5.0 out of 5 stars Ressurection
An Amazing Book . What Can I Say More , It's major Scary And it's a must buy ! how the story is told , it's amazing
Published on Dec 30 2011 by Robert Boutin

1.0 out of 5 stars great disappointment
Published on Oct. 26 2009 by Brenda Pink

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ressurection, Dec 30 2011
Robert Boutin - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars great disappointment, Oct. 26 2009
Brenda Pink "snorkelgeek" (Lethbridge, AB, CAN) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I'm not really sure what I was expecting when I purchased this book. All I know is that it wasn't what I got. First of all, I wasn't aware this book was the second in a trilogy. That ended up not being a problem as the book stands alone as a single novel. I wasn't expecting a full-fledged sci fi book, which this most definitely is. I wasn't expecting all the sexual content that was in the book. I'm not a prude, but bring this up only as a warning to others who might not like to read that sort of thing. The premise of the storyline is that life on earth cycles over and over until we get it right. What that means from a reader's perspective is that the plot jumps all over hell and creation, which made the storyline a mess and hard to follow. Unless you take notes as you read, you cannot figure out the order of events within the storyline. If this is an indication of Alten's regular writing style, I have no desire to read any other of his books.

1.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A BLUCKING MESS..!!, Sept. 23 2010
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
If I ever make a list of the worst books I ever wasted time on, this book would sure lock a Top-10 position. IT IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!

First of all, the story is all over the place. Characters are built up only to fizzle and die off. Plot threads that lead nowhere. Ancient civilization prophecies, half-baked deism iconography, bad 70's science fiction concepts, pop-psychology, chakra points and pseudoscience all baked in tons of LACTIC ACID. Rarely was I more tempted to quit reading a book before finishing it.

"Tachyon engines", "tractor beams", "guns set on stunt", "enter the nexus", "computer, lights!" - sound familiar? Well, the STAR TREK universe seems to be plugging every creativity hole encountered. Not to mention the alien starship of unknown origin, the Balam, that looks strangely like a cross between SSN Defiance and the Starship Yamamoto (yes, there is a ...photoshop-rendered picture).

Finally, the..."science". In the back dust-jacket Steve Alten claims to have earned a Master's in Sports Medicine from the University of Delaware as well as a Doctorate from Temple University. Well, if these institutions knew how little regard he holds for research and scientific accuracy they would be asking for their degrees back!
Case in point: on p.307 Steve Alten claims that "there are over 100,000 different genes in the human genome" - a notion that is at least 25 years old. Evidence presented in the past 15-20 years brought the number down and in 2004 the Human Genome Project concluded that there are no more than 20,000-25,000 genes in our genome. This book was published much later, in 2006 - but of course the writer could not be bothered to verify his facts.
And I am not even going to go into the absolutely baseless claim that "our species is still only capable of using only 10% of our brain". What is this, the ...1950's?

If there is such a thing as a hell, I cannot imagine it without this book in its library.
AVOID. AT ALL COSTS.

1.0 out of 5 stars Resurrection "Why I Should Not Waste Hard Earned Money?", June 5 2004
Gerard V. Beard Jr. "gerryb45" (Arcadia, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
To date, I have read every book that Mr. Alten has written. They have been "GREAT" each and every one of them, until now. I purchased Resurrection and I'm about half way through the book and I am "BORED STIFF!" Mr. Altens other works were fased paced and loaded with Action/Adventure that took you into the book and had your blood pumping. Resurrection, on the other hand, can put one to sleep real quick. It would be nice if books like this came with a "Money Back Guarantee." I purchased Primal Waters last week and I'm waiting for the Postman to deliver it as I speak, I just hope it's nothing like "Resurrection!" Mr. Alten if you ever read this I hope you go back to your old style of writing!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Page Turner, June 2 2004
J. M. Tkalec "the Candleman" (Akron, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
Wow! What a great follow-up to "Domain"! I was hoping I could read this book while relaxing in the evenings... I was wrong! I got so hooked on the characters and story and so engrossed in the action that I couldn't put it down! The way Steve Alten brings real science into his fictional worlds is astounding; makes every situation seem as plausable as tomorrow's sunrise!
If you're not already a Steve Alten fan, this book with hook you!
Dive into the world of Domain and Resurrection and join the rest of us, waiting with baited breath, for the final installment in this trilogy!

5.0 out of 5 stars a great book based on the mayan myths, May 20 2004
jon m hudson (statesboro, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
this book was great, especially for anyone interested in archaeology or the central american myths, once you start reading you will not be able to put it down. the story is a continuation of domain, in resurrection the mayan myth of the hero twins is played out in modern times with a few twists and turns thrown in,jacob and immanuel the sons of one hunahpu are born after the dissapearence of their father after he saves the earth fron the mayan prophacy of 2012, as they grow up they realize that they have to save their father from the underworld, and save earth and the future from destruction. this book is a must read, you will not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars true page turner, May 17 2004
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
I have read this book, and many others from this author, but have to say, this is a true masterpiece of written science-fiction. A great follow-up to his Domain novel. The entire story will have you hooked from cover to cover, and you won't want to put this book down until you are done, and even then, you will want to get the final chapter to see how this story ends. Anybody who is new to science fiction or even a seasioned sci-fi veteran will enjoy this story. I highly recommend this book to anybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best book i've ever read!, May 14 2004
Josh Moore (Platteville, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
Steve Alten is, in my opinion, the best author in the world, and this book proves it! I saw this book at Borders and had to buy it right away. When I strated reading it, i couldn't stop becasue it was so good. It's captiviating, suspensful, excting, and wonderful. I read it three times in a row! If you love science fiction or if you're just looking for a book to read, read one of Steve Alten's books! You won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love, death and betrayal at the end of the world, May 14 2004
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
I have fond memories of reading Domain, the prequal to Ressurection. The pacing, the plot twists, and the mood kept the pages turning long after I should have been sleeping or doing work. That being said, I wasn't very excited about the recently released sequal. I wasn't sure how Mr. Alten could top what I considered to be an amazing work of science fiction. I'm extremely glad I relented and bought this book.
Moreso than in the previous installment, Ressurection is almost agressively character driven. Throughout the course of the story, I find myself caring for the characters, even some of the psychotic villains from Domain. The real shining star of this novel, however, is Lileth. A tragic and beautiful young girl; her descent into madness is as enthralling as it is heart-breaking. Next to Simon Covah of Goliath, Lileth is the most well-rounded and intriguing character Steve Alten has ever created. I'd go so far as to suggest this book on the basis of her character alone.
But if it's more science fiction you want, the book delivers near the halfway point. Taking place in the near future, it's great fun looking at the author's view of what our world could look like someday soon.
Last but not least, however, is the return of the Mayan prophecies. If you enjoyed them in Domain, you'll love Ressurection, which establishes them extremely well.
I give this book a four out of five because while it is spectacular, there are some disturbing scenes that might not appeal to everyone. Other than that, though, it's a fun read.
The Domain series is the literary equivalent of the Matrix trilogy. Don't miss out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book unusual story, May 14 2004
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
I would have rated this book a 5 had it gone into more details on the Mayan and Christian myths and as Domain had. Domain was most definitely a 6 on a scale of 1-5. The story was unique and the ending without giving away too much may have been the way Adam and Eve started and the does not deny the existence of God. I hope the 3rd book will be as good. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MR. ALTEN!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb15e1a14)

Resurrection
Resurrection by Steve Alten (Hardcover - Feb. 21 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.68