Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools SmartSaver

Format: PaperbackChange

on April 19, 2011
What a treat it was to read this book--I couldn't put it down! Bossypants was charming, witty, and well-paced. Tina Fey delivered her life stories with such fun and humour that you can't help but laugh along. As a reader, you appreciate the selection of the great stories she chose to share. It was truly enjoyable to read the snapshots from her childhood to pursuing her passion in improv and writing to her career in SNL and 30 Rock.

Between the humour, I learned a lot from her work ethics, her dedication, and her approach to problems in the workplace. I really respect some of the statements she made.

The only criticism I have is that when the last page comes, you feel a little disappointed that the fun's over. But that's when you flip back to the start of the book again and go through some of many remarkable moments.

If you are a fan of her writing, her TV show, or her humour, you will definitely find this book entertaining. Thanks for writing such a great book, Ms. Fey!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
"Bossypants" is a short memoir by comedian Tina Fey.

At times, a laugh out loud collection of anecdotal tales ranging from youth to present day. What is revealed are the trials, tribulations, frustrations and truly funny events that are a part of becoming a struggling comedian to a larger than life actor/writer for SNL and 30 Rock. Much of it done with tongue-in-cheek, dry humour.

This memoir is like a shotgun going sprays its load over a wide area, creating chaos (in this case, funny chaos) in a wide swarth. If I had any regret, it would be that there was no mention of her Oscar appearance with Steve Martin ( "Don't fall in love with me" ) of my favourite Oscar moments.

If you like Tina Fey you'll like this.
A real treat...I enjoyed every moment of this wonderful book. 5 Stars.

Ray Nicholson
on April 28, 2011
If you like Tina Fey, you'll like this book!

I didn't want to put it down! The only bad thing is, it's too short! Almost 300 pages I believe, and it's so good, that you just speed right through it! 'Bosseypants' is very well written, charming, funny, and you really get a glimps as to how down to earth Tina Fey is. Really recommend this book!
on May 9, 2011
I'm afraid to tell you how much I loved this book for fear of pumping it up to the point it will only lead to disappointment ... But I loved this book! From the heart pulling teen years to bad hair cuts! I dare you to read this book in public!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 26, 2011
This was one funny read. Sometimes I'd miss a joke and have to "hear" it being said by Tina in my head and then I'd laugh. I am a 30 Rock fan, so that makes me a bit biased. Non-Tina fans might be left scratching their heads at some of her screwball, mostly self-deprecating, humour but I loved it. I also enjoyed her story. There was just enough personal history for her to seem human but not so much that I was bored. Her honesty and moral outlook rings true. I am not a star-struck sort of person, but this book made me want to meet Tina in person.
on April 17, 2011
I don't want to spoil anything, all I have to say is that this book made me laugh more than anything I've ever read.
Well done Tina! :)))
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I can't say I'm a huge SNL buff and I can't say I've ever seen 30 Rock but I can say that Tina Fey is one funny woman. In Bossypants, she chronicles her rise to fame and prestige in a male-dominated comedy scene. With feminist overtones, attacks on beauty standards, and a healthy dose of self-deprecation, Fey's memoir successfully combines intelligent insight and laugh-out-loud moments.
on June 10, 2012
This book is very Tina Fey. Her references to herself and her life are wonderfully amusing to be sure, but also manage to keep the reader at arm's length. As she suggests in the book, she wants to make the jokes about herself before anyone else can. She succeeds, of course: no one could top any of them.

We learn about her childhood, her family--especially her father--and her career choices. We learn about her eventual association with Second City in Chicago and how that led to Saturday Night Live, and ultimately, 30 Rock.

She talks only obliquely about her husband, Jeff Richmond. Not that I wanted (or ever want) any intimate details, but I expected her to perhaps describe their first meeting at Second City Chicago, or when and how they decided to marry. I expected her to mention his contribution to 30 Rock as producer and most certainly as composer. He is, to be sure, an incredibly talented musician. You'll find none of this. It's as if she and Jeff made a deal in which she agreed not to talk about him very much. There's certainly an entire chapter--or two--gone missing. We basically learn of him that he hates to fly, does all the driving in their family, and as near as I can tell, accompanied her on her honeymoon.

In short, Bossypants is not so much autobiographical as it is anecdotal. If you were expecting to get to know Tina Fey better, you won't. The impression you had of her when you first bought the book, will be basically the same one you have when you finally close it.

It is, nevertheless, a great little book.
on September 8, 2011
Funny, breezy autobiography with very little dirt and a surprising amount of practical advice on comedy (the two-page section on 'How to Successfully Improv' is gold, Jerry, pure gold!). Some of the stuff on Fey's Sarah Palin is pretty interesting as well, combining the personal (Palin offered to have Bristol baby-sit Fey's duaghter during their co-appearance on Ssaturday Night Live) and the political (a few weeks later, Palin complained publically about all those mean impressions of her).

You'll find out that a certain number of 30 Rock bits are based on reality (including the propensity of some male writers at SNL to urinate into containers in their offices because they were too lazy to go to the bathroom), though you'll get very little on the day-to-day workings of the show or wacky stories about wacky goings-on -- probably because 30 Rock is still airing, making it a bit of a necessity to avoid the chance of ruffling any feathers.

Like Steve Carrell on The Office, Fey is a happily married parent who plays a gormless singleton. I'm not sure what that means in the Big Picture, but there it is. Fey also briefly explains where the scar on her face came from, a scar I wasn't actually aware she had until I read this autobiography. The Photoshopped cover riffs on Fey's experiences being on the covers of magazines, by the way.
on June 14, 2011
As a new mother, I found this a great book to decompress as the little one slept. So funny and relateable on so many levels. I love that Tina Fey doesn't take herself too seriously, which is so refreshing. I didn't follow her career too much, am neither an avid SNL or 30 Rock viewer, but found the anecdotes related to her work experiences a fun read with the script snippets. My favourite chapters were about her cruise honeymoon and doing magazine photoshoots - hilarious!!

Two surprises, not bad necessarily, just observations - there are a few stories about her father, husband and daughter but there was little about her relationships on an emotional level. I wondered whether she is just intensely private, doesn't have alot of sentimental baggage or if it wasn't a goal of hers in writing this book. As well, I wasn't aware she was such a feminist, some sarcastic remarks with a strong undertone!

In all, I highly recommend this book. You finish with a renewed sense to find the humour in daily things, to lighten up and relax - a stress reliever for sure!