Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store NFL Tools

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
on August 13, 2009
Needed to add my two cents to the review of this book although I notice it's been a very long time since anything new was written! I think we are very lucky here in Canada to be blessed with a writer as superlative as Jack Whyte. Although this book, "Uther" did not start strong, midway through it picks up and keeps one enthralled. Jack Whyte states in his prologue that he had difficulty with the book, and that statement often crossed my mind while reading it. How does one write a book about a somewhat integral character (in other stories) after most of the telling is done? Would it help to read this book after reading others in the series? Truly, it would as the richness and the depth of the charactersin the series is amazing, and the narrative in each and every book inspires the imagination in us all.
I, like another reviewer here had difficulty in the time lines. For example, the age differences between main characters seemed to be different at times throughout the book. I often asked myself how old Uther was really; the age at death seemed different than in the third installment of the series (wow! forgetting the name tsk, tsk!.) I kept thinking back as well to the other books and questioning whether or not characters such as Nemo and Lagan were ever referenced previously in the series. Hmmmmm.
Anyways, a great story, and I found myself slightly in tears many chapters before the end, knowing simply that the end of Uther was in fact near. Thank you Jack Whyte for creating a beautiful, complex, and fulfilling character. Thank you too for a needed addition to the "Eagle" series. Enjoy.
on April 24, 2001
I've read all the books to date, and waited long months while this one took its time to hit the shelf. I find Whyte's writing absorbing, and his depth and detail incredible. The stories, as one work, are a testament to the man's incredible imagination, and the historical backdrop is rich. Uther, long-awaited as it was, lived up to my expectations in most regards. The story of Uther is tragic, and Whyte writes excellent tragedy, a requiem for romance in every line. He fleshed out a real man from the legend, and created terrific balance with the other novels. The disappointment came in only a few places. Some of the retelling of the other stories was not accurate, for example, Uther says of Lot, "He insulted my dead mother!" when Veronica wasn't dead. There were countless places in the book that made me think the galleys weren't read, because of obvious punctuation problems and word choice errors, that were printing errors, publication problems having nothing to do with the author. The story around the death of Deirdre was satisfying, finally getting to hear and believe Uther's side of the story, made all the more tragic when we realize throughout that Uther and Merlyn never got to sort it out and regain their trust and love of each other. The warfare is, as expected, meticulous, and well drawn out through the novel, leading up to the Fall of Uther. Whyte managed to detail the events that in the third novel were only Merlyn's guesses, and the story, for us, is complete. Whyte is to be highly commended for this series, and this novel, for his attention to a larger vision of the Arthurian legend he created. He is not without fault, but in a saga seven books long, one can expect at least a few slips. The books are treasures.
on March 17, 2003
I discovered Jack Whyte's Dream of Eagles series quite by accident. I picked up Uther, not realizing that it was part of the series, and became thoroughly engrossed in the rich re-telling of the tale legendary Uther Pendragon.
Whyte has taken elements of the Arthurian legend and put them in plausible context, with ultimately, real-world explanations of the more fanciful elements of the Legend.
For anyone who has read book 3 (Eagles' Brood), "Uther" covers the same time period from a completely different perspective (Brood is written from the point of view of Merlin in a period of time when Uther is off fighting in Cornwall). The two books complete each other beautifully and answered some of the mysteries that remained unsolved at the conclusion of Brood.
Needless to say, I am now reading the entire series, and will likely re-read Uther having better understood the context.