5.0 out of 5 stars Abandoned Prayers, Abandoned Justice
Published on April 22 2004 by Susan McKay

3.0 out of 5 stars LITTLE BOY BLUE...
Published on Feb. 3 2007 by Lawyeraau

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Abandoned Prayers, Abandoned Justice, April 22 2004
This review is from: Abandoned Prayers: An Incredible True Story of Murder, Obsession, And Amish Secrets (Mass Market Paperback)
In Abandoned Prayers, Gregg Olsen describes the journey of exAmishman Eli Stutzman as he travels across the heartland of America after murdering five people including his wife and son. The conclusion of the book will leave you speechless--- Mr. Stutzman gets a mere slap on the wrist after committing unspeakable crimes and instilling fear in the hearts and minds of the Amish community he turned his back on. This is a disturbing account of a man whose punishment certainly does not fit the crime. It will leave you angry at the apathy and ineptitude of various local law enforcment agencies in our land.
This book is an easy read and will hold your attention. If you are a true crime afficianado, put Abandoned Prayers at the top of your list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, May 6 2014
the book arrived it great shape considering it was just put in a thin bag. this book is a replacement to the one i had since my other one got ruined. loved this book such a sad story. i recommend this book to anyone who loves true crime :D

2.0 out of 5 stars Needed more depth of characters, Aug. 13 2013
It didn't all mesh together for me.
I needed more details of the main characters
so I could sort out who was who.

It was ok.

3.0 out of 5 stars LITTLE BOY BLUE..., Feb. 3 2007
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Since I have always been fascinated by the Amish and their lifestyle, and I also enjoy true crime stories, I was drawn to this book. Moreover, I remembered the story People magazine did many years ago regarding the young boy, wearing a blue sleeper, whose lifeless body had been found near a corn field in Nebraska in the dead of winter. Abandoned and discarded by the one entrusted with his care, this unknown boy, named "Little Boy Blue", stirred the hearts of the hearts of the citizens of Chester, Nebraska, who gave him a formal burial. The heart of the nation was also stirred by the People magazine article, as its citizens wondered aloud as to the identity of this little boy.

It would be sometime before that question was answered. "Little Boy Blue" turned out to be nine year old Danny Stutzman, a young boy whose angelic countenance belied a life of abuse and neglect at the hands of his father, Eli Stutzman, a man who turned his back on his Amish inheritance and left a trail of dead bodies in his wake. After the suspicious death of his Amish wife, Ida, Eli eventually abandoned all that he knew and adopted the lifestyle of the non-Amish. He also came out of the closet, as he was gay, something not tolerated by the Amish.

This is a well-researched book, but I was disappointed by it. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I felt that this was definitely not the author's best work, however potentially compelling the story. I found the writing to be sub-par, often choppy. While highly detailed, some of the details came across as needless clutter, as they were not particularly relevant to the state of affairs that was propelling Danny and others to their doom.

In addition, there was a certain homophobic ring to the author's prose that was disconcerting and off-putting. There is little doubt that Eli Stutzman was a dysfunctional human being and an abusive parent that exposed his young son to adult behavior that clearly was not in the best interest of the child. He did not, however, act this way towards his son because he was gay. He acted this way because he was a seriously disturbed human being. Unfortunately, from the author's writing one might infer that it was Eli Stutzman's sexual orientation that was at the heart of the murders and Danny's tragic end.

Despite the many rave reviews of this book, I found it mediocre fare, at best. Still, fans of the true crime genre might want to give it a whirl.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sad Story but not very compelling writing, Jan. 29 2004
Holden (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I see that generally this book has received positive reviews here. However, I must say that as someone who enjoys true crime books from time-to-time this one was a disappointment. The writing style was choppy and confusing. There were a lot of details included that I'm not clear were relevant. Danny, the victim, in the story actually gets very little space in the whole text. Instead the Author focuses excessively on the abusers relationships with other men. Some of these relationships were relevant as the abusive father exposed his child to adult behaviour inappropriate for a child. However there is a bit of moral tone here by the author that might lead one to believe that he is not a big fan of gay men in general. The best example I can think of his habit of directly quoting very red-neck statments by some of the officers and others involved.
Unfortunately by talking too much about Stutzmans sexual orientation (author mainly uses the word homosexual as opposed to the more modern term gay), he may have blended those old stereotypes that gay men = child abusers. In this case Stutzman was both, but the writing and the presentation leaves a progessive reader wondering.
A very sad story, but I think the book could have better.

5.0 out of 5 stars COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN, March 29 2004
"petersoncyndi" (Cambridge Springs, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This book was awesome. This is the first time I have ever read one of Gregg Olsen's books. I have always been fascinated with the Amish. There is an amish family near me where the husband killed his wife in front of their 2 children, Crimson Stain is the name of the book I'm referring to - excellent.
After reading this book, I now want to read all of Gregg Olsen's books. Have already ordered several.
This book kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-READ, March 26 2004
D. Galloway (fort wayne, in United States) - See all my reviews
A truly remarkable book. The amount of research Mr. Olsen did is amazing, especially considering the Amish way of "not talking".

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, Jan. 30 2004
I could not put this book down. Mr. Olsen obviously did an amazing amount of research and investigation, and the book was extremely well-written. I am a bookseller, and I frequently recommend it to my customers as I am now recommending it to you. The subject matter and villian (Eli Stutzman) are disturbing, but this is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly compelling story, Jan. 15 2004
By A Customer
This is the second Gregg Olsen book I've read. I picked it up because I was familiar with the writer. The story and the excellent writing pulled me in so that I didn't want to put it down. A sad tale, written with compassion and care. A definite MUST READ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Abandoned Prayers, Jan. 14 2004
By A Customer
It was one of the best books I have read in a long time. The story was set partly in the area I live and there were so many facts that I can remember now from the past in reference to a couple of unsolved murders that it is scary to think all of those horrible things were going on in this rural area. The book tied so many loose ends from many years ago and really brought reality home. There are alot of sick sick people we did not even know existed. Unfortunately, they still exist and we hope Eli Stutzman dies a slow and painful death as he forced Danny to do. The book made us so much more aware of the ongoing and past atrocities committed in this small community. Unfortunately, it also woke us up to the fact just how naive we really are. It is shocking to know that Eli Stutzman is actually out of prison and able to commit his crimes on unknowing new victims.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›