5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars for Sherrilyn Kenyon Offering- ORIGINAL
Published on April 24 2004 by K. J. Blake

3.0 out of 5 stars Thompson's Story Keeps It From Being a Time-Waster
An anthology with two of my favorite authors- Maggie Shayne and Sherrilyn Kenyon! How did things go so wrong?
Published on July 11 2004 by L. J Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars Thompson's Story Keeps It From Being a Time-Waster, July 11 2004
L. J Lewis "Miss Amii" (Collierville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midnight Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
The anthology kicks off to a less than grand start with Amanda Ashley's Darkfest. I know not to expect much from this author, but I have to wonder why she is writing for an adult market. Her writing style and premises are so girly that it's a wonder the pages aren't written in pink ink with glitter and sugar coming out the pages. The tall dark and dangerous daddy figures who fixate on unextraordinary lolita girls because they are so pure and good quite being a romantic fantasy for me when I was 12. What's worse is that Ashley seems totally unaware of the nasty pedophile overtones that permeate 90% of her books. Darkfest just adds to that with some nasty beastiality undertones.
Okay, Darkfest is a sorcerer dude who lives up on a mountain. He can turn into a wolf. He befriends Channa-Leigh, a blind girl from the village, as a wolf. Channa Leigh is Pure, Pure, Pure. Can't remember if she's blonde. But she's gonna get married! So Darkfest makes her come live in his creepy castle because he loves her so. Channa can see when she touches his wolf form. Darkfest wants Channa to rub his tummy.
Darkfest is basically a lonely, losery geek who lives in his dad's basement and obsesses over the most popular babe in school. He was a male virigin until he lost his virginity to a female wolf. Color me grossed out. It's a shame that while Ashley's writing style continues to evolve and become smoother, her ploting and characterization is still stuck in the 3rd grade.
Next comes Sherrilyn Kenyon's first story about the Dream Hunters, a spin-off of the popular Dark Hunter series. What happened? I'll tell you what. Kenyon has created a complex mythology for the dream hunters, but she does little with it. Instead she tries to cram in all the sex she would put in a full length novel and chops out everything else out of the plot but the bare basics. Okay, so make the story an full-out sexual romp, but don't try to give Erin, the female lead, issues about how fat she is next to the hot-studdly V'aiden.
Next comes Maggie Shayne's comtemporary witch-yarn. The problem with this story is that Maggie is using it as a soap box for an axe she has to grind about the stereotyping of Wiccans. Anthology pieces tend to be too short as it is, so focus on plot and characters. Bring the heavy hitting issues up in full length novels. Anyway, the hero is producer of some cheesy TV show about magic wielding witches that will probably appear on the Sci-fi channel. The heroine is a white witch that wants the show to provide an accurate picture of Wiccans. Hero is flippant and dismissive, Heroine tries to set him straight, Hero stupidly fools around with dark powers, Hero and Heroine have sex, Heroine saves Hero from evil forces, Hero sees the true path.
Oh, Rhonda Thompson I could kiss you. I almost thought about skipping this one because Kenyon and Shayne bombed so badly. This a historical werewolf tale that is sort of like Susan Krinard's best work. It's a marvelous tale that is forcing me to keep this wreck of an anthology instead of tossing it out. It starts out a bit shakily with Elise hiddening in the circus to escape nasty relative and wandering into the bed of Sterling, the Beast Tamer. It just improves so much as it goes along. My emotions were in engaged. I understood were Sterling and Elise were coming from, and Thompson even found time to flesh out the secondary characters. It's a shame that this story didn't come by itself. Next to Thompson's story, the other three uninspired novellas look like garbage.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kenyon's story makes this a keeper; others BLAH, June 3 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Midnight Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
Anthologies are usually hit or miss but I at least like one story to be a good one. "Phantom Lover" by Sherrilyn Kenyon was the only thing that saved this for me. I was absolutely enthralled with this tale of dream monsters and saviors. I loved V'Aidan who was Erin's champion against the horrible creatures that stalk her when she sleeps ... but he kept saying she didn't know him.... I immediately re-read this novella after the first go round.
Amanda Ashley is an author I normally like. The storyline for "Darkfest" was ok but there was no real passion or emotion. Just sort of pleasant and boring.
Shane's "Under Her Spell" just didn't capture my attention at all. Could not bring myself to read beyond a few pages and it offered no appeal to me.
"A Wulf's Curse" - well Beast Tamer aka Sterling (I liked the name better than the story!) was an interesting character but the "curse" was a bit silly. Elise was rather a good heroine but this short storyline did not allow a further examination of either characters or curse. Not very good.
There you have it. Better to borrow this one though it will make my keeper shelf just for the Kenyon entry.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars for Sherrilyn Kenyon Offering- ORIGINAL, April 24 2004
K. J. Blake "Super Reader" (Phoenix,AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midnight Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
WOW! The novella written by Sherrilyn Kenyon was a standout in my mind- it opens with action and twists and turns and fantasy adventure right out of a video game or dark fantasy movie- then wham! We find out the heroine is dreaming....her dark and disquieting nightmares lead her on a journey into a fantasy realm of Greek Gods and mythology and tormented immortals that really captured my imagination. Her hero is a dark soul who wins fair maiden's heart by trickery and is punished for it....
I loved this!
The rest of the book was ok- the dark sorcerer in Amanda Ashley's novella was a fairy tale with a wolf in wolf's clothing.
The witchy tale by Maggie Shayne was kind of a snooze- really predictable - the sex and the how to guide on doing real witchcraft were the key elements - nothing special.
The Wulf's Curse by Rhonda Thompson read like a werewolf take on a Regency Romance with a little more passion than one usually finds there.
Buy this book if you are a fan of paranormal fiction- keep it for the cool story by Sherrilyn Kenyon! I want to read more of her nightmare gods who disturb our sleep an try to steal our creativity- I thought it was corporate America that sucked the souls out of us - now I know who to really blame!

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read but somewhat predictable!, Feb. 10 2004
This review is from: Midnight Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
I like this writer for the most part but this was not one of her best efforts. Sorry, I found this story an easy read but somewhat predictable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not at all what I expected!!!, Jan. 22 2004
Charli "Book lover from birth" (Beach Park, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midnight Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was entertaining enough where I kept reading, but not enough where I would reccommend it to anyone else!!! The stories were tedious and I kept thinking, "The next one has to be better!" Maybe I'm spoiled, but I really expected more from these authors!! I felt like they were just meeting their deadlines on this one!!! Don't bother!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money!, Dec 22 2003
Miss Daisy (Monroe Twp., NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midnight Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
Read something else, not this book. What a sorry group of stories! The first is so simplistic that any adult who reads fiction would be bored within mere pages.
The by Sherrilyn Kenyon was a major reason I bought this book - and I was totally disappointed. The development of the characters and the story line were just not up to her usual good efforts.
The final story, about the Wulf family -- oh, please!! Fall in love, become a werewolf. Throw this book into a box labeled 'author mistakes' and let it stay there.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Bought This Book For One Author Only, Nov. 28 2003
Kristi Ahlers (Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midnight Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
I must admit that I bought this book basically due to the fact that Sherrilyn Kenyon was a contributing author. The other three authors managed to pen okay short stories but I must say that Ms. Kenyon and her dreamhunter story was the best!
The other three short stories were just a little too short. Ms. Ashley's story was the second best but there was a lot left unexplained and as a result left me confused and unsure as to who her hero was and if he was an immortal what was going to happen to Channa Leigh? Ms. Shayne's story as another reviewer stated was rather rushed and there really was little chemistry between the two main characters. The last story by Ms. Thompson was an okay read and perhaps if this was a full lenghth book it would have been a better read. Still this was a good effort.
Overall this was a decent read by four very talented authors. If you want a little variety in your reading then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS BOOK, Nov. 21 2003
This review is from: Midnight Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
I JUST LOVED THIS BOOK. AND ALL OF THE AUTHORS DID A GREAT JOB. THE STORYS WERE JUST WHAT I WAS WAITING FOR. THEY MAKE YOU WANT TO READ MORE AND I JUST LOVE THAT. I CAN'T WAIT FOR ALL OF THERE NEXT BOOK'S.

2.0 out of 5 stars A snooze-fest from authors who should know better, Nov. 18 2003
This review is from: Midnight Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
Given the three major authors involved in this (plus one I've never heard of), I expected something really good to great from this collection of short stories. It came up far short of either of those.
The editorial review summarizes each plotline well enough, so I'll just offer some comments without delving into spoilers.
In the first section by Amanda Ashley, there are some serious plot and timeline flaws. The characters literally manage to set off on a short quest one day and by the following page, we've spanned three seasons. In this story especially, the brevity is jarring and unpleasant. I'm still scratching my head at how these two came to love each other in about 20 pages of descriptive narrative and I have no idea what Darkfest is supposed to actually be. Reading this, you will have many questions - don't bother looking for the answers in the story, they're not there.
Maggie Shayne's story is confusing, not particularly sensual or interesting and I was mostly glad that it wasn't longer. The heightened tension was completely forced and the quickie ending was just strange.
Sherrilyn Kenyon's story is the only one of the four that I would have loved to read in longer form. I liked her heroine and liked that the hero was seriously flawed. There's an attention to detail that Ms. Kenyon uses that makes you forget you're reading a short story, and I found everything she said about witchcraft to be plausible. This would have been an outstanding long book and encourages me to look for more books by this author.
The final story by Ronda Thompson was just strange. I know the point of these stories was that they're full of "otherworldly" characters, but the writing doesn't have to be bad, does it? So many words are crammed into each paragraph, it's frustrating when there's still no storyline advancement a dozen pages later. This may have been included because of the werewolf angle, but it really is not any kind of otherworldly romance, it's just a poorly written short story that is unsatisfying.
Finally, overall I was left with a feeling of, "and that's it?" when I finished this book. None of the stories were at all satisfying or anything original. You'd do better to read Laurell K. Hamilton for vampires, werewolves and fairies.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a keeper for at least one story..., Nov. 17 2003
Chalice "cmjkerr4" (Ft. Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midnight Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
I gave this book 3 stars for Ms. Kenyon's and Ms. Thompson's stories, mainly.
I'm sure I've read Ms. Ashley's story (Darkfest) before, only the names of the characters were changed. Amanda Ashley wrote the same story before - girl required to stay at dark lord's home for specified amount of time, only she falls in love with him...
There were only very small elements changed, and even so, the story hinted that he really was a vampire.
Ms Shayne's story (Under her Spell) wasn't bad, and even though the education was nice, I felt as though it were a public service announcement, as in "overload." I didn't think that the readers needed every piece of Wicca-lore possible crammed into the story. The story should be paramount. I didn't get that sense with this one.
Ms. Thompson's story (A Wulf's Curse) presented an interesting setting in the traveling freak show. The characters were interesting, and I was intriguiged by the hints of the snake-woman (what was she really? Lamia?).
But the gem of the book was really Ms. Kenyon's Phantom Lover. Her short stories are always too short. Her dragons are always too sexy. *sigh* How is that possible?
Her mix of mythologies is interesting and begs the question? Can a bad-boy demi-god be reformed? <g> Let's hope so!

Midnight Pleasures
Midnight Pleasures by Ronda Thompson (Mass Market Paperback - Nov. 17 2003)
CDN$ 9.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available