5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Gotta Love It! ! !
I recently bought this book, and being the avid fan of Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict that I am, I couldn't put it down! I read it cover to cover TWICE before I was satisfied that I had read it in a proper manner :o) . The author was excellent at portraying the characters-both human AND Taelon-and showing their true nature. I recommend this book to ANYBODY...
Published on Jan. 5 2000 by Barry Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to get into
I am a big fan of Earth Final Conflict and I was looking forward to the book but I got a little bored with it. It seems to drag on in sections but its a good book. I recommend it if you are a fan of the series.
Published on June 12 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, BAD Book, March 19 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict--The Arrival (Hardcover)
I have enjoyed catching up with this interesting, though sometimes uneven, series now that SciFi is showing it. Turning to the books in order to flesh out some of the back story, I had high hopes. Unfortunately, after beginning well, this book drowns in repetitious and annoying writing. It's as if Saberhagen said, "Well, I have to write a certain number of pages, so I'll just have the same event occur a few times, modifying it slightly, to fulfill my duty." Of the 300 or so pages, about 50 are worth your time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to get into, June 12 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars For the MONEY?!!, Dec 25 2000
GRIZZLY "Grizzly" (Yuma, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
I've probably read over a million pages of Sci-Fi in my 49 years,including just about every word written by Heinlein and Clarke. I haven't read much by Saberhagen, but I'll bet he spends more time and effort on his own material.AS a dyed in the wool E:FC Fan, this is a real stinker that drags all the way through and has none of the appeal and action of the T.V. series. Maybe the teen set love it because it's something from the show, but, in my opinion, the publishers waisted their money,because it seems that is all Mr.Saberhagen was interested in. I'd almost bet that he hadn't even read the E:FC "Bible".

2.0 out of 5 stars And if you really like the word "and" you'll love this book., Nov. 30 2000
Chris Kidd (Huntington, WV) - See all my reviews
And I thought this book was really disappointing. And instead of being about how the Taelons came to Earth and it's mostly about Doors father in the 1930's. And there's more about Errol Flynn fooling around with David Niven than anything with Taelons. And Lilly Marguette is on the cover and she's not even in the book. And the author started so many sentences with "and". And it was really annoying, considering I don't think you're supposed to start a sentence with "and". And it got so bad, I couldn't help thinking every sentence started with "and".

4.0 out of 5 stars Earth Final Conflict: The Arrival, July 3 2000
I enjoyed "EFC: The Arrival." I expected the story line of the book to be somewhat different than the television series and was proven correct. There are technical errors throughout the book, many details that do not match from the television series. The mistakes will provide good trivia, faqs, topics, and related material questions that will be talked about in internet news groups and chat rooms. I have also read "EFC: The First Protector" by James White, very enjoyable.

1.0 out of 5 stars A must read - for insomniacs! A Major Yawn!, March 20 2000
What a disappointment! After eagerlay awaiting the first EFC book and having to have it 'hot off the press', after only a few chapters I wondered why I bothered. The author began the story with gusto then became mired in the most boring trivia, going on ad nauseum for over a hundred pages where nothing more happened than Doors slept / tried to find food / got lost / found his way again and had some terrible visions. The inaccuracies with the storyline were a glaring embarrassment. One could have forgiven those errors if the story had been rivetting enough to hold a reader's attention. The only saving grace, I really liked the dust cover. Please Mr. Saberhagen do your homework before you attempt another novel. It makes for excellent bedtime reading ... for an insomniac.

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disapointed, but still perhaps worth a reading, Jan. 24 2000
I thought this book was OK. Not great. I would think they would want to start the EFC book line with the best story they could get. Still this book had it's good points. It didn't totally rewrite EFC history. The story does explain how Doors starts to suspect and work against the Talons. Thats the good point of the book.
The bad points. Mainly technical plot errors. Errors which show that the writer of this book does not exactly watch the show reguarly. 1. The writer does have the Talons touching humans, taking and mimicing their DNA. 2. A rocket missile is said to have hit a Talon shuttle, but the shuttle isn't even scratched. This is contradictory to an episode in which a shuttle is destroyed by a rocket launcher. 3. This mistake was a major disapointment to read. The write says a Talon is scratched, bleeding black blood. Hello! The Talons are suppose to be pure energy! They just had an episode about the Talons being worshiped just becuase of that. There are also numerous refrenses in the show to this fact. (Like when Zo'or was a jury member in the Ro'ha trial.)
I know it's just a book based on a show, but it's still sooo much more enjoyable when a book accurately fits in with the show's plots.
Bottom line: wait for the Paper back if you must read this. Don't get me wrong, the book is good in some points. Just little details like these just ruin the plot sometimes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected (though I wasn't expecting much), Jan. 23 2000
By A Customer
Usually books that spin off of serialized TV shows tend toward the negligiable, but Saberhagen wisely sets this book at a point before the show's premiere, and sets up some backstory. Not quite as much as I'd've liked, but it's still a solid story that'll hold your attention for a little while.

1.0 out of 5 stars "Earth Final Conflict's History re-written", Jan. 15 2000
By A Customer
This book was very bad. I always have a problem when authors go back in the history of a story line without knowing what the show is all about. The author of this book doesn't watch EFC, or if he does it is a different show than I watch. He brings in things that are totally wrong, I did not like this book and will not buy the other ones when they come out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow Reading & Inaccurate Story Line, Jan. 9 2000
C. Loosen (Tacoma) - See all my reviews
The story begins with the arrival of the companions on earth. One of the last ships carrying two Taelons lands near Doors' home. Shortly after their arrival, Doors and Va'lon find themselves at the Hearst Castle which Jonathan recently purchased for $2 Billion. Jonathan's father then arrives and begins to tell of his encounter with a Taelon when he was only a teenager in 1936.
About half the 315 page book is spent describing his father's experience and the story line slows to a crawl.
The book ends in a furious battle with a militia and the deaths of several people.
The author does not provide a story which is accurate to the Earth: Final Conflict television show. The Taelons land on earth and have already assumed their pale skin color. As many of us know from the TV series, Taelons are a glowing blue color until they touch another human at which time they sample our DNA and are then capable of taking on a form similar to our own.
This book does not offer any important insight to the plot of EFC and is overall a bland read. The TV show is a visual masterpiece and the author unfortunately did not do a good job of providing a visual account of things. I was sadly disappointed and as a result I do not recommend you bother to purchase this novel. Instead check it out at a local library.

ARRAY(0xb42a5750)

Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict--The Arrival
Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict--The Arrival by Fred Saberhagen (Hardcover - Dec 17 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01