4.0 out of 5 stars A more innocent Dark Hunter story

4.0 out of 5 stars A more innocent Dark Hunter story, June 9 2010
Lotusland Lady (New Orleans, LA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Infinity: Chronicles of Nick (Hardcover)
I am not sure if this is supposed to be a "YA" novel or not. The hero is a fourteen year old boy, precocious, smart mouthed, vulnerable and very sweet. Unlike the other Dark Hunter novels there is no sex, very little profanity, and the adult activity and conversation all revolve around the boy, to protect him and/or teach him. That being said, it is very readable and Nick, the boy, and his mother are endearing. This book could easily be given to a young teen as a good adventure story.

I don't know what the author intends for this series, whether this will become a supplement to her Dark Hunter stories or if she is writing a young adult series for a teen readership. She is filling in a lot of the questions about Nick and his relationship with Archeron. In fact the few pages devoted to the meeting of Ash and Nick are charming and go a long way toward reveal the beginning of their improbable friendship.

My only objection is this was published, and priced, as a hardcover book but there is far too much white space between the lines to fill up the pages and justify the price. In fact it is probably one of the shortest of the Dark Hunter novels and can easily be read in a couple of hours. But I did enjoy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Plot. But Too Much Stuff That Annoyed, Sept. 26 2012
This review is from: Infinity: Chronicles of Nick (Hardcover)
This was actually 3.5 stars. I liked the premise and really liked Nick's voice from the beginning. But there were quite a few info dumps, most specifically for characters and what they looked like, which is a deterrent. Have to admit by about 3/4 of the way through the book I was so tired of the fact that almost every single female described in the book was drop dead gorgeous or the like. Rubbed me the wrong way so much that it felt like the text was objectifying women, even if that wasn't the intent. Essentially, there was some good stuff I liked, and I'm going to finish this series and probably the Dark-Hunter one after this, but there were some things that prevented this from being an "Oh My Gosh WOW! You have to read this book".

See my full review at daniellewam.blogspot .ca

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, Aug. 11 2013
I loved this book. Sherrilyn Kenyon never fails to keep the reader interested. It was a fantastic look at Nick from before the dark hunter series.

5.0 out of 5 stars great series, July 8 2013
Its almost an all ages series (within reason, obviously) and normally all ages series make me leery of buying them, but I gave it a chance and was amazed with every volume. I hope it continues for a long long time

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Kenyon book, June 17 2011
This review is from: Infinity: Chronicles of Nick (Hardcover)
I really liked the story! Nick is a teen with a REAL teenager attitude of someone who is raised by a single mother. The way he mouths if just hilarious. I will definetly start reading the Dark Hunters series. It's a certainty. Right after I'm done reading Invinsible...

4.0 out of 5 stars YA Dark-Hunter Story, Sept. 13 2010
Tynga's Reviews (Quebec,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Infinity: Chronicles of Nick (Hardcover)
Nick is a 14 years old boy living with his mother and in a rather poor environment. They can barely afford to pay for their food, and Nick is often picked at at school because of his cloths and his mom job, Strip-dancing. His father is locked away for murder for three life-sentence, he is violent, vicious and a douche-bag, but he got one thing right: Nick must protect his mother, either she likes it or not. He is doing his best to be a good boy, as his mom raised him, but when a lot of weird thing starts happening (including classmates turning into zombies), not-being grounded won't be Nick's priority anymore.

First off, I'd like to let you know this is the first book from Sherrilyn Kenyon I ever read and I loved it. The story happens in a very special and secretive world where odd creatures roams the streets at night. While I had no problem following the main plot, I have to say those creatures are still rather fuzzy in my mind. I guess it would be clearer if I've read her adult series (which I will do!), and even though I would've loved more details, it didn't stop me from enjoying the book.

Kenyon introduced some very mysterious characters in the book and I think she is intentionally keeping us in the dark regarding their intentions. It seems like every characters and their neighbors are paranormal creatures and I'm really looking forward to discover more about them. And there is many characters! I suffer from what I call "goldfish memory" which is pretty bad memory so at times I was getting confused with characters names, but it's really all my fault lol. I loved Nick, I think he perfectly portrayed a 14 years old and I appreciated his sarcasm. I was caught laughing out loud more than one time reading that book, and while he is funny he also has his serious and determined side. He is balancing between good and bad and I think it added an edge to his character.

Simi was one of the characters a really loved. I don't really know what's her deal but she's a demon talking about herself in third person and has a fixation about eating everything - and mostly everyone - with BBQ sauce. Caleb was also great, here's a quote from him I particularly liked:

"... Where are the cops when you need them?"
Caleb snorted. "Probably eating beignets. As the old saying goes, when the seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

Overall, Infinity was a great read and a good introduction the the Dark Hunters world. I will definitely read Sherrilyn's adult series and I am looking forward to the second book in the Chronicles of Nick series: Invincible, due February 2011. In a sentence, Infinity is an action-packed story with great wits and humor wrapped in a paranormal package. I loved every page of it and strongly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Infinity: Chronicles of Nick, Aug. 24 2010
This review is from: Infinity: Chronicles of Nick (Hardcover)
I have loved Nick every since I started reading the Dark Hunter Novels and this book did not disappoint me. I found it answered a lot of questions as to how exactly Nick became involved with Krian and Ash.

I am looking forward to reading the series since it seemed to me that's what this would be and can't wait to see if this time around things are better for Nick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Aug. 18 2010
This review is from: Infinity: Chronicles of Nick (Hardcover)
Sometimes, Nick wishes life was easier. He hates his mother's job that lets them barely survive, and he hates the boys at school for mocking him and his mom. He can't stop himself from fighting. When he's suspended, he's in hot water with his overprotective mother. She makes him promise to go straight home, but he runs into his crowd. They give him an offer to make money that he just can't refuse.

Nick can't go through with the plan and ends up saving the elderly couple in question. In retaliation, the boys beat him senseless. A man emerges from the shadows to save him and accompanies him to the hospital. As Nick can't pay the bills, the man makes him a better deal than the guys had - he'll pay the bills and Nick will work for him.

On the first day of employment, strange creatures attack the house. Nick isn't sure what's happened, but he now knows that there are other beings in the world. The man turns out to be a Dark Hunter - someone who's been alive for hundreds of years who protects humans from the others.

Now that the veil has been lifted, Nick sees the world differently. Just as he's coming to terms with his newfound knowledge, zombies take over his school. The zombies keep coming after him. How much longer can Nick keep them from attacking him while saving the ones he loves and keeping his mother out of the loop?

INFINITY is the start of a new series from Ms. Kenyon's Dark-Hunter world, aimed towards young adults. Nick can't seem to catch a break, which made me root for him all the more. He's always in trouble, in danger, meeting new people, or using his greatest survivor skill - sarcasm.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel

5.0 out of 5 stars infinity: chronicles of Nick, June 3 2010
Marisa Kot "book squire" (saskatoon, saskatchewan. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Infinity: Chronicles of Nick (Hardcover)
the book was wouderful, and is answering question that have been begging to be answered, especially if you are into the series of sherrilyn kenyon(Dark-Hunter). If you are new to sherrilyn,you are in for a ride of(for)your life.
I cannot wait for the next one please hurry.

4.0 out of 5 stars loved it!!, Feb. 19 2012
This review is from: Infinity: Chronicles of Nick (Hardcover)
I can't wait for the next book to come out, which I already have pre-ordered. This story line is a page turner, keeping your interest right up to the end of the book, where you cry because you have to wait for the next book!

Infinity: Chronicles of Nick
Infinity: Chronicles of Nick by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Hardcover - May 25 2010)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.59