5.0 out of 5 stars Coming Home
Published 3 months ago by sand flower

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Story but...
I think I would have enjoyed this book more if I hadn't seen the movie first. The movie was quite different from her book. The specific scenes that I was really interested in reading about were not the same , or not there at all. I love the characters in her books! She has a way of making you live thru them.
Published on Feb. 16 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Coming Home, Dec 20 2013
This review is from: Coming Home (Kindle Edition)
There is nothingI dislike about this book it is a perfect novel. It is for me a coming of age novel. A girl pretty much left on her own. Parents abroad. A boarding school education. But what a girl. Wise beyond her years but also vulnerable and her experiences are what we would all recognize . I read this book at least once a year, preferably in winter when I tend to hibernate a little! Oh do enjoy it! The characters are wonderful and so well described.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Coming Home, June 12 2003
Alexandra Brown "Alexandra Brown" (Destin, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming Home (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my favorite book ever. By the end of the book, I felt so close to Judith, the main character. Ms. Pilcher does such a beautiful job of following Judith's life, you feel as if you know her. Definitely Rosamunde Pilcher's best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comming Home, Aug. 12 2011
Maggie Devine "MD" (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming Home (Hardcover)
This book I have read over 10 times and my original copy was becoming tattered. I ordered this one on line and though used it arrived in great shape - better than I had expected. Will defiantly use this site again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Longer than it should have been., Sept. 12 2006
J. T. Sousa (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming Home (Mass Market Paperback)
I love Rosemunde Pilcher and her writing style. She's nothing short of fantastic. This book was an enjoyable read. It made me laugh and cry (well, mostly cry) and I loved the way it transports the reader into life in England pre and post WWII. That being said, I found that this book tended to drag. There really was no need for it to be this long. As well, it was no great surprise who Judith ends up falling in love with. It's obvious pretty much as soon as his character is introduced. This though, of course, does not change the fact that this book is very much a worthwhile read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Refreshing Read, July 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Coming Home (Mass Market Paperback)
It isn't often that an author such as Rosamunde Pilcher comes around. She writes in the narrative voice that literally coaxes you to go to the couch and curl up with a pot of tea and her novel. COMING HOME was the first Pilcher book I read and afterward I was captured as one of her biggest fans. Pilcher has a way with each of her books to capture her readers from the first page to the last. In any Pilcher novel the reader finds themselves relating to the main characters by feeling their pain and their happiness.
In COMING HOME, this main character is Judith Dunbar who finds herself torn from her family due to World War II. Pilcher takes the reader to Cornwall and a festive amount of characters that Judith begins to know. They are an odd assortment: The best-friend the reader cannot do without, the romantic, the family atmosphere that Judith so craves---- and in end, the excitement involved with simply putting all these characters together in one story.
After reading COMING HOME I found myself in love with Judith and her best friend, Loveday Carrie-Lewis. The entire novel was simply enchanting. Readers of Pilcher's are looking for a book written with class, a good narrative voice, and a happy ending.
COMING HOME has all elements that a good book has---- well built characters, a big problem, a careful solution, romance, relationships that steadily build, and the change that all main characters' make from the first time you meet them, to the last. COMING HOME is a wonderfully classy read. All readers will find themselves in enthralled with Judith's life and all who are in it.
At the end of each Pilcher novel you sigh because it's over, and you're running to get another. All Pilcher-readers find themselves loving her easy going, narrative voice which is completely refreshing. Pilcher takes on a voice in COMING HOME that makes World War II seem more bearable to read about, and all crisis's easier to deal with. If people could live their lives like Pilcher writes a novel, everything would seem just a little bit easier to deal with. After a long day at work or at school, COMING HOME is the perfect book to take a load off and just wrap up in a novel that will entertain the reader until it sadly comes to an end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry to see it ended..., Sept. 8 2003
Daniela Korem (Herzlia, Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming Home (Mass Market Paperback)
I became a fan with the "shell seekers" and read all her books ever since.
I relished every word of Coming home.... and I hope one day to visit Cornwall!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this book!, June 1 2003
Emily Lathrop "Tissue Goddess" (New Milford, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming Home (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my favorite book. I'm reading it again - again.
My favorite thing about this book is the way you get to feel so close to all of the characters. You follow the life of one girl through WWII. It might sound a little boring but, believe me, this girl's life is anything but ordinary. She is left in a British boarding school while her parents are living in Singapore. She is 14 and starting school in an unfamiliar place. Eventually she makes friends with Loveday Carey-Lewis (silly name, I know) and this changes her life drastically.
As Judith grows she encounters loss, love, and a creepy old guy. It's a book about growing up and, of course, coming home.
Rosamunde Pilcher makes all of the characters seem so real. It is easy to picture them in your mind and even easier to feel for them. Judith is not the only character whose life you get caught up in. There are many characters who we can all relate to. Personally, I think I'm a bit like Loveday.
Anyway, this book is a definite must-read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The trip home was long but well-described, Dec 23 2002
Coleen Kenny (Glen Allen, Va United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming Home (Mass Market Paperback)
728 pages (hardback) of flowery descriptive prose that this aspiring poet loved and hated! I couldn't help thinking "where is that red pen?" to chop about 200 pages of mind-numbing detail from the script.
HOWEVER, Coming Home is a geographic of the heart, not hearth. It challenges definitions of family and class distinctions, and it underscores that home is the place from which we face the world, hopefully surrounded by love, faith and consistent support.
This is a great bedside book and worth the time it takes to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Book Ever, Oct. 25 2002
Molly I. Tinker "M. T. Cronin" (Louisiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming Home (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is one of my all time favorites. It's an amazing story about a girl's coming of age during World War II. The friendships and romances in this book are heartfelt and touching, as is the emotion of a family dealing with the pressures of war. It's Pilcher's best, in my opinion, although The Shell Seekers is a close second.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Novel of Pilcher, Wonderfully Written!, July 7 2002
J. Kirkman "book jen" (St. Petersburg, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming Home (Mass Market Paperback)
I really got into the book after the first couple of chapters where Pilcher sets her tone of the story. I enjoyed the characters very very much, and could follow Judith Dunbar, the young girl, as she experiences many events starting through her life at the boarding school, and beyond. As always with Pilcher, she describes the emotions very well, as though the characters at one time reaslly exsisted and experienced these events back in the time of the Depression. I think it is a GREAT read, and HIGHLY recommend it to anyone craving a good family saga!

ARRAY(0xb73a2804)

Coming Home
Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 15 1996)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89