4.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned escapist fun
This is an old fashioned escapist collection of very short stories told in a bar room setting.A bar on the farthest reaches of the inner frontier of the gallaxy and patronized by only the toughest and craziest inhabitants of the universe. Both human and otherwise.
Published on March 10 2002 by David Kveragas

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best
Published on June 1 2001 by David L. Gilbert

4.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned escapist fun, March 10 2002
David Kveragas (Newton, Pa USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Outpost (Hardcover)
It is reminiscent of the early Spider Robinson Callahan's series before that went downhill and serious.
Anyone looking for the more dramatic Resnick stories needs to go elsewhere. This is humor pure and simple. No deep meanings or charectarizations. There's no time as the stories come fast and furious. This is the type of book I look for when I'm taking a break from more serious science fiction.
It's full of interesting though lite charectors telling stories of shape changing aliens, space opera like adventures, fortunes (in the form of whole palnets and even systems) won and lost and even an interesting bar/card trick.
Admitedly it's not exactly what I expected when I picked up the copy but I am more than pleasantly suprised. Hope you are too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned escapist fun, March 10 2002
David Kveragas (Newton, Pa USA) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, June 1 2001
David L. Gilbert (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Outpost (Hardcover)
I've been a Resnick fan for years, although I usually find his books in the back corners of used books stores or through eBay auctions. Mike's written alot of books, and it's unfortunate that most of them are out of print. What keeps me coming back for more are the continual themes of humanity that are present in all of his novels. No matter how whiz-bang golly gee his space operas become, his characters always remain fundamentally human. (Kirinyaga, Dark Lady, Miracle of Rare Design, and The Soul Eater being my favorites.
With "The Outpost," however, I don't see any of that. These characters are sophomoric cliches and the stories seem written for 13 year old boys. He gives most of the dialogue to a sex-deprived, foul-mouthed preacher who spends a quarter of every page lusting after the female characters.
The different stories and the changes of perspective are a nifty gimmick, but I didn't care about the characters enough to make it worthwhile. As a whiz-bang space opera it succeeds admirably, but if you're looking for something along the lines of Resnick's deeper work, pay a visit to a used book store or alot of his older stuff is available there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tall tales, Jan. 26 2003
James H. McDuffie (Huntsville, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Outpost (Paperback)
In first section of the book a cast of characters gathers in a bar called the Outpost and swap stories. Tall stories as it turns out. An alien attack is underway and the patrons depart to fight off the aliens. Mike Resnick tells the true story of what happens to each of the characters in the battle that ensues. Then, when all return to the Outpost, each tells his story and the reader can see for himself the embellishments and understatements. The stories throughout the book vary in interest and quality widely. Readable but nothing truly special. I think it started out as a character study but quickly degenerated into a hack work for money. Too bad. I still enjoyed it though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable acerbic SF anthology, April 18 2001
This review is from: The Outpost (Hardcover)
THE OUTPOST is the last stop bar on the planet Henry II just before the Milky Way's centric black hole. The tavern is a place where the hostilities of the solar system are left off-planet. Enemies come here to share a drink and a tall tale or two. The owner Tomahawk and his bartender Reggie the Robot run a clean establishment until the aliens invade. With Willie the Bard chronically taking notes, everyone has a story to tell and that they do in this humorous, intelligent, but quite biting satirical anthology starring interchangeable heroes and villains.

Harriet Klausner

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite a letdown, Sept. 24 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Outpost (Hardcover)
This book shows no trace of the writing that has earned Mike Resnick a Hugo and Nebula award. Dull, repetitious, unimaginative stories about ridiculous one-dimensional 'heros', as he calls them.
Evidently a book written for young teens judging from the constant boring sexual fantasies/exploits of the characters. It seemed totally pointless. After awhile, I used it to put me to sleep.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Resnick good, May 18 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Outpost (Hardcover)
I'd wait for the paperback. I am not disappointed that I read it but it doesn't live up to his other works. There were some short stories in there that were quite good but the book as a whole didn't have as much flow as I expected; I did not become engaged by the characters as much as I expected; and I could put the book down (which I did not expect!).

2.0 out of 5 stars Very formula, not much imagination, Oct. 13 2001
Alan Deikman (Fremont, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Outpost (Hardcover)
I'm not sure what an author of Resnick's caliber is doing writing this sort of escapist yawner. I think he must have been stuck somewhere with his laptop and banged it out in an afternoon. We've all seen too much of this type of yarn-spinning before.
A bit better than wasting an afternoon watching MTV, but not much.

The Outpost
The Outpost by Mike Resnick (Hardcover - May 4 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.70