5.0 out of 5 stars Intreguing and Insightful
Published on June 4 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars a guilty pleasure diversion
like many others, i was sucked into buying this book based on my palahniuk.fetish.
it wasn't a horrid experience.
the writing is crisp. the plot moves. it's entertaining.
Published on March 1 2004 by tim_lovin

2.0 out of 5 stars will leave your mouth gaping open, but your mind dormant, April 10 2004
Jesse Swann "gandaft_08" (LA United States) - See all my reviews
My overview of this novel is that the author had very little concept of how she wanted to present a large collaboration of ideas and storyboards. She does not seem to possess a flare for fluid, concise storytelling and as a result, this novel "Chemical Pink" breaks up and goes many separate ways. The author hyper-develops one character, Charles, the eccentric female muscle hobbyist to such an exhausting degree and leaves the remainder of the characters as undeveloped afterthoughts. By the 10th instance of this creep's bizarre libido in the first 120 pages, I really wondered how this neverending lecherous spectacle would be essential to anything, and I still say this crude "Penthouse Forum" content had no major bearing on the story once it finally got going. It was just unconscionable shock value implemented to conceal (not very well) the story's deficencies. This is a very patchwork story; characters seem to always be at the right place at the right time, very reminiscent of a Wes Craven movie. The relationship between the female bodybuilder Aurora and her daughter Amy is so played out and uninspired it could have been pulled from any daytime soap. The dialogue, as a whole, is stale and predictable. I thought going in this would be a witfest imbedded with hauntingly funny dark humor, akin to Chuck Palanhiuk, whose novels always appear with this novel. It was nothing of that sort; it was dull, obvious humor with no signs of irony or underlying sentiment. I liken this novel, being a $13.95 psuedo-hardcover novel, to an expensive entree that sounds good on the menu printup, yet when you take that first bite, you wonder what you were thinking when you ordered it. Still, you feel obliged to cram the rest of it down your throat to feel that you at least got something out of the debacle. That is how I felt reading this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars a guilty pleasure diversion, March 1 2004
it wasn't a horrid experience.
the writing is crisp. the plot moves. it's entertaining.
when i finished, i felt as though the novel was forced. not as in arnoldi didn't have the material, but lacked the time to flesh out her creations the way she could have.
i later read that this was based upon a short.story. this may be a figment of my own imagination, but it would explain the feeling that i took away from the book.
i'd still recommend this as a quick.n.dirty read that will give you at least one little gasp of surprise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get it if you need it., Jan. 16 2004
By A Customer
Although I am usually quite voluble when it comes to works of fiction, I have very little to say about Katie Arnoldi's CHEMICAL PINK except: Get it if you need it. I recommended this book to someone who was dangerously addicted to the art of body-crafting and it changed his life. If you also suffer from this increasingly widespread addiction, you must read this book.
Please stop comparing this highly therapeutic novel to to the "work" of that illiterate known as "chuckpalahniuk." Unlike FIGHT CLUB, this isn't fiction for dumb jocks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...very, very interesting, Jan. 6 2004
Okay, so I will admit that the reason I picked this book up is because I thought the cover picture was a naked man with really big pecs!!! Obviously it wasn't, but after reading about the plot I decided to give it a try.
I have to say that I can't even figure out if I liked the book or not. It kept my interest, and I read it in one sitting, but I didn't finish it and think, "Wow, that's a keeper!"
So, every other reviewer has gone over the plot, and I must say that it was an odd plot. I had never really thought about women body builders and the life that they lead. If this book is an honest example of the life they lead then it makes me wonder why anyone would do it?
I did notice in the other reviews that people talk about the graphic, kinky sex in the book. The acts are definitely pretty kinky, but the author doesn't go into too much detail.
Overall, I don't know if I would really recommend it, or read it again, but I don't feel that I wasted time in reading it.

2.0 out of 5 stars 4... 3.... 2....., Dec 22 2003
Eric Krupin (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
In retrospect, the most impressive thing about this book was the author's ability to get as grise an eminence as Joan Didion - whose neurasthenic "Play It As It Lays" was clearly a stylistic influence here - to provide a front-cover blurb.
It starts out genuinely creepy, with a clinically sharp eye for the grotesqueries of bodybuilding fashion and steroid abuse. But it quickly becomes apparent that Arnoldi has only one effective shot in her posing routine. And the ending is so ludicrous that it wipes out any residual good will still remaining.
Samuel W. Fussell's memoir "Muscle: Confessions of an Unlikely Bodybuilder" covers this same ground for more thoroughly and interestingly. And it's still available on Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars graphic sad tale, Aug. 16 2003
R. Pettie (OWINGS MILLS, MARYLAND United States) - See all my reviews
Why would anyone put themselves through the mess that pro bodybuilders indulge in?...especially female bodybuilders...
read the book...fascinating, graphic and more than just entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars weird and uninteresting, Aug. 8 2003
Ryan Pritchard "thor_oakenfelder" (Mesa, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I couldn't figure out whether to be disturbed with the writing or with the fact that I convinced myself to buy it and read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars White Hot Film Festival Opener... Chemical Pink !, July 18 2003
M. Oberhofer - See all my reviews
That's right... Over 40 reviews with 4 star average ratings
and touching more controversial hot buttons than a Drudge Report
Chemical Pink is really steam heated exotic heightened reality
in hometown Santa Monica/Venice operating on different levels of perception.It declares itself from the 1st chapter and
demands..... BIG SCREEN!!
What about the other half of the same
equation...? When the Professor is ..FEMALE or when the
subject is a ..YOUNG ACTOR.

2.0 out of 5 stars TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED!, July 14 2003
Olga Troyansky (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This book was a total dissapointment! Although I must commend the subject matter on being interesting, I cannot begin to tell you how unhappy I was with the style of writing. The characters were undeveloped, everytime you were getting excited with the plot the story line just went flat. It was like a bad roller-coaster ride. I was interested in reading this book before because I saw that it was compared to a Chuck Palahniuk novel. IT DOESNT EVEN COME CLOSE!! I would not recommend this book to anybody, its a waste of your time! If you are really interested in "behind the scenes" of body building, there has to be something better that you can read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intreguing and Insightful, June 4 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Chemical Pink: A Novel of Obsession (Hardcover)
In Chemical Pink, Katie Arnoldi explores and exposes a dark and unkown side of women's bodybuilding. Its an erotic tale of obsession and sacrifice. It illustrates what many female bodybuilders need to go through and what they sacrifice to be successful. It is an enjoyable book and I didn't put it down. Sex, drugs, and muscles. The characters were well established. This book was entertaining, disturbing, and comical at times. I enjoyed every minute of it.

ARRAY(0xb42b9f48)

Chemical Pink: A Novel of Obsession
Chemical Pink: A Novel of Obsession by Katie Arnoldi (Hardcover - March 7 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01