march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 2, 2008
The Almost Moon is the second book I've read by Alice Sebold (the other being The Lovely Bones). This book was a bit like watching a train wreck - you couldn't really believe what was happening but you couldn't look away. The main character is not terribly sympathetic - we meet her right after she has killed her elderly mother - but we can all recognize the humanity in her. Sebold is clearly a writer in a different category from most. She tackles the most unusual story lines and holds the reader for the entire novel. While I enjoyed The Lovely Bones more, if enjoy is the right word to use with Sebold's novel topics, I still found this book to be a very good read.
on May 5, 2008
Other reviewers are slamming this book because, I suspect, they don't understand the protagonist or her actions. While I don't claim to understand the protagonist's actions either, I can relate to her character. I know about living your entire life trying to be what others want you to be, in the mistaken belief and hope that if you could just be 'right enough' or 'good enough', it might stop your mentally ill (or alcoholic or abusive) mother (or father or other caregiver) from acting the way they do.
I couldn't reject the story outright, because so much of it had relevance for me. I know about doing the wrong things, about not being able to reach out to someone with a hug or encouraging words because that kind of behavior is alien. And even knowing how normal people are supposed to behave isn't always enough to teach an 'abnormal' person how to behave. Knowledge and experience are so different and experience always counts most.
There were times when, as I read the story, I wondered if Ms. Sebold had proposed this objective for the novel: to write about someone who makes all the wrong choices, regardless of her intent. Most readers are voting that such a person can't exist. But I agree that truth is stranger than fiction and such a person probably does exist somewhere. You might not want to ever meet her. But she's out there.
on November 8, 2011
Like most other people who bought this book, I had fallen in love with The Lovely Bones and thought I would do the same with The Almost Moon. This was definitely not the case, and I do not think that this book is worth the money wasted. I have tried to finish reading the book to justify the cost of buying it, only to want to reach into the book and smack some sense into the characters. And I still have not finished it. Final note- I really wish I had read the reviews on this book before I bought it.
on March 22, 2009
After reading both Alice Sebold's last books, Lucky (memoir) & The lovely Bones (WOW) I was awaiting her next release impatiently. Unfortunatly it fell short for me. It was good but not great. The story was good but I never had time to fall in love with the main caracter so the whole book kept me hungryly awaiting that moment. I feel the caracters should all have been more deeply explored. And the ending left me a bit frustrated. Where it should have let me thinking. Just a normal read for me.
on December 17, 2007
Like most people who were enchanted by Seabolds first novel "the lovely bones" I was very excited to finally sit down and turn to the first page of this, her second work of fiction. Twenty pages later and I know that if it wasn't for her earlier book I would have stopped reading this awful tripe a few pages earlier. It is not a good story, nor well written and there are no characters who we care about in the slightest. I did indeed finish the book but grudgingly and it did not get any better, if fact probably worse. Whether Alice Seabold will write anything worthy again is in the lap of the gods, but I think any subsequent work of hers will always include "by the author of "the lovely bones" on the dust jacket and I will bet my last dollar that no future book by hers will ever be published that claims "by the author of "the almost moon".
on November 29, 2008
on August 29, 2011
Like others, after reading Lovely Bones, I was delighted to find another book by Sebold. The result was disappointment. This is the first time ever that I have not finished a book. It begins with the unthinkable and descends into crassness, without even the redemption of eloquent prose that Sebold has shown herself capable of in the past. As it continued to deteriorate I realized that it was not necessary to put myself through the distaste of reading to the end. I would recommend not wasting money or time on it. (Since this page insists on reviewers allocating a rating I had to click an undeserved one star).
on December 12, 2007
Hard to read, but well written. Should she have killed her mother? No. Did she love her mother? Yes. Did she hate her mother? Yes. It's complicated and the lay of the land is rough - the land between mothers and daughters. I think Alice Sebold did an excellent job dealing with this territory and that of mental illness.
on January 8, 2008
I loved reading The Lovely Bones and Lucky. Both books were amazing. However, I was taken back when I began to read the almost moon. It is well written, but no where close to her others books. It was a bit of a disappointment.
on January 20, 2008
I also was highly dissappointed, I am just trying to finish it to justify the purchase, ugh, I hate wasting money on bad reads!