Published on Dec 22 2006 by Avery

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too much like an adult Harlequin romance
Okay, so I'm a 35 year old, but I"ve got street cred to write this review...I read a LOT of teen fiction (or young adult as our library classifies it.) I always have, always will. And I love vampire novels, so I was really looking forward to sinking my teeth into this one.

Published on Dec 18 2006 by Voracious Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars I know what I am talking about when I say that this is an amazing read, Dec 22 2006
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
I am a 16 year old and I work at my public library. All I pretty much do is read. I always keep an eye out for the best reads, what seems to be the most popular, and I must say that this is the best book that I have ever read, excluding the second, and I have read books like A Million Little Pieces, and the Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Lovely Bones, Eragon, Eldest, and all of the Harry Potters numerous times. You will enjoy it, because Stephenie Meyer is a genius. I read this book in 4 hours, and the second in 3. I have started rereading both and have now got my mom addicted. You will enjoy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, May 5 2013
Johanna Ziegler (Brockville, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is one of the bests books i have ever read and also one of the few that I have read several times. She is an amazing writer....

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite series, March 19 2013
MPD readings (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
This is one of my favorite series and I highly recommend it. Great character development, great plot, overall, great experience, I personally could not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, Feb. 6 2013
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
Hooked-a real fan of the Twilight Sagas. Shame there isn't more to this story line once I've read Twilight-Breaking Dawn it's over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alluring, Jan. 21 2007
W. Knight (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
This book was an easy read, with a simple plot. It kept me turning the pages and wishing for more of it, even after I finished it.
It was about a teen girl named Bella, she moves to a small, miserable rainy, town named Forks, to live with her father. Then she meets a charming guy at school who doesn't exactly talk to her, Edward, at first anyways. After a while he decides to talk with her, and then they hang out a little, and she finds out a rather interesting secret, or possibly a myth about him, and that starts their little adventure...

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too much like an adult Harlequin romance, Dec 18 2006
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)

But, since I am the ripe old age of 35, I've also read a lot of books for adults, and though it pains me to admit it, I went through a spell where all I read were Harlequin Romance Novels (don't condemn me to the lowest reaches of Hades for it, I outgrew it.)

So, I was really disappointed to notice quite a few similarities between those bodice rippers and this novel.

The author uses a lot of over-the-top language...Bella is "in an agony of despair" over things that aren't that big of a deal, and Bella seems to have not much of a mental life of her own after Edward is nice to her for the first time. I know that actually can reflect the teenage experience of first romance, I know, I know. But it could still be written with less stock phrases normally found in romance novels.

But what made me write this review was the part I got to this morning. Bella has just been saved from a potentially dangerous situation involving being "herded" and hunted by 4 adult men. And when Edward shows up in his shining car, he's mad at her, and it becomes (once again, darnit) about how HE is feeling. And, though she was the one in danger, her first question to him is "Are you allright?"....but BELLA!! You are the one who has just been terrorized! Why are you turning to him like only what he thinks and what he feels matters? That happens over and over in this book (well, up to the part I'm at right now) and it's really frustrating.

I'll finish reading the book because it's not that bad, it's really not. And as every Vampire Novel loving person out there knows, we can't be too picky, there isn't an unlimited supply of these novels on our library shelves unfortunately. But I am really disturbed that someone who is writing for a teenage audience is portraying our heroine in some really contradictory ways. Strong on one hand, but then totally "devastated" on the other if she thinks the guy she likes might be mad at her. That's not the kind of role model I want to read about, let alone let my daughter read about.

Okay, vent over.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, but definitely made for a young female reader, Sept. 3 2008
A. N. Mousavi (Montreal, Qc) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
I bought this book at an airport for lack of finding anything else to read. I finished it in 2 days. Now that is good...and bad. I have to admit that the story captivated me, but it was too easy to read...way too easy. I liked the characters, but towards the end, I wished Bella would stop mentioning just how good looking Edward was all the time! If I had read this at 15, I would of loved it. Now at 25, I've read too much to appreciate it fully. I have to admit though, the way she described how she was feeling the first time she was in love really did bring me back to being 17. But this is the thing, it felt like a harlequin novel for teens, with the twist being that she's in love with a vampire. Which is what intrigued me to read this book in the first place.
Also, there is a lot of repetition towards the end, which frustrated me the most, because I was taken away from the story and started to think about the author and why she used a certain word again, say this again... I'm undecided if I'll read the others, to see if the book matures, but from the reviews, I have a feeling it does not.

OH, and I thought for a second of my boyfriend reading this and I actually laughed out loud at the thought. Definitely geared for girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Aug. 25 2007
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
I have always been a sucker for vampire stories. Get it? Sucker? Vampires? Okay, enough with the bad puns, you get the idea. So when the woman who ran our school district's Scholastic Book Fair recommended TWILIGHT to me, I was intrigued. And when I cracked open a copy, I went from intrigued, to engrossed, to breathless with anticipation in a matter of about ten minutes. This is a fantastic book!

TWILIGHT is to blame for me walking around like a zombie for a week because I stayed up way too late every night reading it. TWILIGHT almost made me wish I was back in high school - but only if my high school were filled with unnaturally beautiful vampires, and one was fangs-over-heels in love with me. TWILIGHT is the reason I read fiction: it's a wonderful new story that sparks my imagination and transports me to another time and place. Have I mentioned that I love this book?

The plot in a nutshell is that seventeen-year-old Isabella Swan reluctantly moves to the rainy town of Forks, Washington. She soon discovers that in addition to the boring locals, there is also a family of vampires attending her high school. They are taking classes, driving too fast, and avoiding the cafeteria food, just like real teenagers. Since Bella is a magnet for trouble, she attracts the eye of one extraordinarily handsome vampire. It isn't long before she's smack in the middle of the vampire nest.

Described like this, TWILIGHT might not seem extraordinary, but it is. The way the story unfolds and the feel of the gray, cloudy setting really roped me in. I like the characters - I understand what makes them tick. Furthermore, this book's unique take on vampire lore is intriguing. I also enjoyed the humor that was sprinkled into what might otherwise have been a fairly serious love story.

This a well fleshed-out story that I highly recommend. But don't pick up TWILIGHT during finals week or when you're resting up before piloting a transcontinental airline flight. Accept the fact that you won't get any sleep until you've finished this whole, thick book. Then dive in and enjoy!

Reviewed by: K. Osborn Sullivan

1.0 out of 5 stars Twinkling vampires galore, Jan. 11 2009
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
Stephanie Meyer writes vampire fiction as many teenage girls do -- overblown writing, sexy cold vampires, and a vacuously attractive heroine who serves as the readers' stand-in.

And so it's hardly surprising that her megahit debut "Twilight" is essentially a teenage fantasy about finding the Perfect Hot Immortal Coverboy Who Longs For You Alone. Innocuous sparkling vampires, buckets of pointless teenage angst and a plot tacked on at the last minute leave this one of the more bloodless examples of vampire romance.

Klutzy Bella Swan is oh-so-self-sacrificingly going to live with her small-town cop dad, and is appalled by the student body -- all the local boys decide that (ick!) they like her, and all the girls are shallow idiots compared to her.

Then she's struck by the ash-pale, vaguely incestuous Cullen family -- an especially by the Hawt and Brooding Edward Cullen. Edward doesn't seem to like her much, resulting in much Teen Angst. but when Bella is nearly killed by a runaway car, he somehow manages to zip across the parking lot and knock away the car. Bella eventually figures out that he's a vampire-- a "vegetarian vampire" with the power to read thoughts... except hers.

Despite his fears that he'll hurt her, their smoldering chemistry (and Bella's tantalizing smell) draws them into a relationship... at which point, since the plot has had zero non-teenybopper tension, three two-dimensionally evil vampires enter the scene, intent on hunting Bella. The Cullens whisk her away to keep her safe from this trio -- but their enemies have more than one way to find her.

The book "Twilight" is essentially the eroticized fantasies of a teenage girl, purple of prose and taking itself hilariously seriously. In fact, reading this novel feels suspiciously like eavesdropping on Stephanie Meyer's fantasies of having a hot, sparkle-skinned vampire stalking her on a nightly basis to show his undying love.

Unfortunately there's not much more to the plot than that -- most of it involves Bella and Edward smoldering at each other, and Bella's contemplation of Edward's "scintillating, incandescent" body and Greek-god hotness. Furthermore Meyer smears the entire book in wildly swinging emotions, tepid dialogue, and overly ornate, purple prose -- the descriptions of Edward's chest alone may induce choking and diabetic coma.

After a horrendously silly "meet the vampire family," Meyer belatedly realizes that the book needs more than angst and sparkles and Edward is constantly shying away from Bella's virginal neck (what does that imply about sucking blood from animals?). So she tacks in a contrived subplot about evil vampires who are hunting Bella. Just... because they want to.

And heroine Bella is truly an amazing character -- she manages to be a blank slate for mass fantasy projection, while also managing to be whiny, selfish, snobby and superhumanly shallow (since the only person she cares about is the Hawt Rich Guy). Edward is a suitable mate for her -- he broods, smolders and stalks her to show that he loves her eternally. After all, isn't a bipolar stalker watching you sleep the very image of true love?

As for the other characters... well, we have quirky vampire Alice to add some humor to the story. But otherwise, none of them really matter much except to reflect how awesome Edward and Bella are -- and the villains could not be any thinner if Meyer snipped them from sparkly incandescent skin.

Those who dream of eternal angsty love with an Immortal Hottie may find "Twilight" a delight, but it's no more than a thin, flat guilty pleasure at best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, May 1 2008
This review is from: Twilight (Hardcover)
I succumbed to reading this book after hearing about it from many of my friends (30 year old mums with young children). I'd put it off because "Vampires? I don't read books about vampires". I'm glad that I did put it off, because now I have less time to wait for book 4!

Reading this book is addictive. I stayed up 2 nights in a row until 4 am and read all three books in 48 hours. My children and husband didn't know what had come over me. I recommended the book to my two sisters-in-law, and they immediately became as obsessed as I was, reading around the clock and waiting outside the bookshop before it opened to get the next volume in the series.

My husband tried the first 200 pages of Twilight and couldn't read further. "Won't she stop talking about how handsome Edward Cullen is?" "Do girls really think like that?"

Yes, they do. Read this book- but be prepared to disappear from your own life for a couple days!

Twilight
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (Paperback - Sept. 6 2006)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.82