5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS WRITTEN
Published 2 months ago by a flower

1.0 out of 5 stars Twinkling vampires galore
Stephanie Meyer writes vampire fiction as many teenage girls do -- overblown writing, sexy cold vampires, and a vacuously attractive heroine who serves as the readers' stand-in.

Published on Jan. 11 2009 by E. A Solinas

1.0 out of 5 stars Twinkling vampires galore, Jan. 11 2009
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)

And so it's hardly surprising that her megahit debut "Twilight" is essentially a teenage fantasy about finding the Perfect Hot Immortal Coverboy Who Longs For You Alone. Innocuous sparkling vampires, buckets of pointless teenage angst and a plot tacked on at the last minute leave this one of the more bloodless examples of vampire romance.

Klutzy Bella Swan is oh-so-self-sacrificingly going to live with her small-town cop dad, and is appalled by the student body -- all the local boys decide that (ick!) they like her, and all the girls are shallow idiots compared to her.

Then she's struck by the ash-pale, vaguely incestuous Cullen family -- an especially by the Hawt and Brooding Edward Cullen. Edward doesn't seem to like her much, resulting in much Teen Angst. but when Bella is nearly killed by a runaway car, he somehow manages to zip across the parking lot and knock away the car. Bella eventually figures out that he's a vampire-- a "vegetarian vampire" with the power to read thoughts... except hers.

Despite his fears that he'll hurt her, their smoldering chemistry (and Bella's tantalizing smell) draws them into a relationship... at which point, since the plot has had zero non-teenybopper tension, three two-dimensionally evil vampires enter the scene, intent on hunting Bella. The Cullens whisk her away to keep her safe from this trio -- but their enemies have more than one way to find her.

The book "Twilight" is essentially the eroticized fantasies of a teenage girl, purple of prose and taking itself hilariously seriously. In fact, reading this novel feels suspiciously like eavesdropping on Stephanie Meyer's fantasies of having a hot, sparkle-skinned vampire stalking her on a nightly basis to show his undying love.

Unfortunately there's not much more to the plot than that -- most of it involves Bella and Edward smoldering at each other, and Bella's contemplation of Edward's "scintillating, incandescent" body and Greek-god hotness. Furthermore Meyer smears the entire book in wildly swinging emotions, tepid dialogue, and overly ornate, purple prose -- the descriptions of Edward's chest alone may induce choking and diabetic coma.

After a horrendously silly "meet the vampire family," Meyer belatedly realizes that the book needs more than angst and sparkles and Edward is constantly shying away from Bella's virginal neck (what does that imply about sucking blood from animals?). So she tacks in a contrived subplot about evil vampires who are hunting Bella. Just... because they want to.

And heroine Bella is truly an amazing character -- she manages to be a blank slate for mass fantasy projection, while also managing to be whiny, selfish, snobby and superhumanly shallow (since the only person she cares about is the Hawt Rich Guy). Edward is a suitable mate for her -- he broods, smolders and stalks her to show that he loves her eternally. After all, isn't a bipolar stalker watching you sleep the very image of true love?

As for the other characters... well, we have quirky vampire Alice to add some humor to the story. But otherwise, none of them really matter much except to reflect how awesome Edward and Bella are -- and the villains could not be any thinner if Meyer snipped them from sparkly incandescent skin.

Those who dream of eternal angsty love with an Immortal Hottie may find "Twilight" a delight, but it's no more than a thin, flat guilty pleasure at best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, but definitely made for a young female reader, Sept. 3 2008
A. N. Mousavi (Montreal, Qc) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
I bought this book at an airport for lack of finding anything else to read. I finished it in 2 days. Now that is good...and bad. I have to admit that the story captivated me, but it was too easy to read...way too easy. I liked the characters, but towards the end, I wished Bella would stop mentioning just how good looking Edward was all the time! If I had read this at 15, I would of loved it. Now at 25, I've read too much to appreciate it fully. I have to admit though, the way she described how she was feeling the first time she was in love really did bring me back to being 17. But this is the thing, it felt like a harlequin novel for teens, with the twist being that she's in love with a vampire. Which is what intrigued me to read this book in the first place.
Also, there is a lot of repetition towards the end, which frustrated me the most, because I was taken away from the story and started to think about the author and why she used a certain word again, say this again... I'm undecided if I'll read the others, to see if the book matures, but from the reviews, I have a feeling it does not.

OH, and I thought for a second of my boyfriend reading this and I actually laughed out loud at the thought. Definitely geared for girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS WRITTEN, Jan. 26 2014
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
I love Twilight. I read a dozens of times from the library, and once we got a kindle, I bought my own copy. This is a popular book, and I can see exactly why! It is a very emotional book, the feelings so strong I felt them myself. I love Bella, Edward and all the Cullens - every time I read this book I fall in love with them even more. You ARE NOT wasting time reading this book. I highly suggest getting it now!
I think Twilight could be read at 12... Not younger though. There is some rather frighting bits about vampires, which can be expected...
Anyway, this powerful book waiting to be your next favourite book!

2.0 out of 5 stars MEH, Jan. 10 2014
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
I bought this book because i ran out of things to read... lets just say I have not finished it. The story line is boring, I wanna smack around the characters. I get how peope love this s***, but it aint my cup of tea... This book will be in the donate pile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Jan. 3 2014
This review is from: Twilight (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed the first book of the trilogy, it paints a much better picture than the movie. Very enjoyable read

4.0 out of 5 stars fun ride, Dec 30 2013
Samreen - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
although i dont read much of YA romance but still i liked it very much. Even though it is completely fictional, and nothing in it could EVER be real, still, its fun to read something apart from real people romance :) the exciting part was when Cullens protected Bella from other vampires

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and easy purchase., Aug. 31 2013
This review is from: Twilight (Hardcover)
Product was in very goo condition just as described.
Shpping was fats and at a good price which is always much appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, May 5 2013
Johanna Ziegler (Brockville, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is one of the bests books i have ever read and also one of the few that I have read several times. She is an amazing writer....

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite series, March 19 2013
MPD readings (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
This is one of my favorite series and I highly recommend it. Great character development, great plot, overall, great experience, I personally could not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, Feb. 6 2013
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
Hooked-a real fan of the Twilight Sagas. Shame there isn't more to this story line once I've read Twilight-Breaking Dawn it's over.

ARRAY(0xb0010150)

Twilight
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (Paperback - Sept. 6 2006)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79