5.0 out of 5 stars love roberts books
enjoyable escape to watch over and over, love sci fi channel shows, added to my collection for rainy days and wintery nights
Published 8 months ago by Gerri

2.0 out of 5 stars End of an Era Indeed
Published on Feb. 13 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars love roberts books, July 29 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars End of an Era Indeed, Feb. 13 2004
This review is from: End of An Era (Paperback)
This is the first of Sawyer's books that I did not enjoy. I thought the combination of dinosaurs and time-travel would be a winning combination. That's what I get for thinking. The plot was boring and a bit far-fetched for my tastes. There's a certain level of believability that I like and this one didn't fall within the parameters. The characters were dull or irritating. The dino encounters were lackluster. The plot was, to me, a bit silly. The sub-plots, even sillier. I would be more specific but it would require me to give away plot points in the book. I may be critical but I don't wish to ruin anyone elses read. They may find the book delightful. I did not.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Review Of "End Of An Era" By Robert J. Sawyer, Jan. 9 2006
This review is from: End of An Era (Paperback)
Dinosaurs are fantastical creatures that once existed. How cool is that?! Stories about dinosaurs are cool too, if told well. End Of An Era is a fun, quick read about scientists travelling to the Mesozoic, hoping to figure out why dinosaurs became extinct, when they discover that aliens had something to do with it. The story has elements of Robert Heinlein's classic The Puppet Masters, along with interesting facts about dinosaurs, and a compelling story.
All of Sawyer's books are interesting to read, and I've read most of them. My main complaint is his writing style: it's simple; he seems to intentionally write with little imagery or style, using colloquialisms and cultural references too much. Yet, his ideas are fascinating, and he knows how to get his point across. I've read most of his books more than once; they are fun to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Odd, Feb. 25 2004
dandysmom "dandysmom" (washington, dc United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: End of An Era (Paperback)
I was expecting more of a "Jurassic Park" novel, so thid was a bit of a surprise. It's an OK read, but the characters are one-dimensional. Iliked his Hominids books, but this was sort of strange.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Twist in the Tale, Nov. 23 2003
Mona Albano "Documentation Consultant" (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: End of An Era (Paperback)
This book has an intriguing idea for an alternate history of the earth. And, true to Sawyer's roots, it takes place in Canada and mentions real Canadian locations and institutions, such as the Royal Tyrrell Museum of dinosaurs in the badlands of Drumheller, Alberta. Two scientists go back 65 million years to the extinction of the dinosaurs, to try to verify the cause. The expedition is launched from the Royal Tyrrell Museum Field Station at Dinosaur Provincial Park in an under-equipped time capsule. What they find is much more than just dinosaurs. They find an alien life-form from Mars using the dinosaurs as vehicles. The two scientists disagree on whether to bring the aliens forward in time to save them from the drying-out of Mars.
There's another twist to the tale: this is about alternate histories, after all...
As usual, Sawyer's prose is no more than workmanlike, but he keeps us intriqued with a flow of new ideas, cutting between his alternate histories, and enough personal conflict and feeling to get us involved with his main character.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rollicking fun, Feb. 27 2003
This review is from: End of An Era (Paperback)
End of an Era is rollicking fun science fiction with many twists. Plots and ideas come naturally to Sawyer but the seams pop when he attempts modern characterization. Give him credit for trying, though.
While I love his page-a-minute ideas, his explanations of mundane events strain credibility. For example, why was the time travel venture so low budget they needed to buy second-hand goods (p. 53)? His explanation of a world recession (p. 95) is ridiculous - Sawyer has never been good at economics but this just made me laugh. Meanwhile, Sawyer would have us think a time travel venture needs good PR (p. 53). Also, why were 2 rivals (only 2 for this mission?) sent back in time? The explanation on p. 148 was hardly satisfying (i.e. mission control spent a lot of time debating it). Finally, why doesn't Thackeray identify himself as a doctor to a fellow scientist (p. 78)? The scientist refuses to listen to him until Thackeray mentions he's a doctor on p. 132. The reason for the delay, of course, is to have the resolution of this plot line occur later in the novel.
Despite these minor quibbles, the novel's far-fetched ideas had me smiling throughout the book. The writing is crisp and the twists hooked me until the end. Sawyer's knowledge of paleontology and physics kept the science fiction elements believable. I highly recommend this book to anyone seeking fun science fiction. Like many of the reviewers, I also enjoyed other Sawyer books such as Terminal Experiment and Starplex.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dino book I read (jeff), Feb. 25 2003
This review is from: End of An Era (Paperback)
End of an Era is a great book about two scientists who go back in time to see how the dinosuars died. It has some mystery, and theories on how the dinosaurs died. This book has aliens, dinosaurs, and two humans that will fight to stay alive in half gravity. I think it is a great sci-fi book and is fun to read. On a scale of one through five I would give this book a five star rating. This is a good book in my opinion for ages eleven and up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Time Travel with a Twist, Feb. 9 2003
This review is from: End of An Era (Paperback)
END OF AN ERA is a time travel novel back to the era of dinosaurs. Not only do we find dinosaurs but the galaxy itself is active with sentient beings - including Martians. It's hard to give too much of a plot description without giving away some surprises. Suffice it say, Sawyer gives us a very unique twist on a familiar theme.

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible edibles, Nov. 18 2002
This review is from: End of An Era (Paperback)
This one really got me thinking. Dinosaurs infected with intelligent viruses? Like Dinotopia meets The Body Snatchers. Time travel. This one's got just about every sci-fi gimmick imaginable. A very intriguing read, but don't expect it to be very believable. Compare another recent dinosaur saga, Dinosuar Wars, and you get a very different take on what happened at the end of the Dinosaur Era. I think I enjoyed Dinosaur Wars better for its believable return of the creatures, and the fact that they weren't occupied, as in End of an Era, by intelligent viruses that controlled their activities. It's safe to say this book is far fetched. But it's fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alway Good Robert Saywer, July 30 2002
Shane Jaworski (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: End of An Era (Paperback)
If you are looking for a entertaining "what if" type author, Robert Saywer is the author to buy. As for this book, I was quite happy with the idea behind it and the way the story was presented. The book is page-turner right from the start. The only problem I had was the length. I wish I could have had more time in the world that Saywer created. It felt like the story was over as soon has it started. It seems like this book could have had 100 more pages and added to the story. However, this is still a great book worth reading.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb4663b34)

End of An Era
End of An Era by Robert J. Sawyer (Paperback - Oct. 19 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.09