Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on July 16, 2009
I have read Sherrilyn Kenyon's books with great pleasure in the past. However, this book was a real disappointment. The first half of the book is boring and depressing. There is very little plot or character development. Sometimes I was left wondering why the characters said and did such stupid things. Very little of the "why" or "how" was explained, so the result was that the story became superficial and meaningless. After reading the first dozen or so extensive descriptions of torture, they lost their impact. I was hoping for something more layered; I truly hope the next book is better.
on July 17, 2012
I have waited for this book for a very long time and was completely thrilled with it. For those of you who did not enjoy it I would suggest going back and reading the other books that came before it. Archeron is a wonderful character and I was excited to finally get to read his story. Any fan of Sherrlynn Kenyons series waited a long time for this book to come out and as a fan I absolutely loved it.
on December 14, 2008
With his past hinted at in so many of the previous Dark-Hunter novels, finally having one that gives you all the details helps to ease the curiosity that was built through out the series about him. Was it heart-wrenching to read about it, absolutely! Definitly a box of tissues is a must have companion when reading this book! Betrayal is typically why most people in "real life" don't trust and have issues that become obstacles to their obtaining happiness. And most people in "real life" want someone that shares their interests, or at the very least understands them on a deep level. Sherrilyn Kenyon's novels provide these fundamental foundations in every book, in a way that never seems to get stale, or cliched. Repeatedly she is able to take what is truly a basic concept and spin it into the most amazing of tales that will always have a special place on my bookshelf!
on September 28, 2011
I had read this book first not realizing it was part of a series. I thought it was wonderful and it made me look further into the author and purchase the complete series and when I got to the Acheron book, in the correct reading order of the series, again and reread it I still found it to be a great book. Yes his back story is quite abusive but I find it helps the reader to realize and appreciate the person he becomes at the end of it all. No book ever made me feel so sad and then so happy for a character ever before. Acheron is my most favourite character in any book I've ever read.
on July 15, 2015
This is by far my all time favorite book from Sherrylin Kenyon. This was the first book from her Dark-Hunter series that I've read and I could not be happier. It may have been a bit out of order but readng through the series after readng ths book was just incredible after learning all about Acheron. I would gladly reccommend this read to anyone looking for an interesting romance twist. I love Kenyon's character build and just can't find another author with the same quality writing and character development as her.
on May 22, 2011
Horrible. I wish I could get a refund.

This is the first Sherrilyn Kenyon book I've read and, if this book is anything to go by, I am at a loss to understand her popularity. The writing is just so bad.

First, the characters are one-dimensional and do not change. Second, the book is waaaaaaaaay too long for the content it contains. Case in point: the endlessly repetitive torture scenes. Do we really need to experience these in minute detail over and over? We get it, okay? Poor Acheron is all alone in the world. Nobody likes him. Can we move forward? Please? That leads me to my third observation: nothing happens. I mean, once you remove the torture scenes, nobody is really doing anything. None of the characters are changing/growing/'s just more beatings. Acheron keeps bemoaning his fate. The king keeps punishing Acheron for existing. The princess remains a constant fool. This just goes on and on and on and on...what is the point? It is tedious.

I made it halfway through the book but I can't take any more. I just don't care anymore what happens to any of these characters.
on February 17, 2014
It made me cry, it made me angry, disgusted me and I loved it all. it is not for everyone but it took me two days to read and yes I work.
You just had to keep reading to know what would happen next to this poor tortured soul. I read on of Ms Kenyon's books I bought at a small book shop and I was hooked. Her books sweep you away, they make you care about the characters and what happens to them. I love her books and this one is one of her best to this point.
on August 16, 2008
This was so worth the wait for Acheron's story. Sherrilyn Kenyon released a book that is two books in one and I couldn't put it down until it was finished. Definately buy it, read it and then you will find yourself reading it again its so good! So stop reading this review and go get the book!
on December 24, 2013
Acheron is definitely one of my favourite books in the series. When I first read Dance With the Devil, I fell in love with him and I was excited when I picked up the series again to find that he had his own book!

I bought this one to have a hardcover edition to match my copy of Styxx, and it's sitting on my shelf.
on April 19, 2010
This book really is quite hard to get through. The book is extremely repetitive, which only really serves to drive the point home. The protagonist has been severely handicapped and abused. Apart from the sometimes quite visual and terrible abuses, one just about wants to tear one's hair out at the stupidity and incredibility of some of the characters. While trying in a quasi-psychological style to justify the behaviour of her characters, Kenyon really takes us for a ride: they're rather stereotypical and a tough sale to any sane reader out there.

For such a long read, the reward is rather poorly. I was left quite frustrated. I don't consider the book to be the worst of the worst (hence the two stars), because I was able to finish it and I liked the 'twist' with the main character, Acheron, rising to power and operating in our day and age. The interaction between the divine and our secular daily life was quite rewarding and the story was definitely more interesting in this second part of the book. But really... hundreds of pages preceding it just to let us know what a psychologically damaged kid our Acheron was, is just too much.