1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Intrigue, backstabbing, and a great book to read for Tudor fans!, Feb. 21 2011
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Tudor Secret (Paperback)
I have a thing where I love any historical fiction that has a lot of intrigue and mystery. I also love the politics behind the court. I'm fascinated by it. This book has everything you want. Intrigue, mystery, twists and turns, some action, a bit of romance, it's a mixture of everything! however it's so well written and well done that it doesn't feel like it's been put together sloppily.

The plot flows and the pace is even. What I liked the most is the point of view of the character. Most historical fiction novels take place in the viewpoint of someone who's Royalty, and almost always it's a female character. So, seeing the story from Brendan's eyes is definitely something different and I would say, refreshing. It's about time we see it from a guy's point of view! and a 'nobody' at that!. I'd have to say I liked him from the start. He's easily likable and his development throughout the novel was from a young man with an almost childlike naivete to someone who's well versed in how to behave and act in court, and who's about to become a double agent (so to speak). I thought the change was very well done. Brendan matured throughout the novel and the transition was smooth.

I'm a huge fan of political intrigue, and this book has a lot of it. I loved the double crossing, the secrets revealed, and the deeds done in the past that are coming back to haunt certain individuals in the book. The Dudleys are as scheming and ruthlessly ambitious as ever (and I still have a strong dislike for Robert Dudley. Always have. Always will). Frances Brandon follows close behind on my hate list. It's amazing how ambition and greed takes precedence over everything else and brings out the worst in people. It might be a challenge to keep track of all the intrigue however once you get all the characters straightened out, everything does fall into place.

Besides Brendan, I've taken a liking to Cecil. Although he's also a sneaky sly character who uses Brendan, and others to his own purposes and agenda, I like how he underhandedly talks himself out of a tense situation and manages to turn it around. He remains unharmed and still in a powerful position as Elizabeth's advisor. He's a very 'quiet' character, yet his behind the scenes actions make the plot interesting and makes it move forward with Brendan's help.

I think it might have helped to have a little family tree chart handy, or at least a list of characters for those that might not be familiar with Tudor history it does get slightly confusing towards the end it takes a bit to straighten out Brendan's connections and ties with other families. However, those well versed in the history, will have no problem. Other than that, there is no other issue I can think of with this novel.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and as this is the first book in the Spymaster Chronicles, I am waiting for the next one! I loved the intrigue. Absolutely loved it. I definitely recommend this for historical fiction lovers of Tudor history.

The Tudor Secret
The Tudor Secret by C. W. Gortner (Paperback - Feb. 1 2011)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71