5.0 out of 5 stars Another must have Kenyon novel!
Published on Dec 14 2008 by Me

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected Better
Published on July 16 2009 by Eileen Kellar

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected Better, July 16 2009
Eileen Kellar (Britsh Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acheron: A Dark-Hunter Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read Sherrilyn Kenyon's books with great pleasure in the past. However, this book was a real disappointment. The first half of the book is boring and depressing. There is very little plot or character development. Sometimes I was left wondering why the characters said and did such stupid things. Very little of the "why" or "how" was explained, so the result was that the story became superficial and meaningless. After reading the first dozen or so extensive descriptions of torture, they lost their impact. I was hoping for something more layered; I truly hope the next book is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another must have Kenyon novel!, Dec 14 2008
Me (Toronto, Ont.) - See all my reviews
With his past hinted at in so many of the previous Dark-Hunter novels, finally having one that gives you all the details helps to ease the curiosity that was built through out the series about him. Was it heart-wrenching to read about it, absolutely! Definitly a box of tissues is a must have companion when reading this book! Betrayal is typically why most people in "real life" don't trust and have issues that become obstacles to their obtaining happiness. And most people in "real life" want someone that shares their interests, or at the very least understands them on a deep level. Sherrilyn Kenyon's novels provide these fundamental foundations in every book, in a way that never seems to get stale, or cliched. Repeatedly she is able to take what is truly a basic concept and spin it into the most amazing of tales that will always have a special place on my bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars Archeron, July 17 2012
This review is from: Acheron: A Dark-Hunter Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
I have waited for this book for a very long time and was completely thrilled with it. For those of you who did not enjoy it I would suggest going back and reading the other books that came before it. Archeron is a wonderful character and I was excited to finally get to read his story. Any fan of Sherrlynn Kenyons series waited a long time for this book to come out and as a fan I absolutely loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait, Aug. 16 2008
Miranda Burfield "daniorsodalis" (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This was so worth the wait for Acheron's story. Sherrilyn Kenyon released a book that is two books in one and I couldn't put it down until it was finished. Definately buy it, read it and then you will find yourself reading it again its so good! So stop reading this review and go get the book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite a terrible read, April 19 2010
S. Benders (Edmonton, AB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acheron: A Dark-Hunter Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
This book really is quite hard to get through. The book is extremely repetitive, which only really serves to drive the point home. The protagonist has been severely handicapped and abused. Apart from the sometimes quite visual and terrible abuses, one just about wants to tear one's hair out at the stupidity and incredibility of some of the characters. While trying in a quasi-psychological style to justify the behaviour of her characters, Kenyon really takes us for a ride: they're rather stereotypical and a tough sale to any sane reader out there.

For such a long read, the reward is rather poorly. I was left quite frustrated. I don't consider the book to be the worst of the worst (hence the two stars), because I was able to finish it and I liked the 'twist' with the main character, Acheron, rising to power and operating in our day and age. The interaction between the divine and our secular daily life was quite rewarding and the story was definitely more interesting in this second part of the book. But really... hundreds of pages preceding it just to let us know what a psychologically damaged kid our Acheron was, is just too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling read, Jan. 4 2010
I thought the story of Acheron was a very compelling read. Yes the story was tragic in the beginning, but that made the later part of the book even better. Because of all the horrible experiences he had, including the unhealthy relationship he has with Artemis, I found myself hoping that things would get better for him. As awful as his relationship with Artemis is, I was happy to discover that some good resulted from their dysfunctional relationship.
There were a lot of questions that I had about Acheron from reading the other Dark-Hunter books, because he is by far the most interesting character out of all the Dark-Hunters, Dream-Hunters and Weres that she has created. It also makes his character even more honourable after you find out what happened to him at the beginning of his life. After the bad experiences in his life, instead of becoming bitter, he chose to help others in need. I like how he is around when people need him the most and I wonder what will happen between himself and the Malachai (I won't reveal who that is in case you haven't gotten that far yet).
I would recommend this book to others, although you should probably read some of the other Dark-Hunter books before reading it to get some background on some of the other characters and events.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG, Sept. 18 2014
Sherrilyn Kenyon has out done herself telling a complete full heart wrenching story about Acheron. This is her master-piece. I walked away feeling fully satisfied with this story. Five huge/hot/gut wrenching STARS!

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, excruciating, unimaginative, May 22 2011
Rebecca Shanks "rs" (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Horrible. I wish I could get a refund.

This is the first Sherrilyn Kenyon book I've read and, if this book is anything to go by, I am at a loss to understand her popularity. The writing is just so bad.

First, the characters are one-dimensional and do not change. Second, the book is waaaaaaaaay too long for the content it contains. Case in point: the endlessly repetitive torture scenes. Do we really need to experience these in minute detail over and over? We get it, okay? Poor Acheron is all alone in the world. Nobody likes him. Can we move forward? Please? That leads me to my third observation: nothing happens. I mean, once you remove the torture scenes, nobody is really doing anything. None of the characters are changing/growing/learning...it's just more beatings. Acheron keeps bemoaning his fate. The king keeps punishing Acheron for existing. The princess remains a constant fool. This just goes on and on and on and on...what is the point? It is tedious.

I made it halfway through the book but I can't take any more. I just don't care anymore what happens to any of these characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars heart wrenching book, Feb. 17 2014
It made me cry, it made me angry, disgusted me and I loved it all. it is not for everyone but it took me two days to read and yes I work.
You just had to keep reading to know what would happen next to this poor tortured soul. I read on of Ms Kenyon's books I bought at a small book shop and I was hooked. Her books sweep you away, they make you care about the characters and what happens to them. I love her books and this one is one of her best to this point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet The Boss, Dec 24 2013
Acheron is definitely one of my favourite books in the series. When I first read Dance With the Devil, I fell in love with him and I was excited when I picked up the series again to find that he had his own book!

I bought this one to have a hardcover edition to match my copy of Styxx, and it's sitting on my shelf.

Acheron: A Dark-Hunter Novel
Acheron: A Dark-Hunter Novel by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Mass Market Paperback - March 31 2009)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49