4.0 out of 5 stars Great read... until the ending doesn't materialize
Extremely interesting book with insightful theories on why and how we make decisions. Unfortunately, you don't find out until the disappointing end that the "chapters" were independent essays. As with most books, I looked forward to finding out how the author will wrap everything up and tie the stories together in the end. Apparently, Gladwell either didn't feel...
Published on June 23 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Informed Intuition Beats Analysis and Knee-Jerk Prejudices
Like The Tipping Point, Blink has a very simple point which it elaborates from a variety of perspectives. In this case, the point is that our subconscious mind can integrate small, subtle clues to very quickly make great decisions . . . as long as we have been trained to know what clues to focus on.

In developing that simple idea, Mr. Gladwell makes the case...
Published on July 15 2006 by Donald Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, Jan. 6 2013
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
heard of the book from multiple people. Lived up to every expectation. I am reading all his books in order and just finished Blink. I would definitely read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars You have less control than you think..., Jan. 24 2012
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
I so enjoyed this book. As with all of Gladwell's material it is so easy to digest, and so entertaining through the case studies and interpretation. Contrary to some other reviews, I found the book flows very well. I will never forget some of the stories he presents, and of course, the over-riding theme is profound. Thank you Mr. Gladwell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting ideas, fun to read and what not, Nov. 5 2010
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
I found out about this book after reading one of Seth Godin's Books (All marketers are liars). In the afterword he mentions how Gladwell is quite interesting. Having enjoyed 4 Godin books I thought I'd read this.

It was an interesting book, with many fun to read "case studies" as I'd like to call them.

If you are at all into psychology or enjoy marketing, then this books is for you

2.0 out of 5 stars Blink, blink, blink AD NAUSEUM, Aug. 8 2009
Gwen Hawkins (Ruby Lake, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
Although the author offers an interesting approach toward making decisions, his continuing use of the same stories over and over again to illustrate his points drove me bonkers. Gladwell could (and should) have written the entire message in half the pages. He still would not have convinced me that his premise was correct, but at least I wouldn't have been bored. After reading The Tipping Point and Outliers, this book was a disappointment in both content and writing style.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest books ever written., Aug. 15 2010
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
The entire premise of this book is; if you repeat something a trillion times, the process gets so ingrained in your brain that at a certain point, you no longer have to consciously 'think' in order to make the best decisions. In other words, the best decisions become blink decisions.

Think about that for a minute. Was it really necessary to cite all those studies to prove that point? Like is this such a provocative idea that this book needs to be on the bestseller's list for god knows how long?

Let me share a story with you. I grew up playing NES, SNES, PS, etc. When you play a game for the first time, the controls of the game a unfamiliar, the gameplay is naturally stiff. But soon after you get used to pressing the buttons in such and such combination that will win you the game. Eventually, you get to a point where you no longer have to think about the buttons you press yet you can control the game environment. You get to a point where you can impose your will on the game. For example, timing for the combination moves for Tekken 3 is crucial. Of course at first I had trouble memorizing the buttons as well as timing. But after a while, this no longer becomes a conscious process and I can do the 10-hit King combo moves, throw my enemies around like rag dolls and win at will. Did I need Mr. Let-me-give-you-a-new-way-of-looking-at-the-world Malcolm Gladwell? I figured that out when I was 12.

You get my point. Of course the problem is all of Gladwell's books are this useless. Yet the part of the population that considers themselves 'well-read' can't get enough of him. And that is sadder than the man himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last! a twist to the old marketing idea (and other human topics)!, Dec 10 2007
Wow! Finally I get to read a book that shows the other side of this coin. M. Gladwell makes a superb work at giving a different idea of how we make judgements and therefore, how we can manage under certain circumstances those belly messages (according to his book, perhaps, only perhaps, we should give more credit to them than we do...). Each reader can make his / her own interpretation of the cases presented and then, understand and apply to every particular experience. Every case presented in this book is (to say the least) fascinating... one of those books you can't stop reading once you opened it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Doh!, Aug. 25 2006
I picked this book up and read it, COMPLETELY not figuring out the fact that it was by the same guy who wrote THE TIPPING POINT. Doh! No wonder I liked it so much. I'm normally one to stick with fiction, but this is great stuff. With the state the world is in today, you must read this book, along with TTP. Both are great, but BLINK is the best by far. Would also recommend the book THE WORLD IS FLAT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, Oct. 21 2011
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
Brand new book, fairly price, got the book two weeks after I paid for it, little slower than I expected but everything else is perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Storytelling - Less applicable than Outliers, May 5 2011
I read this book because I enjoyed Outliers so much. Both demonstrate his exceptional ability as a journalist and storyteller. Regardless, I was disappointed that while Blink gave several examples of how experts are able to make rapid fire judgements, it had little practical information how the reader could ultimately apply the same methods successfully.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Detailed Look at Quick Thinking, Feb. 13 2011
Debra Purdy Kong (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
Everyone makes snap judgments about people, places, and events. Sometimes those judgments are correct, other times not. But what if you're forced to make a big decision in a matter of seconds? What processes in your brain help you make that decision, and how do you prevent bad decisions from happening?

Through fascinating studies and real life examples, Malcom Gladwell explores these concepts and much more in this book. As Gladwell states, there are three purposes to the book. First, to show that quick decisions can be just as good as decisions made after slow, careful deliberation. Second, to identify when we should trust our instincts and when we should be wary of them; and third, to persuade the reader that snap judgments and first impressions can be educated and controlled.

To demonstrate Gladwell's points, plenty of pages are devoted to studies and examples that made the book sound like a marketing textbook at times. Descriptions of the many types of facial expressions were so detailed that it became monotonous. Also, I would have liked more tips about how to control snap decisions, but the book certainly gave me a better understanding of why and how first impressions are made. Having said this, Blink is a worthwhile read, and the concepts will compel you to reevaluate those snap decisions you make in your life.

ARRAY(0xb567bc6c)

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell (Paperback - Dec 4 2006)
CDN$ 19.00 CDN$ 13.72