4.0 out of 5 stars Great read... until the ending doesn't materialize
Extremely interesting book with insightful theories on why and how we make decisions. Unfortunately, you don't find out until the disappointing end that the "chapters" were independent essays. As with most books, I looked forward to finding out how the author will wrap everything up and tie the stories together in the end. Apparently, Gladwell either didn't feel...
Published on June 23 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Informed Intuition Beats Analysis and Knee-Jerk Prejudices
Like The Tipping Point, Blink has a very simple point which it elaborates from a variety of perspectives. In this case, the point is that our subconscious mind can integrate small, subtle clues to very quickly make great decisions . . . as long as we have been trained to know what clues to focus on.

In developing that simple idea, Mr. Gladwell makes the case...
Published on July 15 2006 by Donald Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars A great study on how our minds work, Nov. 4 2007
Lynne Grey (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
This well-written book shows several studies that have been conducted on how we can, in a 'blink', make an accurate assessment of any situation. The catch, however, is that one must be knowledgeable about the situation at hand.

It also shows how we can be programmed into biases by those who know how to do such things.

This book is very insightful on just how our brains are wired to work. A very interesting subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars I "Thin-Sliced" the Title, March 31 2007
Michael A. Rousell "Sudden Influence: How Spo... (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
Blink is a fun read and fascinating too. "Thin-slicing:" whereby we make a snap judgment, usually accurate in nature, works in the physical world to a magnificent degree. How we know something instantly, without knowing why we know it is often the signpost of our "thin-slicing" proclivity. I enjoyed the read but hoped to see more about how we self-validate our first impressions, giving ourselves the self-fulfilling assurance that we were indeed correct with our limited information. I would also like to see more about how our ability to access social situations evolves from our early encounters. These may be in future books and I look forward to more of Gladwell's fine writing and informative outlooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Split second thinking, Aug. 2 2005
This book is great. There is so much that happens in the brain in a split second and it's fascinating to consider how emotions influence our judgments so quickly. Gladwell presents an interesting journalists perspective on this phenomena. My favorite part was the discussion of "mind blindness."
Another book I recommend is "The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book." It offers a great perspective on emotions and how they influence our actions and comes with an online EQ test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blink, May 29 2005
By A Customer
Interesting book. How can you make decisions without having to think about it? We all have those moments in our lives and this book helps to explain and to even guide us with this process. I got this book along with Stop Working by Rohan Hall. Both books are excellent for better decision making.

4.0 out of 5 stars Think about thinking about the power of thinking without thinking, Sept. 28 2007
EmmEff (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Paperback)
I do not believe this book offers, nor was intended to offer, a compelling reason to stop critical analysis, however it does raise the point that "thin slicing" and instant reactions can be remarkably accurate given.

If nothing else, "Blink" makes the reader draw parallels to personal events, split-second decisions, reactions, and the outcomes that followed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Books For Bigger Thinkers, March 26 2006
You've Got to trust your gut more advises Gladwell, particularly when a little voice inside you seems to be urging you to do what you can't explain. I love the advice and the message of the book. Its got wisdom that you want to trust in and believe. Its a gem just in the way it makes you think about decisions.
I can also recommend one of my favorite books for new business learning in 2006. THE BLACK BOOK OF OUTSOURCING (Brown & Wilson, Wiley Publishers 2006) is a comprehensive guide and directory for the emerging field of outsourcing, including expert advice on how to operate an outsourcing program, how to deal with the political aspects of outsourcing, and how to find a career in outsourcing. In this one-of-a-kind resource, the authors chart a course for business leaders charged with managing outsourcing initiatives and present a wealth of employment opportunities for workers who want to enter this growing field.
Real books for big thinkers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal, Oct. 8 2009
M. Shahi "Mohsen Books" (Canada) - See all my reviews
The book as claimed was new. The price was amazing. The only thing was that the white cover was a bit dirty. Also some pages are printed not exactly vertical: no big deal for reading though.

Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Reads on the State of Business, March 16 2006
Great reading for the advancement minded executive and aspiring manager, Blink makes your brain's creative side get a jump start. Its a great gift choice for business friends also.
Another book which I just bought and recommend is THE BLACK BOOK OF OUTSOURCING (by Brown & Wilson), a top read and primer on outsourcing know-how - - - a super reference and resource guide for managers at all levels.

ARRAY(0xb01e6ad4)

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell (Paperback - Dec 4 2006)
CDN$ 19.00 CDN$ 13.72