep emotion involved.
Made me quite sad, so if your up for an emotional story, then this is a solid choice for an easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emily Griffin is amazing, Oct. 11 2014
Emily is one of my fave authors! I absolutely loved this book. I can totally relate to the story. 😃

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart of the Matter, April 19 2011
This review is from: Heart of the Matter (Hardcover)
I love Emily Giffin and this book did not disappoint. I read it in 4 hrs cover to cover and can't wait for the next one.

Heart of the Matter
Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin (Hardcover - May 11 2010)
CDN$ 31.99