4.0 out of 5 stars Great read... until the ending doesn't materialize
Extremely interesting book with insightful theories on why and how we make decisions. Unfortunately, you don't find out until the disappointing end that the "chapters" were independent essays. As with most books, I looked forward to finding out how the author will wrap everything up and tie the stories together in the end. Apparently, Gladwell either didn't feel...
Published on June 23 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Informed Intuition Beats Analysis and Knee-Jerk Prejudices
Like The Tipping Point, Blink has a very simple point which it elaborates from a variety of perspectives. In this case, the point is that our subconscious mind can integrate small, subtle clues to very quickly make great decisions . . . as long as we have been trained to know what clues to focus on.

In developing that simple idea, Mr. Gladwell makes the case...
Published on July 15 2006 by Donald Mitchell

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and enlightening, July 20 2009
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
Perhaps I was expecting too much after the rave reviews but I was left hoping to have had a better conclusion or wrap-up to all the interesting information that Gladwell presented.

That said, I would recommend it as an intereting read which provides you with why you should listen to your instinct. Gladwell does well to provide anecdotal evidence of how you may be better off making a decision based on your initial instinctive reaction rather than having volumes of data on which to base your decision.

It has to do with our learned experiences over the course of our lives. The information is stored in our brain and when the need arises, we subconsciously draw on that information to help us immediately assess our situation and thereby decide a course of action- within milliseconds. In fact, such millisecond decisions or assessments prove to be more accurate than basing decisions on detailed scientific data. It has to do with our brain's ability to pick up on minute differences in facial expressions or physical features - the curl of a lip, the angle of a frown line, a person's stance or even a professional's ability to sense that a sculpture is a fake despite scientific evidence to the contrary.

Thus the title of the book "Blink"

In keeping with the title, I think Gladwell could have condensed the material he presented, particularly with the discussion about the various parts of the brain which store various types of information. A diagram would have helped.

Nonetheless, it's worth buying the book because it provides very interesting perspectives on the biases we have embedded in our minds and how these underlying biases influence the decisions we make in our daily lives.

I learned a lot from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars page turner, April 26 2009
Muguette A. Laflamme "ml" (canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
This was a facinating read. This book was a required read for one of my upcoming yoga teacher trainning courses... I must admit that I wondered why at first.....Now I know. It's a must read for everyone. It just makes you think and as the author says "without thinking". Decission making, problem solving...etc..etc..etc...simple and yet so powerful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Good as the Hype, Jan. 16 2009
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
This book says that sometimes people make good decisions, sometimes bad upon first impression. It gives examples. Little attempt is made to show us how to make the good decisions instead of the bad ones. It says that sometimes deliberate choices, sometimes spontaneous choices are better. In other words, it's common sense. I found the subtitle to be misleading. I was expecting more of an explanation exactly just how to use that "power of thinking without thinking".

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal book, Nov. 25 2008
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
I highly recommend this book. While the topic is quite scientific, the author
has been able to engage the reader easily with compelling, memorable stories. A great eye-opener!

5.0 out of 5 stars underrated, Nov. 3 2007
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
This book is a compelling read. It is initially somewhat like a novel, full of anecdotes, and this can lend an air of superficiality. However, in an efficient and very entertaining way, Malcolm Gladwell gets to the heart of how we make those split second 'gut reactions', and tackles an important subject in very accessible way. The anecdotal examples are a very useful tool, creating memorable scenarios in which to play out the concepts which are discussed.

He explores why sometimes these 'blinks' are right and sometimes they are wrong, and more significantly, how we can train ourselves to make more reliable instinctive reactions in future, by deliberate painstaking preparation and careful training of our brains with the necessary expertise, and also being aware of the standard errors, so that 'in the moment' it can make use of this absorbed knowledge to make accurate snap decisions.

Fascinating! And very accessible to the lay reader, with no advanced psychological background needed. Although it does touch on various existing concepts regarding false-positive defense mechanisms, overriding of red-flags, projection, dissociation etc, it is all explained in straightforward language, and in a quite individual style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't . . . or you'll miss it!, March 20 2006
I started this book in the early morning and couldn't put it down until I had read it all. The author challenges the traditional notion that intuitive decisions are based on mounds of subconscious information. He shares his concept of "thin slicing" with compelling examples. A worthwhile read. This is somewhat unusual for me, choosing instead some bestseller such as "Da Vinci" by Brown or "Katzenjammer" by McCrae-this book is a VERY OBVIOUS departure for me!!! That said, here's what I think: We are laden with too much information and many of us have the mistaken assumption that the best way to work with all of this information is through careful, detailed, analysis. Malcom gives us a wake-up call. Our mind is a pattern machine that is capable of making quick jumps and accurate conclusions with very little information. The book's premise and assertions are its strength. The writing is engaging but the packaging a bit too commercial and in some spots faulty. If you have to make a quick decision - I say buy the book and read it - just use it as a starting point to conduct your own observations of how to make quick decisions and be more intuitive.
If you're looking for a great fiction read, try the book KATZENJAMMER by J.T. McCrae, or the novel CAT'S CRADLE by Vonnegut.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Interesting Book, Aug. 19 2006
Jeff Summers "The Business Reader" (North Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This was an awesome book to read - really makes you think. It was interesting to read about how fast we make judgements, but more interestly, why we make many of the judgements we do. If you like books that are about the "whys" of the world, then this is a great book!!

4.0 out of 5 stars well written and interesting, Dec 19 2008
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
I thought that Blink is a very good book, because it makes a simple and interesting point about split-second decisions, and then it blends in appropriate examples and anecdotes well. Gladwell's writing is interesting, he never really strays from his original idea that was presented well in the first few pages, and the book is short enough to hold your attention until the end.

If you are someone like me who often gets bored reading non-fiction books that drag on in various directions, Blink will likely be a refreshing alternative.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not factually correct, July 9 2007
Andrew S. Crooks "Andrew Sheldon" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
I read Michael R. LeGault's book 'Think' before I read this book, so was confused by the title, though now see the relationship. I could hardly flaw Michael's analysis of the thought process, as opposed to 'Blink' by Malcolm Gladwell. As a critical thinker, I think the art is under-appreciated...and the fact that this book was a best seller only highlights the fact that people have no skill in the art. So to society I say, buy this book...you deserve Malcolm. For anyone of higher intellect, I still think its worth reading if you possess the skills of critical analysis...as much as I dont like bad thinkers being rewarded, you can learn from his anecdotes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revealing, March 3 2008
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
Another great book by Gladwell. The best part is that he explains why gut feelings may not be correct. Many people go to the bank with gut feelings and lose. Gladwell explains why. On the other hand some people do well with gut feelings. (All is basically the quality of the information that you store in your subconscious.) An 'aha!' type of book.

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell (Paperback - Dec 4 2006)
CDN$ 19.00 CDN$ 13.72