5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't stop thinking about the characters...
Published on Nov. 13 2000 by Janice Campbell

3.0 out of 5 stars I was really looking forward to reading this book
Published on Aug. 7 2000 by M. C. Crammer

4.0 out of 5 stars A dramatic and well-written P.I. novel, Aug. 3 2001
John D. Costanzo "johndc" (Bensalem, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Concourse: A Bill Smith/Lydia Chin Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
I thought this was a well plotted and hard hitting PI novel. It is a fast paced, well-written page-turner with a dramatic and satisfying conclusion. Smith and Chin are interesting and likeable characters, but possibly a bit underdeveloped. (But I'll attribute this minor complaint to the fact that I did not read the first Rozan book.) The Smith/Chin relationship seems a little familiar, and the relationship with the burned out detective also seems overdone, but overall, Rozan creates a believable and original story that blends big-city corruption and inner city violence.
The minor complaints mentioned above notwithstanding, I give this a strong recommendation and I am looking forward to the next installment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well above average., March 19 2001
nobizinfla "nobizinfla" (Windermere, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
A wonderfully written and richly textured novel. Very well plotted and it makes sense thru-out.
Some passages were so well written I found myself reading them three or four times just to appreciate their beauty.
It is at least semi-dark and not the fastest read, but well worth the time and effort. It needs to be savored.
The protagonists are well drawn and this should be a strong series. The supporting cast is most intriguing.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't stop thinking about the characters..., Nov. 13 2000
I stayed up late to finish this book, and woke up the next morning still thinking about the characters- the gang leader "Snake" and the bitter cop, in particular. Rozan has successfully pulled off a rather difficult trick- changing the point of view in the middle of a series. Much to my surprise, I liked Bill Smith as a protaganist just as well- perhaps even a bit better than Lydia Chin. I've enjoyed them all so far, however. But Concourse soars above the average mystery in its superb character development. I'm looking forward to more from S.J. Rozan!

3.0 out of 5 stars I was really looking forward to reading this book, Aug. 7 2000
M. C. Crammer (Lawrenceville, GA USA) - See all my reviews
Rozan is a favorite of mine, but the other books I had read by her were focused on Lydia Chin. This book shifts the focus to Bill Smith (who sometimes partners with Lydia Chin). I missed Lydia and I found this book a little too "Humphrey Bogart" for my taste. I would not describe this book as a real page-turner, at least for me. Still, Rozan is a very skilled writer, particularly good at plotting and creating believable characters, people you care what happens to. This book would particularly appeal to people who like tough, gritty detective mysteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awesome, Aug. 27 1999
By A Customer
This book has everything a good mystery needs - a great plot, engaging characters, snappy dialogue, suspense and humor. China Trade was good but this book is better for three reasons: 1) Bill Smith's character is much better developed, 2) it has a tougher, more realistic edge to it and 3) the interaction between Bill and Lydia is more interesting. In sum, highly entertaining. I plan to read all her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, Sensational!, Aug. 21 1999
By A Customer
I'm so glad I found this author. Wonderful writing--clear, fresh images and strong, dark scenes. The characters were terrific. Even the minor characters were believable, whole people, complex and disturbing. If you want to discover a great detective novelist, read S. J. Rozan now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great character-driven mystery, Feb. 28 1999
By A Customer
CONCOURSE, by S.J. Rozan is the second novel of the Lydia Chin - Bill Smith series started in CHINA TRADE. CONCOURSE is an even stronger entry.
Bill Smith, despite his ordinary name, is anything but ordinary, even though he would be the last person to admit it. Rozan gives us a few clues to his less than ideal past, and that alone makes the reader want to learn more. As far as his relationship with Lydia -- their tenuous romance is gentle, wistful and at the same time, built on a deeply felt trust.
The plot of CONCOURSE takes Bill and Lydia into the world of non-profit organizations that are anything but, and leads Bill into the savage world of Bronx street gangs that live by their own rules and are governed by codes of honor written in blood. In the end, the ultimate brutality is the evil wrought by money and power -- a struggle that nearly costs Bill his life.
CONCOURSE is not for the faint of heart; the language is strong, the violence harsh and realistic, but the characters and plot are involving and exciting. A highly recommended series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than China Trade, and C.T. was great!, Feb. 22 1999
By A Customer
This book has interesting characters and plot, and is extremely well-written. I read it first, then found China Trade, the first novel in the series, in the library. As a (real) man, I can say that Rozan's Bill Smith is realistic; I would not have guessed that the author was female if I hadn't already known it. Smith reminds me of J.P. Beaumont, Jance's Seattle detective, and I can't think of a better compliment. It was a pleasant surprise to find that China Trade was written from the viewpoint of Lydia Chin. I hope that the viewpoint continues to alternate between the main characters in the later novels. If the quality continues, Rozan will join J.A. Jance, Minette Walters, Dick Francis, Robert Crais, and Ed McBain on my A-list of mystery writers whose new books I will buy in hardcover. On to Mandarin Plaid!
P.S. Jonathan Kellerman is borderline for my A-list. Sue Grafton, Robert Parker, and James Lee Burke are former A-listers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, Aug. 3 1998
By A Customer
Rozan really proves her versatility in this book, writing from the point of view of Lydia Chin's occasional partner, Bill Smith. Not being a man, I can't vouch absolutely for her accuracy, but it sure seemed like an accurate portrait of what it's like to live inside a guy's brain. Like China Trade, this is a terrific mystery that keeps you turning the pages to find out whodunnit. But it's more than that--it's also a well-written novel with complex, well-developed characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Plot, Stock Characters, Jan. 13 1998
By A Customer
This book was well-written, but a disappointment to me because I thought Rozan's first book, China Trade, was excellent. In China Trade, Lydia Chin was interesting and witty, and her Chinatown background made her different. Bill Smith is as ordinary as his name. All his little quirks, like classical piano and his love of Lydia, are just that, quirks. They don't add up to a believable character. I got tired of his descriptions of fall leaves and his lonely, depressed personality. The plot was good and side characters like Mrs. Goldstein very well done. The African American dialogue some characters speak gets tedious. Lydia was a complete blank in this volume. She might have been a totally different person from the Lydia in China Trade. Her romantic feelings about Bill are vague. I would not recommend this book even though it did win the Shamus award.

Concourse: A Bill Smith/Lydia Chin Novel
Concourse: A Bill Smith/Lydia Chin Novel by S. J. Rozan (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 15 1996)
CDN$ 9.99