Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on September 5, 2015
Overall, it's alright. Certainly not a page turner. It takes a looooooong time to get into. I honestly had to force myself to read the whole thing and it took over a year to do (could only read a few pages at a time some times). I wasn't sure what was happening throughout the novel and even after I finished it, I had to read the wiki plot.

It starts off leading in one direction, and then goes all over the place. I realize that the author compiled it originally as separate works, but they really don't flow well together. He tries to bring in too many themes and too many sub plots and too many characters.

There are a lot of fantastically vivid, wild and imaginative concepts presented. My favourite part was just reading about strange characters and beings. It's certainly high fantasy (high high fantasy) and the writing style is absolutely incredible! I wish I could write as well as Wolfe, he has such a unique talent for words I haven't seen elsewhere.
on August 2, 2015
Not for the faint of heart, Gene Wolfe will challenge the reader and reward the effort with an amazing series that has stayed with me for thirty years. Must Reread again and again.
on January 20, 2013
Right off the bat I found it hard to get into the story. Didn't seem to have any kind of flow.
on September 10, 2008
I don't have any credentials whatsoever - I don't have a degree, so this is going to be a plain-jane working man's review. I spent some hard earned money on this series so I feel compelled to read them - however much I don't want to.

The writing in the this novel is allegorical and thick. It reminds me of Gormenghast and Dahlgren (which was about the worst book I've ever tried to read) in it's prose, or maybe even James Joyce's Portrait of the artist as a young man.

The plot had a good premise but nothing in the novel is concrete - which I guess is OK if you want to ponder on what the whole thing means (if it does even have a meaning). All this would be forgivable (I've been reading Gardens of The Moon - the series which is fairly incomprehensible) if there was some action or story that was engaging.

As it is it's just a jumble of mythic allegory, dream sequences, sex, and violence.

This novel would be best catogorized if you took a Greek Myth, left the symbology intact, and had it narrarated in the first person.

I would say that if you like Kafka type novels you'd probably like it. If your looking for a novel that you can follow, identify with the characters, and share in a plot arc that lets the characters develop - this novel isn't for you.

In short : not bad but certainly not good reading either.
on September 8, 2008
I purchased this book as a recommendation from a friend who enjoys the same genre of novels as I do. His initial description of this book was deceptive, however.

The world itself is interesting, and I very much liked the concept of a Torturer's guild, and the way it's presented. That being said, the plot seemed a bit thin to me, and the language used almost over-flowery at times. Wolfe seems to lose himself in his prose, and more than once I had to go back and sometimes reread a few pages, just to understand what had happened. The lines between science fiction and surrealism are blurred here, and I haven't read many books like this, which is why I have little appreciation for it.

An interesting book, yes. A classic? I'm not sure yet. I purchased both Shadow & Claw and Sword & Citadel, and I will read the other two books before I can judge the series accordingly. My advice: Try to find a sample of the prose before you purchase. If you find it difficult, it might be a better idea to borrow this from a library than purchase it cold, like I did. Of course, if that isn't a concern to you, then go for it! I don't regret the purchase, if only for the uniqueness of some of the ideas contained in these books.
on July 12, 2004
This book is one of the most beautiful writings ever produced in the English language. It is not what I would call an accessible "storytelling" book; Stephen King is the master at writing such novels. This book is beautifully written and complex at every level, from each sentence to the whole story and every image and thought it creates in one's mind. It is also an unforgiving book -- nothing is really explained. But, the book rewards careful reading and re-reading. I enjoy it anew every time I read it. My son has read it several times since he was a teenager and has become enthralled. Without compromising, Wolfe is letting his central character tell a story that takes place in a culture and a physical environment far removed from our own. The reader must struggle to comprehend this alien landscape with only the unfamiliar and idiomatic, but still human, narrative of a single person from this other time in the far future.
on June 24, 2004
I'm usually not too hip on the sci-fi/fantasy stuff, but this book is different. Great characters, and plenty of twists and turns. Finished it in a couple of days and i don't even really like to read.
on June 8, 2004
This is the greatest, most intelligent modern work of fiction I have ever read. I dont profess that is necessarily benevolant, but it is what it is, and deserves recognition. To say it is well worwth the read, is an understatement.
on May 20, 2004
I find it astounding that some reviewers think that those who didn't like this book have no imagination. I would like to start by saying that I'm a huge fan of obscure, bizarre and challenging fiction. Some of my favorite writers are Jonathan Caroll, Murakami, Jeff Noon, Mark Daniliewski, to name just a few. That should give you an idea that I definitely do not like to be "spoonfed".
But..... It's not an invention of the unimaginative that a book of fiction, and especially a novel, must have a plot, and a continuity. It is not an ivention of the "dumbened" by mainstream that in a work of fiction, ideas must tie into the plot. A story must have a climax, or at least if one part of it ends with a cliffhanger the next one must pick up where the previous one left off. Those are RULES OF LITERATURE, people! No matter what kind of writing you like you just can't ignore those! A work of fiction does not necessarily have to tell a story in a simple, easily understandable way, but it MUST TELL A STORY. If a work of fiction does not have a plot it is either a) not a work of fiction or, b) a rather bad work of fiction. Putting together a nice collection of interesting thoughts and colorful scenes does not turn them into a novel.
The reason I'm giving 2 stars is because the first book in this series is not bad. It creates a wild setting, interesting characters and a great premise. I swallowed the first book really quickly, and could not wait to get to the second. Unfortunately, the second book is simply horrendous. I did not mind the weird language, by the way. That's not my gripe. My gripe is that the book wanders without aim all over the place. There is simply NO PLOT, no matter which way you put it. Hey, I thought Severian was sent to this city in the north to do his guild's work there. What the heck is he doing joining a theater troupe, having sex with pretty much every female he comes across and, in general, doing things that have neither reason nor point???
Maybe I'm in fact stupid and just don't get it. This seems to be the common explanation from all the reviewers who give this book 5 stars. But, easy as it is to say, I'm yet to see at least one of them explain exactly WHAT makes this book so great. It's easy to say "this is amazing". But WHAT is so amazing? WHAT revelations are you talking about, WHAT subtleties, WHAT twists, WHAT complexities? Name just one! Then I might start believing you.
on May 7, 2004
Are people losing their they need an obvious resolution for everything? To be spoonfed? Do they need the thinking to be done for them? All these people giving this book 1-3 stars for the wrong reasons...if you do not like it, if it's not to your taste, then you have every right to state your opinion, but to say this book is full of pointless passages and whatnot is mock it for using a vocabulary you don't understand? Gene Wolfe has and can write a book with simple vocabulary that is still complex, but this book, for many ovbvious reasons, called for a rich vocabulary with many different language roots. Figure it out. Read carefully cause there isn't a wasted breath...things do happen for a reason, they're just not explained explicitly...what's the point in telling the readers ruin the fun...anyways, my gripe is people who trash something they don't understand...