4.0 out of 5 stars Great read... until the ending doesn't materialize
Extremely interesting book with insightful theories on why and how we make decisions. Unfortunately, you don't find out until the disappointing end that the "chapters" were independent essays. As with most books, I looked forward to finding out how the author will wrap everything up and tie the stories together in the end. Apparently, Gladwell either didn't feel...
Published on June 23 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Informed Intuition Beats Analysis and Knee-Jerk Prejudices
Like The Tipping Point, Blink has a very simple point which it elaborates from a variety of perspectives. In this case, the point is that our subconscious mind can integrate small, subtle clues to very quickly make great decisions . . . as long as we have been trained to know what clues to focus on.

In developing that simple idea, Mr. Gladwell makes the case...
Published on July 15 2006 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars pop culture entertainment, Jan. 17 2010
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
"Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking" - The title had turned me off the book (too cutesy) for a long time, but I was pleasantly surprised once I ventured past the cover. It's basically about intuition/insight/different ways of arriving at conclusions, how it works, when it works, etc. Deals with conscious and unconscious ways of processing info, and how we toggle back and forth between the two. He describes the unconscious as being like a computer hard drive that is able to process much more (and different kinds of) info than our conscious minds can manage. If we try to think or analyze too much, we can actually lose insight. Sometimes less is more.

I would have liked more in-depth/scholarly coverage of the topic(s). Malcolm Gladwell is a journalist with no expertise (other than what his research has provided) in the things he is writing about. I think this lack is evident in the way some areas of the book were covered thinly and others seemed padded. Someone more knowledgeable would have been able to address the topics/areas in a more succinct and equitable manner, making for a more rewarding and seamless reading experience. What Gladwell has accomplished is that he has introduced some interesting and potentially useful concepts to the masses in a simplistic way. He has intrigued me enough to make me want to read more extensively on these topics by other authors. For this alone, I have given the book three stars.

Do I think this book will stand the test of time? - no
Do I think this book is well written? - no
Will I read it again? - no
Am I glad I read it? - yes

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and enlightening, July 20 2009
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
Perhaps I was expecting too much after the rave reviews but I was left hoping to have had a better conclusion or wrap-up to all the interesting information that Gladwell presented.

That said, I would recommend it as an intereting read which provides you with why you should listen to your instinct. Gladwell does well to provide anecdotal evidence of how you may be better off making a decision based on your initial instinctive reaction rather than having volumes of data on which to base your decision.

It has to do with our learned experiences over the course of our lives. The information is stored in our brain and when the need arises, we subconsciously draw on that information to help us immediately assess our situation and thereby decide a course of action- within milliseconds. In fact, such millisecond decisions or assessments prove to be more accurate than basing decisions on detailed scientific data. It has to do with our brain's ability to pick up on minute differences in facial expressions or physical features - the curl of a lip, the angle of a frown line, a person's stance or even a professional's ability to sense that a sculpture is a fake despite scientific evidence to the contrary.

Thus the title of the book "Blink"

In keeping with the title, I think Gladwell could have condensed the material he presented, particularly with the discussion about the various parts of the brain which store various types of information. A diagram would have helped.

Nonetheless, it's worth buying the book because it provides very interesting perspectives on the biases we have embedded in our minds and how these underlying biases influence the decisions we make in our daily lives.

I learned a lot from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Sept. 19 2014
it's malcolm.. enough said

5.0 out of 5 stars An Insightful Read, March 12 2008
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
With roughly 260 pages and seven chapters (including the conclusion), "Blink" is a well-written and insightful book on the subject of accurate "snap judgment" or two-second of "looking." This book gives us, the reader, a great deal of information about our "moment" to see things accurately, either in quick reaction, warnings, reading strangers, as it is very much like "gut" feelings or first impressions.

I personally found this book to be quite fascinating and insightful to which I enjoyed both Gladwell's flowing writing style and his clear organization. It took me a good few hours to read it as I could not put the book down. To understand our "snap" judgment is to reach an understanding of how basic a human being really is. Today's world, with all the media and overwhelming information, we tend to lose this kind of sense in ourselves.

I would very much recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insights Into Right Brain Left Brain Thinking, July 13 2010
Patrick Sullivan (Kingston, Ont. Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This book is all about how people think. The left side of the brain controls analytical thinking. The right side is used for intuitive thinking. Gladwell attempts to explain, the use of both analytical and intuitive ways of understanding information. The intuitive thought process tends to be at a subconscious level, so it is very difficult to identify. Gladwell lists several stories to help the reader understand how the intuitive mind works. I for one believe, that he has done a great job.
Various professions, require a strong ability in fast gut level thinking. Once a certain level of experience has been acquired, the professional relies on a very quick thought process, to make their decisions. Once again, Gladwell lists several examples to explain this process.
I highly recommend this book. It is fun to read and very informative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, Jan. 24 2015
Bruno Bonvini "brunaccia1985" (Australia) - See all my reviews
superb very nice

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Oct. 13 2014
great eye opener

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary piece of work!, May 13 2007
Danielle "booky" (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
Malcolm Gladwell, in his book Blink, shows us the beauty of how our brain "thin slices" segments of a certain experience and by this alone we are able to make decisions regarding that experience. He uses various excellent examples ,as well as, surveys/tests that will attract all who delve into the book. I strongly reccomend this book and urge all to read it. It is a book that anyone can enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars page turner, April 26 2009
Muguette A. Laflamme "ml" (canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
This was a facinating read. This book was a required read for one of my upcoming yoga teacher trainning courses... I must admit that I wondered why at first.....Now I know. It's a must read for everyone. It just makes you think and as the author says "without thinking". Decission making, problem solving...etc..etc..etc...simple and yet so powerful.

3.0 out of 5 stars good, Nov. 5 2014
Good book

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell (Paperback - Dec 4 2006)
CDN$ 19.00 CDN$ 13.72