4.0 out of 5 stars Great read... until the ending doesn't materialize
Extremely interesting book with insightful theories on why and how we make decisions. Unfortunately, you don't find out until the disappointing end that the "chapters" were independent essays. As with most books, I looked forward to finding out how the author will wrap everything up and tie the stories together in the end. Apparently, Gladwell either didn't feel...
Published on June 23 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Informed Intuition Beats Analysis and Knee-Jerk Prejudices
Like The Tipping Point, Blink has a very simple point which it elaborates from a variety of perspectives. In this case, the point is that our subconscious mind can integrate small, subtle clues to very quickly make great decisions . . . as long as we have been trained to know what clues to focus on.

In developing that simple idea, Mr. Gladwell makes the case...
Published on July 15 2006 by Donald Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, like all the Gladwell books., April 23 2014
I enjoyed this book, as I have enjoyed many of Malcolm Gladwell's other books, and I look forward to reading more in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enlightening, Aug. 25 2013
Diana E. Young "Diana Young" (Vernon, B.C., Canada) - See all my reviews
I would highly recommend this non-fiction book by the author of the best-selling book Tipping Point – which I also loved. This book offers a unique view of “thinking without thinking”.

It presents a well researched look at how our “over-thinking” can be detrimental to us, and how we should listen more often to our “gut instincts” and intuition. This is especially true in this era of information overload, where we often find ourselves paralysed with so many options and choices.

Gladwell writes in a compelling manner that keeps you reading and gives you plenty to think about. You too will most likely find yourself nodding away with him throughout the book.

Diana Young, #1 Amazon best-selling author of Financial Fitness for Beginners and world traveler, currently sailing for six months each year in the South Pacific.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good insights, May 8 2013
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
A bit long but as a whole, it's typical to Gladwell. Well researched and very good stories to back the facts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, Jan. 6 2013
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
heard of the book from multiple people. Lived up to every expectation. I am reading all his books in order and just finished Blink. I would definitely read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars You have less control than you think..., Jan. 24 2012
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
I so enjoyed this book. As with all of Gladwell's material it is so easy to digest, and so entertaining through the case studies and interpretation. Contrary to some other reviews, I found the book flows very well. I will never forget some of the stories he presents, and of course, the over-riding theme is profound. Thank you Mr. Gladwell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting ideas, fun to read and what not, Nov. 5 2010
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
I found out about this book after reading one of Seth Godin's Books (All marketers are liars). In the afterword he mentions how Gladwell is quite interesting. Having enjoyed 4 Godin books I thought I'd read this.

It was an interesting book, with many fun to read "case studies" as I'd like to call them.

If you are at all into psychology or enjoy marketing, then this books is for you

2.0 out of 5 stars Blink, blink, blink AD NAUSEUM, Aug. 8 2009
Gwen Hawkins (Ruby Lake, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
Although the author offers an interesting approach toward making decisions, his continuing use of the same stories over and over again to illustrate his points drove me bonkers. Gladwell could (and should) have written the entire message in half the pages. He still would not have convinced me that his premise was correct, but at least I wouldn't have been bored. After reading The Tipping Point and Outliers, this book was a disappointment in both content and writing style.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest books ever written., Aug. 15 2010
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
The entire premise of this book is; if you repeat something a trillion times, the process gets so ingrained in your brain that at a certain point, you no longer have to consciously 'think' in order to make the best decisions. In other words, the best decisions become blink decisions.

Think about that for a minute. Was it really necessary to cite all those studies to prove that point? Like is this such a provocative idea that this book needs to be on the bestseller's list for god knows how long?

Let me share a story with you. I grew up playing NES, SNES, PS, etc. When you play a game for the first time, the controls of the game a unfamiliar, the gameplay is naturally stiff. But soon after you get used to pressing the buttons in such and such combination that will win you the game. Eventually, you get to a point where you no longer have to think about the buttons you press yet you can control the game environment. You get to a point where you can impose your will on the game. For example, timing for the combination moves for Tekken 3 is crucial. Of course at first I had trouble memorizing the buttons as well as timing. But after a while, this no longer becomes a conscious process and I can do the 10-hit King combo moves, throw my enemies around like rag dolls and win at will. Did I need Mr. Let-me-give-you-a-new-way-of-looking-at-the-world Malcolm Gladwell? I figured that out when I was 12.

You get my point. Of course the problem is all of Gladwell's books are this useless. Yet the part of the population that considers themselves 'well-read' can't get enough of him. And that is sadder than the man himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last! a twist to the old marketing idea (and other human topics)!, Dec 10 2007
Wow! Finally I get to read a book that shows the other side of this coin. M. Gladwell makes a superb work at giving a different idea of how we make judgements and therefore, how we can manage under certain circumstances those belly messages (according to his book, perhaps, only perhaps, we should give more credit to them than we do...). Each reader can make his / her own interpretation of the cases presented and then, understand and apply to every particular experience. Every case presented in this book is (to say the least) fascinating... one of those books you can't stop reading once you opened it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Doh!, Aug. 25 2006
I picked this book up and read it, COMPLETELY not figuring out the fact that it was by the same guy who wrote THE TIPPING POINT. Doh! No wonder I liked it so much. I'm normally one to stick with fiction, but this is great stuff. With the state the world is in today, you must read this book, along with TTP. Both are great, but BLINK is the best by far. Would also recommend the book THE WORLD IS FLAT.

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell (Paperback - Dec 4 2006)
CDN$ 19.00 CDN$ 13.72