Not everything has to have a specific purpose in life. This book really shows how it's about the journey and not the destination. Hilarious stories, glass-half full perspective and good writing. Enjoyed this book very much.
Published 10 months ago by Gillian Grant

1.0 out of 5 stars Bah!
Published on March 15 2010 by YM

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Done!, Dec 19 2013
This is a great book that follows the movie, or is it vice versa? Well written and interesting. there are great stories about Julia Child in there.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book makes you love your life, and take things more lightly., Sept. 11 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars This is not a screenplay!, Sept. 13 2009
Lisa Douglas (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
For those of you that read Julie Powell's blog, you'll find this a more polished and cohesive telling of her experience cooking her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, warts, obscenities, and all. It fills in some of the details of her personal life, what happened once the project was finished, and recounts the hiccups and breakdowns she experienced honestly, without trying to make herself look better or be more likeable.

Those that saw the movie should note that the movie was based on TWO books, Julie & Julia (by Julie Powell) and Child's autobiography, My Life in France (written with her husband's grandnephew Alex Prud'homme). If you're looking for more information about Julia Child's life beyond some witty qutoes and basic background you should pick up the autobiography, as Julie & Julia is firmly about Julie Powell and the Julie/Julia project.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bah!, March 15 2010
This book was brutal! If I could give zero stars I would. It was my travel book and being somewhat of a foodie totally looked fwd to this book. But it was utterly self absorbed and boring. I totally understand why Julia Child turned her nose up at this woman's blog. This definitely was not an ode to Julia Child or her recipes, this was making a quick buck and 15 mins of fame from Julia Child's name.

I got through a 1/3 of the book and finally admitted defeat.

"My Life in France" is so much better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Julia and Julia, Sept. 5 2009
"Julie and Julia" by Julie Powell is the story of Julie Powell writing blogs about her journey through Julia Child's famous book "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". Julie decides to cook her way through every recipe in the book within a year and write about her experiences in a blog.

I was expecting a great book about food and about the history of Julia Child and about the experiences of a novice cook, cooking her way through Julia's cookbook. What I got was a story about drinking, swearing, sex and friends with a bit of the stuff I was looking for.

I did not become attached to Julie Powell and could not relate to her problems and how she handled her life. Do people really drink that much? Being a self proclaimed foodie I wanted so much more about the cooking experience itself instead of all the personal trauma and whining that Julie writes about...it was an agitating read.

1.0 out of 5 stars How disapointing....., Dec 18 2009
E. Lennie "Canada's Reader" (Saskatoon, SK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously (Paperback)
I found myself putting this book down half way through, sadly. After seeing Julie & Julia, I thought this book would be a nice complement, filling in gaps that may have been missed in the film. Alas, it was not. Instead it was filled with self-absorbing material that seemed to go on for pages...Not only that, she seemed to be incredibly willing to over describe surroundings, what a bore! Don't waste your hard earned money on this "foodie's" attempt to cash in on Julia Child's name.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable "Foodie" read..., Aug. 4 2009
Calgary Book Worm "Jane" (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this book to take on vacation with me, when normally I'll read 3 or 4 books in a week quite easily. This book took me a while...I even brought it home with me to finish (previously unheard of!) I found it a bit slow going to begin with, and at times wondered if I'd ditch it for a different book, but I persevered, and eventually found in it, a good read with some great lines which made me laugh out loud. I am looking forward to seeing how the film compares when it's released this week. If you're into "food," you'll most likely enjoy this book.
Now I've seen the film...and so should you! I can't remember the last time I watched such a delightfully entertaining movie. Meryl Streep, who I normally don't enjoy particularly, is absolutely captivating as Julia Child, and Amy Adams plays her part as Julie very well. It follows the book pretty well too. My only recommendation would be if you've never watched Julia Child in action, watch a video clip of her on YouTube before seeing this movie, otherwise you'll think Meryl Streep is seriously overacting!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing read, Oct. 6 2009
A. Nunn - See all my reviews
I really didn't like this book. It seemed very off-topic, self-involved, and incredibly boring.

I was expecting more of a book about cooking and the recipes and actually about her "cooking dangerously", but instead learned more than I ever cared to know about the personal lives of people she knew, and about how she was amused at people online objecting to her using the f-word often in her blog posts.

I have written a more in-depth review at [...].

3.0 out of 5 stars So So, Aug. 27 2009
I too bought this because I loved the movie preview. I really liked the parts where she talked about Julia Child's life or quoted her, and her cooking descriptions. I also did not care for the swearing, and how self-absorbed Julie often was. I liked her character better in the movie than the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book is great!, Nov. 28 2011
I placed an order on October 26th, and took a little longer than expected.
The book is in great condition and good value as well.
Thanks again...

Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously
Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell (Paperback - Sept. 7 2006)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.40