Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage summerbaby Furniture Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(1 star)show all reviews
I'm not really sure what I was expecting when I purchased this book. All I know is that it wasn't what I got. First of all, I wasn't aware this book was the second in a trilogy. That ended up not being a problem as the book stands alone as a single novel. I wasn't expecting a full-fledged sci fi book, which this most definitely is. I wasn't expecting all the sexual content that was in the book. I'm not a prude, but bring this up only as a warning to others who might not like to read that sort of thing. The premise of the storyline is that life on earth cycles over and over until we get it right. What that means from a reader's perspective is that the plot jumps all over hell and creation, which made the storyline a mess and hard to follow. Unless you take notes as you read, you cannot figure out the order of events within the storyline. If this is an indication of Alten's regular writing style, I have no desire to read any other of his books.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If I ever make a list of the worst books I ever wasted time on, this book would sure lock a Top-10 position. IT IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!

First of all, the story is all over the place. Characters are built up only to fizzle and die off. Plot threads that lead nowhere. Ancient civilization prophecies, half-baked deism iconography, bad 70's science fiction concepts, pop-psychology, chakra points and pseudoscience all baked in tons of LACTIC ACID. Rarely was I more tempted to quit reading a book before finishing it.

"Tachyon engines", "tractor beams", "guns set on stunt", "enter the nexus", "computer, lights!" - sound familiar? Well, the STAR TREK universe seems to be plugging every creativity hole encountered. Not to mention the alien starship of unknown origin, the Balam, that looks strangely like a cross between SSN Defiance and the Starship Yamamoto (yes, there is a ...photoshop-rendered picture).

Finally, the..."science". In the back dust-jacket Steve Alten claims to have earned a Master's in Sports Medicine from the University of Delaware as well as a Doctorate from Temple University. Well, if these institutions knew how little regard he holds for research and scientific accuracy they would be asking for their degrees back!
Case in point: on p.307 Steve Alten claims that "there are over 100,000 different genes in the human genome" - a notion that is at least 25 years old. Evidence presented in the past 15-20 years brought the number down and in 2004 the Human Genome Project concluded that there are no more than 20,000-25,000 genes in our genome. This book was published much later, in 2006 - but of course the writer could not be bothered to verify his facts.
And I am not even going to go into the absolutely baseless claim that "our species is still only capable of using only 10% of our brain". What is this, the ...1950's?

If there is such a thing as a hell, I cannot imagine it without this book in its library.
AVOID. AT ALL COSTS.
on March 24, 2004
"Domain" is one of the best science fiction books I have ever read. Definately in my top 5. In addition, I've read every other book Alten has written, which is why it pains me so much to write a negative review, almost as much as it pained me to read "Resurrection."
I normally don't buy books, but instead check them out from the library, and if I do buy a book, I wait until it comes out in paperback. I loved "Domain" so much that I pre-ordered "Resurrection" months ago. Probably the first hardcover book I've bought in years. The story gets off to a good start, but falls apart after the first few chapters. This book is nothing like Domain. Whereas Domain had a great Mayan/Alien storyline, Resurrection almost completely abandons this and shifts over to a plot involving aliens, time travel, and Heaven & Hell. The word "Mayan" appears in this book maybe 5 times. No more visits to Chichen Itza or theories involving the Yucutan crater, which is what made Domain such a great book.
Resurrection focuses mainly on Michael Gabriel's twin sons, and what I think is their quest to free their father. I still don't know if I have any idea what the book was really about. Characters that seem important, are introduced, built up, and then killed or removed a few chapters later. Alten focuses the first half of the book on the twins, and the latter half on the aliens, in what comes off almost as two completely different books. He introduces the concept of wormholes, time travel, species evolution, the afterlife, and so many other concepts that will have you completely confused as to what is going on. All of this culminates into one of the most anti-climatic endings I have ever read. I actually started reading a new book with 10 pages to go because it felt like such a chore to finish it. I have been forcing myself to read 2 or 3 pages a night so I can be done with it.
As I aid, it hurts me to give my favorite author a negative review, but this book is truely deserving of it. While I don't doubt it will appeal to some, I didn't buy it for a space fantasy. I bought it to recapture all of the great memories I had from reading Domain. Unfortunately, the best part of this novel is the sneak preview of Alten's next book, "Primal Waters." Hopefully he will learn from "Resurrection" and his continuation of the MEG series won't stray too far from the original.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
To date, I have read every book that Mr. Alten has written. They have been "GREAT" each and every one of them, until now. I purchased Resurrection and I'm about half way through the book and I am "BORED STIFF!" Mr. Altens other works were fased paced and loaded with Action/Adventure that took you into the book and had your blood pumping. Resurrection, on the other hand, can put one to sleep real quick. It would be nice if books like this came with a "Money Back Guarantee." I purchased Primal Waters last week and I'm waiting for the Postman to deliver it as I speak, I just hope it's nothing like "Resurrection!" Mr. Alten if you ever read this I hope you go back to your old style of writing!