5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch true crime
Published on Feb. 28 2003 by James G. Greenhill

3.0 out of 5 stars Small Town "Values"
Writing is not great, but good. An easy read.
If you are interested in reading a narrative about how "small town values" can sometimes backfire, read this book.
If the town of Huntington, Indiana (through the pastor at their Union Church, some parents, etc.) preached acceptance and love instead of bigotry, guilt and hate, the victim of this crime might still be...
Published on Aug. 25 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars I am the stepmother of Erick Esch, Nov. 19 2003
This review is from: Fear No Evil (Mass Market Paperback)
It is too bad that the author didn't bother to get correct information from the family members that had to go through the horrific ordeal. I personally read the book and it sounds like Erick Esch himself wrote the book. What a joke! I lived with Erick Esch during the time of the crime and he had absolutely NO REMORSE for the crime committed. Why didn't he say in the book why he only served 3 years of a 28 year sentence? The mystery remains!

4.0 out of 5 stars very well written, Aug. 5 2003
This review is from: Fear No Evil (Mass Market Paperback)
Very full of information about the killers. It could have had more about the victim. Was a little boring at the end but by all in all a good true crime novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch true crime, Feb. 28 2003
James G. Greenhill "Jim Greenhill" (McLean, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fear No Evil (Mass Market Paperback)
Yet again, you can't judge a book by its (lurid) cover or dumb sales pitches ("8 pages of startling photos"). This is an excellent, quick read. Jarrod Wall is very well portrayed. His suggested motivation for the murder is very interesting and quite convincing. However, Wall has all the classic traits of a sociopath & I came away from the book feeling that was equally important in his crime as the suggested motive. Many, many boys have experienced something along the lines of the trauma Jarrod went through without resorting to murder. My impression of Wall from the book made me glad he remains in prison. On the other hand, the author's portrayal of Erick Esch was also good, and I left convinced that he should not be in prison & deserved a second chance. Overall, this was a good, solid read & well worth the money & time for true crime fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars I found this book to very interesting........., Feb. 26 2003
This review is from: Fear No Evil (Mass Market Paperback)
I live eight miles outside of Huntington, Indiana, and went to the High School Jarrod, John, and Erik attended. I also had Jarrod's father as my middle school math teacher nearly the same time as the events in this book took place. This book debunked many of the rumors that I had believed in the past about what had happened. It allowed me to gain an understanding of the young men that commited this unspeakable act... I do not consider small town values to be the root cause of this crime. Many events occur in or lives to make us who we are and who we become. The values of the Midwest and values of Huntington in particular make a great mold for building good people....
I think this book will be very enlightening to those from this area, but still an interesting read to others.......

2.0 out of 5 stars Fear no Evil review, Nov. 26 2002
This review is from: Fear No Evil (Mass Market Paperback)
The book was ok but there should of been more background on John Velasquez. I also think that there should of been more information of how Erick,John, and Jarrod are doing now.

1.0 out of 5 stars truth:2, Oct. 25 2002
This review is from: Fear No Evil (Mass Market Paperback)
This story goes to show that paper will stand still for truth as well as fiction.

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this book fiction or non-fiction?, Oct. 24 2002
B Thompson (Waterloo, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fear No Evil (Mass Market Paperback)
I live just 50 miles north of Huntington. I work with the man who found the body, John Burris. This man was not asked permission to be used in the book. His side of the story doesnt match what Thomas Jones depicts in his book.
I kind of wonder if the author has portrade other sections of this book in the same manner. Possibly to get a movie deal????? Well written or not. Some of this book is not exactly true. Buyer beware.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Huntington Native weighs in, Sept. 27 2002
This review is from: Fear No Evil (Mass Market Paperback)
I too am from Huntington, was one of Jarrod's classmates and a casual friend of the twins in the book. While I have to snicker a little at the portrayal of the twins and certain other events and people, I would say that this book actually didn't do the shock we felt justice. I remember sitting in class the day after the arrests, many of us were crying, and there was just a feeling of disbelief. It really drew us closer together. The impact on the community goes far beyond what is described in this book. The whole school was literally changed. Trust turned into suspicion. Many rules appeared and the school was even remodeled to better combat the 'drug and weapon' problem that I as a student had not even known existed. The portrayal of Jarrod's parents, however, was shockingly accurate. I could well imagine Dennis Wall saying those things. After having him as a teacher and having my own problems with him during a trying time in my life, alot of things fell into place after reading this book. Although, I don't think enough was said to explain why they behaved the way they did. It isn't fair to judge their reactions, everyone reacts differently, and I would say their behavior is more indicative of parents in shock and denial who have snapped and disassociated themselves with what was going on around them than being 'uncaring' about the whole thing. It also shows the pressure you can put on your kids and not even realize it. Jarrod was a tortured soul who snapped, and he was very good at hiding those feelings; he had been taught well. This story gives more insight to such crimes than a mere court document could. If you are fascinated about what lurks in the minds of criminals, and the effects of such events on the lives of those around the event, then this is a good book for you. Being so close to the incident, and remembering sitting in the audience during the disturbing rap number at the Variety Show, or being at the dance where John V. first broke into a break dance, it was very surreal to read about such events in narrative form. The one thing I will say is that the author downplayed the Clayton Carter involvement. There was much more rumor about him than was evidenced in this book. The author did a good job describing my years and life at Huntington North High School, even though he describes a seedy underbelly that was not known to me until after the events in this book took place. This story shows us that life in what seems like a perfect place is never what it seems. We learned that the hard way. Perhaps someone will learn something from this story that will prevent future lives to be destroyed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Things left unsaid, Sept. 16 2002
This review is from: Fear No Evil (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm from Huntington as well and was closer to this story than most. We pretty much accepted Jarrod's motive as it was explained during the court proceedings, however many of us knew there was more to it. There was much more suspicion of Clayton Carter than was ever mentioned in the book. I don't feel that justice was completely served in this case or he would have been included in the overall judgement. I do feel the book has brought to light many of my suspicions and validated several of them. One thing I did not like about the book was the portrayal of Mr. and Mrs. Wall. I will never in my life judge them for how they reacted to these events. People react to shock and grief in many different ways. I know for certain that this devastated them, and to portray them as uneffected was a mistake. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to understand the situation better, however keep in mind that even 12 years later, there are still many things that remain unsaid.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Treatment & Great Read, Sept. 8 2002
Mark A. Smiddy (Benton, Kentucky United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fear No Evil (Mass Market Paperback)
I don't know what some of the other reviewers were expecting when they picked up Thomas Henry Jones' book, poetry, Shakespeare? Though it is the author's first time out he never claims to be a word craftsman creating beautiful and wonderous prose, it is after all a 'True Crime' book about murder in a small town. I suggest ignoring the harsh reviewers, Jones takes an even handed and sometimes even gentle approach to reveal the story behind the grisly and seemingly motiveless murder in a small Indiana town by the most unlikely perpetrators...All Star Jock High School kids. Jones not only gives the chilling details of the murder but manages to untangle the mystery behind the brutal crime as well as give the reader a glimpse into the lives of those involved. I think Jones has done a superb job of delivering a well-written and carefully investigated true-crime book, go ahead, buy it, read it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

ARRAY(0xab0150f0)

Fear No Evil
Fear No Evil by Henry Thomas Jones (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 19 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 16.19