5.0 out of 5 stars Once again in top form...
Published on Sept. 22 2010 by B. Lawson

1.0 out of 5 stars Bloody awful
I still cannot believe the writer who created Azoth/Kylar, Durzo Blint, Jar, Logan, Neph Dada, Ursuul, created this...product called the Black Prism.

I will acknowledge that the magical realm created is different to most but that's where the difference ends. The book is tedious and the characters are pedestrian.

Kip is just simply annoying. At first...
Published 22 months ago by Nunya

5.0 out of 5 stars Once again in top form..., Sept. 22 2010
This review is from: The Black Prism (Hardcover)
My hat off to Mr. Weeks. He has done it again. I did not think he could top the Night Angel trilogy, but he masterfully weaves his magic again in a universe unlike anything we have seen before - and we do get to see a lot of tired plots and cliches in the fantasy genre. His characters are always spectacularly drawn - vivid, flawed, human and always deserving our empathy. The book kept surprising me - no one is quite what you expect them to be and there are hidden depths slowly being revealed as the book progresses. Fantastic pace, dry wit, political subtleties... the works. If there was ever one thing to reproach this book (I am trying to be picky here) the descriptions are somewhat lacklustre. In other words, if you enjoy the lush romanticism of Gavriel Kay, you will not find it here. Other than the blue prison (I don't want to give away any details) it is hard to picture how any particular place looks like. However, the deft character portrayals, the inspired magic system and the narrative provide more than ample joy to the fantasy reader. Looking forward to the next book in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars simply amazing, and "colourful", June 7 2011
This review is from: The Black Prism (Hardcover)
Since I am not a man who is good with words, I will not be giving an in depth review of the novel. However, since I have enjoyed all of Brent Weeks' novels, I feel I must show my support. As with his Night Angel Trilogy, this book is very well written, and paints a world unlike anything you've ever imagined (ok, maybe its just anything I've ever imagined). I absolutely loved the characters in this novel, I love the events that transpired, and battles each character faces both externally and internally. After finishing the book, I honestly can not wait for the next two in the trilogy. I feel this book is definitely worth a try, as well as the night angel trilogy books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, June 11 2014
I'm not finished yet but the book has a hold on me. The plot is interesting and keeps you reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistible is an Understatement, May 10 2014
This review is from: The Black Prism (Hardcover)
Make it past the first 5 pages and you will not be able to put this book down. I thought the Night Angel series was good, but this... this is the best fiction novel I have read in more than 10 years. A must read. Parts of the plot may be predictable, yes, but the unpredictable ones make up for that and more.

Stop checking it out and grab a copy N.O.W!

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, Jan. 28 2014
Hard to get the concept of drafting initially but a great idea. Really enjoyed the whole book I had to keep reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, Dec 20 2013
This review is from: The Black Prism (Hardcover)
Absolutely incredible writing if you love fast paced fantasy books. Brilliant author.

Also check out the Night Angle Trilogy if you like the Lightbringer series!

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, Nov. 2 2013
Mark Adams (Margaree Harbour) - See all my reviews
Rich world. Full and interesting characters and a compelling plot with enough twists to keep you entertained into the late

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, Oct. 2 2013
This review is from: The Black Prism (Mass Market Paperback)
That was my first book by Brent Weeks. I was trying to find something to read during Yom Kippur and to take my mind off the MBA books.

I found the book on the same shelf as Lord of The Rings and Nine princes of Amber. I figured it is probably good:) The good is good, but not on the level of Nine princes of Amber.

The magical world is interesting and does suck you in. I can't give it 5 stars, because a lot of characters were too familiar - cliche. Also there was some repetition and I thought the end of it dragged out a bit.

Still it was a fun book to read and one of the best new fantasy stories in a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, April 17 2013
A. Soares - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Black Prism (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this after reading and enjoying the Night Angel trilogy. Brent Weeks' success with the Night Angel Trilogy was no fluke! Everything works about the new world Weeks has created in the Black Prism. The characters are amazing, full of life changing secrets... Love how no one is purely good or purely bad.

Weeks has "drafted" a wonderful magic system, based on color and will. Gavin Guile is the Prism, a drafter that draft all of the different colors of the Spectrum. At the beginning of the story, Gavin learns that he has apparently fathered a bastard son in the war of the false prism years before. Kip is that son and is fat, obnoxious and awkward, a refreshing change from the largely suave characters we read about lately. Guile retrieves Kip just as his village has been destroyed and the story is off to a roaring start.

If you like books where the action is quick and the plot twists keep coming, this is the book for you.

Loved it!

Con: Kip seems to get over the destruction of his village and murder of everyone he has known in the blink of an eye. However, not sure I would have enjoyed reading about him weeping over his fate for the duration of the book so, all in all, I believe it is for the best!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bloody awful, Dec 21 2012
This review is from: The Black Prism (Mass Market Paperback)

Kip is just simply annoying. At first his self deprecation was almost endearing, but by the time I'd gotten to page 700 (yeah, 700!) and he was still on with the self disparagement, the self put-downs, the self ridicule, I was just done! Really, cause I haven't been able to go any further in the book. It was a marathon endeavor that I assumed would pay off. I was let down...

It was a struggle to get to page 700 or thereabouts as I found the characters to be too one dimensional. I kept expecting more. I guess being such a fan of the characters from The Night Angel Trilogy, I was gearing up to be blown away by the unexpected. Didn't happen. Mr. Weeks sought to paint his characters as flawed, often-time amoral, but struggling to maintain their 'humanity' and humorous in the struggle, but it just did not work. They all spoke the same. Their delivery was the same, the words were the same their base intent the same. In short, the characters did not stand out from each other.

I am not sure what happened but something did. Mr Weeks has lost that elusive something that makes his work talked about. He needs to go on a journey to find it. Pronto. Cause writing another in the manner of The Black Prism, will cost him readers who have higher expectations from the genre...

The Black Prism
The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 1 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.95