4.0 out of 5 stars A Unique Blend of Originality and Imagination
Published on May 17 2004 by klpepsi

3.0 out of 5 stars OTHER THEN JULIAN AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE?
This was my first Sherrilyn Kenyon book and honestly it was a struggle to get through. All I could think was what am I missing? I mean the Dark Hunter series is SO popular there must be something wrong with me because this, well this was a grind.

Published on April 24 2012 by Buggy

4.0 out of 5 stars A Unique Blend of Originality and Imagination, May 17 2004
This review is from: Fantasy Lover (Mass Market Paperback)
Sex therapist Grace Alexander is turning twenty-nine, and her track record in relationships with men has been less than stellar. Her closest friend Selena, a gypsy palm reader, is concerned that Grace lacks a love life and gives her a very special birthday gift. A two thousand year old book that, according to legend, contains a Greek God trapped inside its covers for all eternity, to be summoned by a woman as her own personal love slave. Grace is skeptical, but jokingly plays along with reciting the words to bring him forth. Nothing happens.
Well, initially nothing happens. But a little later she finds a huge, gorgeous, and very naked warrior in her house ready to fulfill her every fantasy. Now while most of us would nail shut all the windows and doors, take the phone off the hook, and never leave home again, Grace refuses to give in to her urges. In fact, she insists he wear clothes, takes him out in public, and treats him as a human.
A Greek general, and son of the goddess Aphrodite, Julian of Macedon was cursed by his jealous brother, and placed in the book to spend eternity alone. Except for when a woman summons him, and then he spends from one full moon to the next pleasuring her, and he knows everything about pleasuring a woman. Julian learned long ago to accept his fate, and no longer feels anything, but Grace changes all that. Now together they will work to figure out how to break the curse, but when they discover how, will they each be willing to follow through with what's required?
This remains one of, if not the most unique romance novel I've read to date. When I decided to read this book, it was with a mix of intrigue for the original storyline, and trepidation it would be too far-fetched, and might be to the point of ridiculous. But the fact this book is on the Romance Writers of America's Top Ten List, of the year it was published, prompted me to give it a try. And I have to say I wasn't disappointed. This story is very well written, and even though it stretches the limits of the imagination, it does not come off as ridiculous or silly as I had feared. The mix of myth, romance, tenderness, humor, intrigue, and yes, some really sizzling love scenes, makes for an intoxicating and memorable reading experience. I actually read this several months ago, and even though I've read many books since this, I still remember this one.
If I had to come up with something negative, it would probably be that I felt the climatic ending was stretched out a little too long. The number of events that occurred then went wrong, thus requiring Aphrodite's intervention, got a little frustrating for me. I'll leave it at that; so not too much of the ending is given away. In the grand scheme of things, that was only minor, and this book is definitely worth checking out for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love romance, March 2 2014
conpok1 (saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
Okay, the guy gets the girl....but here the girl gets the guy...every girl wants true love and romance. How could you go wrong, especially when it's so, so, right. LOVE THIS BOOK

4.0 out of 5 stars great read, Feb. 17 2014
This review is from: Fantasy Lover (Mass Market Paperback)
I do enjoy Sherrilyn Kenyon's books and this beginning of the series is wonderful. I would recommend these books to anyone who loves this dark world.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT !!!, Aug. 20 2013
That first book got me hooked on the dark hunter series. Sherrilyn Kenyon is my new favorite author!!! Thank you Amazon!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars OTHER THEN JULIAN AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE?, April 24 2012
Buggy "SUNNIE Day reader" (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fantasy Lover (Mass Market Paperback)

FANTASY LOVER has its moments, the premise is unique and intriguing; an ex Spartan general cursed to spend eternity as a love slave trapped inside a book. He's released every so often to be the sexual plaything of whoever has called him forth but Julian is aware inside the book and therefore also anguished and claustrophobic. His mortal past is full of pain too and I enjoyed the flashbacks into it and all the Greek/Roman history. Truthfully he only reason I managed to finish this at all was because of Julian. Just tortured and sexy enough to peak my interest, unfortunately though he had to fall for a dip.... like Grace.

Grace Alexander would have to up there as one of my least favourite heroines ever. Anytime she spoke or we were in her head I ended up cringing. Even in the closing pages I was still rolling my eyes through every single bit of her dialogue Talk about cheesy, immature, silly and painful. With expressions like holly guacamole and greasy grimy gopher guts it was also unrealistic. And really, a sex therapist? She must not be very good at her job because she's got her own hang-ups is clueless about sex.

Julian of Macedon has been condemned to spend eternity within the pages of a mysterious book. Called forth many times over his two thousand years of confinement he definitely knows how to pleasure the ladies (his curse makes it mandatory) but he expects little else from his duties. When Grace's friend Selena presents her with the book on her birthday, on a drunken lark the pair calls forth the sex slave and because this is a paranormal romance what do you know it works.

Grace utters some ridiculous remarks when she finds a gorgeous naked man in her house and then to Julian's surprise she puts clothes on him and wants to talk. She doesn't want to have sex. What!? Actually neither would I because initially Julian is all suave and creepy bad one liners, like some desperate drunk guy at last call. Anyways, Julian has a month to spend with Grace and since she doesn't want to get laid they get to know each other instead, slowly falling in love and trying to find a way to break Julian's curse.

For some reason Kennyon includes a mini stalker plot which doesn't really go anywhere. There's lots of sexual tension but not much actual heat, we meet a couple other gods and goddesses all dressed as bikers, Julian gets a haircut, buys tight fitting jeans and fixes Graces' bookshelves (that part was actually very sweet) I just don't know if I'll be continuing on with this series, I still think I must be missing something and may give the next one a try but its going to have to get a lot darker and mature for me to finish. Cheers

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Steamy Beach Read, Aug. 16 2007
Sarah Dimaria (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantasy Lover (Mass Market Paperback)
The book is about Grace Alexander, a woman with a few bad relationships (and sexual experiences) in her past who hasn't dated for four years. Her friend Selena, a ditzy but well meaning tarot card reader, gets her drunk on her birthday and persuades her to summon a hot Greek god from an old book she found in a local shop. To appease her friend she calls to Julian of Macedon at midnight in the moonlight. Julian of Macedon, cursed to be trapped inside a book for eternity by his brother Priapus, appears and pledges to be her love slave for 30 days until the next full moon. Thereafter Grace endeavours to find out how Julian became cursed and how together they might free him and live happily ever after as mortals together. Very hot, steamy and amusing but also quite predictable (hence the 3 stars).

I bought this book as a "filler" while I was waiting for one of my favourite authors to bring out her next book and Amazon seemed to think I might like it based on my other purchases. This is my first Sherrilyn Kenyon book and although it was a quick/easy read unlike some of the other reviewers I was not compelled to rush out and buy the others. Probably best suited if you are looking for a good beach read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Romance Book EVER!!!! BUY IT!!!, Sept. 12 2011
This review is from: Fantasy Lover (Mass Market Paperback)
I could not put this book down!! I was looking for a good romance book and I was reading the comments on some books in amazon. Fantasy lover caught my attention because of the comments. Everyone that read this book had put great reviews on it so, I decided to purchase it and I don't regret! I really enjoyed reading it and it was worth every penny! I am a first time reader of Sherrilyn Kenyon and I cannot wait to buy other books from her.

This book was truly amazing, funny, sexy, full of love, and some action. Wow!

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put this story down!, April 2 2011
This review is from: Fantasy Lover (Mass Market Paperback)
Oh. My. Goddess! Sherrilyn Kenyon is a master of the written word! This author has an amazing talent for drawing the reader into a story so thoroughly that you can actually "feel" the emotions with such intensity! Burning anger, passionate desire, tragic sadness, Ms. Kenyon's words made this reader feel every moment!

Her touch was his salvation; her kiss had the power to drive him over the edge into uncontrollable madness....

Grace Alexander: A 29 yr old sex therapist without an romance to call her own, doesn't have much of a social life. Hurt beyond measure by the loss of her parents and the brutal treatment at the hands of a man she thought she loved, Grace has no desire to trust her heart to anyone. She just can't face the thought of have it ripped out of her chest and stomped on again.

Julian of Macedon: Son of Aphrodite; renowned Spartan General; and, because of a viciously jealous brother, cursed to be nothing but a love slave for 2000 years, sentenced to always be sued to pleasure but those who summon him, but to never find a release of his own. Full of desperation, intense hunger and thirst, Julian never wanted anything but someone to love and who would truly love him, not his body, in return.

For her birthday, Grace, is duped into an "itty bitty" chant by her best friend, Selena. Did I mention that this itty bitty chant was supposed to bring Grace her very own God-Like Love Slave that she could have for a whole month?! Woot woot! Hot tamales it worked! Julian of Macedon, cursed to serve those who summoned him for the past 2000 years, popped into Grace's living room and turned her world upside down! So beautifully masculine, Julian is the epitome of every woman's sexual desire and it takes every ounce of Grace's control to NOT make love to him. You see, Grace was brutally used the night she lost her virginity and she just couldn't bring herself to treat another that way, no matter how hot he was or how much she wanted too! For Julian, not being able to pleasure a woman as his curse demanded, was a very dangerous thing, indeed. The intense physical and emotional pain of this rejection has the power drive him beyond madness into an eternity of lunacy in darkness, never to emerge again. But, no matter the cost, Grace and Julian decide together to fight the curse. With help from Julian's brother "Eros" aka Cupid, they find the way. It's a long and sexually torturous way, but they have got to try!

With Greek Gods and Goddesses, Gypsies, and everyday "Joes", this story has many twists and turns that promises to keep the reader turning page after page, well into the wee hours of the night!

Fav Comical Quote, Page 46:
"Because I'm not some alley cat with her tail up in the air waiting for the nearest Tom to come over, stick it in, and leave!"

Fav Emotion Filled Passage, Page 306:
Julian: Closing his eyes, he remembered the night Grace had summoned him. He remembered what it felt like to have no real identity. To just be the anonymous Greek love-slave.
Long ago, he had lost himself in a painful place of dark obscurity, and yet Grace has found him.
Through her strength and kindness, she had braved the worst of him and brought him back to humanity. She, alone, had seen into his heart and found him worthy.

Couldn't put this story down! 5 Gold Stars to Ms. Kenyon!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm hooked on Kenyon & her dreamy dark-hunters, March 8 2010
This review is from: Fantasy Lover (Mass Market Paperback)
My friend badgered me to read the Dark-Hunter series for months on end. I am so grateful that I finally did. Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! The story is so much more than romance as the series kicks starts with book 2, Night Pleasures. The titles of the books limits the appeal to a broader audience as again they are so much more than just your typical romance novels. I have converted 4 newbies onto this series and they are also all hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!, Nov. 2 2008
This review is from: Fantasy Lover (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is amazing! this is a sure buy for any romance reader .
it had a great story line and it made me laugh so hard haha! . its such a cute store ;D and how can we forget the hot spartin julian so strong yet sweet at heart .
i had so much fun reading this book and im sure you will to ^_^.

Fantasy Lover
Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 18 2002)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49