4.0 out of 5 stars Great read... until the ending doesn't materialize
Extremely interesting book with insightful theories on why and how we make decisions. Unfortunately, you don't find out until the disappointing end that the "chapters" were independent essays. As with most books, I looked forward to finding out how the author will wrap everything up and tie the stories together in the end. Apparently, Gladwell either didn't feel...
Published on June 23 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Informed Intuition Beats Analysis and Knee-Jerk Prejudices
Like The Tipping Point, Blink has a very simple point which it elaborates from a variety of perspectives. In this case, the point is that our subconscious mind can integrate small, subtle clues to very quickly make great decisions . . . as long as we have been trained to know what clues to focus on.

In developing that simple idea, Mr. Gladwell makes the case...
Published on July 15 2006 by Donald Mitchell

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal book, Nov. 25 2008
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
I highly recommend this book. While the topic is quite scientific, the author
has been able to engage the reader easily with compelling, memorable stories. A great eye-opener!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not factually correct, July 9 2007
Andrew S. Crooks "Andrew Sheldon" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
I read Michael R. LeGault's book 'Think' before I read this book, so was confused by the title, though now see the relationship. I could hardly flaw Michael's analysis of the thought process, as opposed to 'Blink' by Malcolm Gladwell. As a critical thinker, I think the art is under-appreciated...and the fact that this book was a best seller only highlights the fact that people have no skill in the art. So to society I say, buy this book...you deserve Malcolm. For anyone of higher intellect, I still think its worth reading if you possess the skills of critical analysis...as much as I dont like bad thinkers being rewarded, you can learn from his anecdotes.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Interesting Book, Aug. 19 2006
Jeff Summers "The Business Reader" (North Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This was an awesome book to read - really makes you think. It was interesting to read about how fast we make judgements, but more interestly, why we make many of the judgements we do. If you like books that are about the "whys" of the world, then this is a great book!!

4.0 out of 5 stars well written and interesting, Dec 19 2008
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
I thought that Blink is a very good book, because it makes a simple and interesting point about split-second decisions, and then it blends in appropriate examples and anecdotes well. Gladwell's writing is interesting, he never really strays from his original idea that was presented well in the first few pages, and the book is short enough to hold your attention until the end.

If you are someone like me who often gets bored reading non-fiction books that drag on in various directions, Blink will likely be a refreshing alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful look at snap decisions, Nov. 7 2007
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
No wonder this is a best seller. The author explains in an easy to follow way, the power of snap decisions and how they work. It shows how powerful and accurate instantaneous decisions can be, that we often are at odds to explain how we arrived at. Gladwell explains how these decisions are arrived at by the meticulous gathering of information by our unconscious.

However they are not always accurate and this is largely due to bias, such as stereotyping and prejudices. No doubt hormones play a role in that bias too, such as when people 'fall' in love and go on to marry that person. Gladwell here sites a number of studies by psychologist John Gottman, who discovered after studying thousands of interviews with married couples that he was able to tell with 95% accuracy whether a couple would remain together after 15 years from just observing an interview with a couple for 15 minutes.

An interesting book that makes one think about the powerful working of the unconscious and how to use it in beneficial ways.

4.0 out of 5 stars I "Thin-Sliced" the Title, March 31 2007
Michael A. Rousell "Sudden Influence: How Spo... (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
Blink is a fun read and fascinating too. "Thin-slicing:" whereby we make a snap judgment, usually accurate in nature, works in the physical world to a magnificent degree. How we know something instantly, without knowing why we know it is often the signpost of our "thin-slicing" proclivity. I enjoyed the read but hoped to see more about how we self-validate our first impressions, giving ourselves the self-fulfilling assurance that we were indeed correct with our limited information. I would also like to see more about how our ability to access social situations evolves from our early encounters. These may be in future books and I look forward to more of Gladwell's fine writing and informative outlooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revealing, March 3 2008
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
Another great book by Gladwell. The best part is that he explains why gut feelings may not be correct. Many people go to the bank with gut feelings and lose. Gladwell explains why. On the other hand some people do well with gut feelings. (All is basically the quality of the information that you store in your subconscious.) An 'aha!' type of book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Split second thinking, Aug. 2 2005
This book is great. There is so much that happens in the brain in a split second and it's fascinating to consider how emotions influence our judgments so quickly. Gladwell presents an interesting journalists perspective on this phenomena. My favorite part was the discussion of "mind blindness."
Another book I recommend is "The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book." It offers a great perspective on emotions and how they influence our actions and comes with an online EQ test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal, Oct. 8 2009
M. Shahi "Mohsen Books" (Canada) - See all my reviews
The book as claimed was new. The price was amazing. The only thing was that the white cover was a bit dirty. Also some pages are printed not exactly vertical: no big deal for reading though.

Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great study on how our minds work, Nov. 4 2007
Lynne Grey (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
This well-written book shows several studies that have been conducted on how we can, in a 'blink', make an accurate assessment of any situation. The catch, however, is that one must be knowledgeable about the situation at hand.

It also shows how we can be programmed into biases by those who know how to do such things.

This book is very insightful on just how our brains are wired to work. A very interesting subject.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell (Paperback - Dec 4 2006)
CDN$ 19.00 CDN$ 13.72