5.0 out of 5 stars The Night Angel Trilogy
Published on June 28 2010 by S. Mills

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor
Ah. I like books. I like *good* books.

This is cliche after cliche. There is too much unnecessary sex talk (all the female characters seem to either be sex objects or nymphomaniacs). Yes, in any male-female interaction either the guy is horny, the gal thinks the guy is horny when he isn't, or some other sexualised something is going on. It's fine in its place...
Published on March 12 2011 by Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars The Night Angel Trilogy, June 28 2010
S. Mills (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
I never read a book twice, because I have a great memory for the storylines - this entire trilogy I've read twice, it's going into my permanent book collection, and I expect to read the entire series again - for the 3rd time - this coming fall. I was hooked by the first page of the first book and could not pull myself away. I read while making and eating breakfast, I read at lunch time, I read at dinner time, I read in bed. I visited Weeks' website and all the fan-forums. OK, so I'm totally addicted.

This series is filled with the classic quest theme and classic and tragic heroes of all descriptions abound the pages. Characters are complex with an inner life and thought process that demonstrates Weeks ability to generate dynamic and full-fledged characters. My heart wanted to scoop Azoth, Doll Girl and Jarl out of the streets that they struggled to survive. As Azoth's apprenticeship to Durzo evolves, the relationship that starts out simply as master-apprentice - and a means of survival for Azoth - grows into much more for both characters and which culminates in the third book into mutual love and respect of an adult father-son relationship (no they are not related). Supporting characters are just as strong and intriguing.

You'll find these books are page-turners and the threads that go to create the fabulous tapestry of this story coloured by good, evil, hope, human struggle, faith, friendship, trust, personal sacrifice and belief that a better day will come.

Do yourself a favour and buy the trilogy. I bought the first book and then had to go back online three days later to get books two and three. I loaned the first book to a neighbour, who two days later was begging for the next in the series. We just had lunch today to discuss these books and Weeks' promise of a 4th book to come sometime in the future. How many times can you say that about a book?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Brent Weeks is now fighting with David Gemmell to be my favorite fantasy author., July 29 2013
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
This trilogy is dark, thrilling and exquisitely written. Character development is profound, meaningful and far from boring. Politics are present but not overwhelming, so is war. The fighting action is fascinating and I really enjoyed how Weeks slowly unfolds the mysterious magic in Midcyru, his really complete and grandiose world.

Totally worth a reading, or ten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly awesome; can't go wrong, Aug. 15 2010
C. Toth (Saskatchewan, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
I cannot remember everything that I read, but like all new stories (at least for me), the book had a slow start because you are dealing with new characters in a new world. And to be frank, I had zero-interest in assassins (or wetboys, who happen to be more than assassins and may be just as likely to kill you for calling them assassins).

But as I read the book, I began to enjoy the characters and that world. Plus there is (eventually) plenty of magic and monsters for you to enjoy (if you like to read that sort of stuff). The third book was the best of the three (at least for me).

I`m not going to give away the plot/story, but the story does begin with an 8-year old orphan boy (Azoth) living in the streets. He sees the legendary Durzo Blint, the city's most notorious wetboy, and begs to be apprenticed by him, seeing it as a way out of the streets (and so that he is strong enough never to be bullied). Durzo eventually accepts Azoth as his apprentice providing that he says goodbye to his former life and friends and providing that he kills another child (Rat, a 16-year old boy whom had been causing grief in Azoth's life)...

Things really picked up when Kylar (formerly Azoth) becomes an adult, which does not take very long when you consider the length of the entire trilogy.

I was looking for something new to read and these books were rated quite highly. I definitely was not disappointed and I am about to look for a 4th book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, March 8 2013
A. Soares - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this trilogy in my ongoing search for new fantasy authors to read. It was a fabulous read from start to finish. This book involved many complex characters such as the "Wetboy" (an assassin with magic skills) Durzo Blint, the child Azoth/Kylar who escapes the gutter by apprenticing himself to Durzo, his friends Jarl and Doll-Face, and wetboy in training Vi. These are only a few of the awesome characters in the book. This book's main characters include kings, lords, simple servants, magicians and criminals and seamlessly integrate their stories into a beautiful tapestry!

Pros:
Complex characters with good character development
Good world building with fascinating history (and lots of room to revisit with additional stories although perhaps not with Azoth as the main character as there isn't much room for additional growth)
Fast-paced, action filled plot
Vivid writing
Awesome magical objects and system

Cons:
I can't think of anything... maybe that it ended? I miss this world and the characters already!

Caveat: This book contains dark themes such as child molestation & prostitution, mutilation, etc. If this type of thing disturbs you, you may want to avoid this novel (though you would be missing out). Its not really a focus though (in my opinion) so much as a fact.

Sadly, I took this on vacation and had to leave it behind when I was over my weight limit on the way back. Otherwise, I would have loved to read it a second time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 15 2014
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
Onto book 2 of the Trilogy..am really enjoying the story..hope to see more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, Jan. 17 2014
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
If you like fantasy then this is a series that was really well written and a must read for those Winter nights.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good series, Sept. 26 2012
Sarah Wong (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
Not groundbreaking, sure, but it was entertaining and told a good story. I felt that the war arc in the last book was a tad overreaching with not enough time for detail in order to keep page count down, but otherwise was a very good series.

Weeks could still improve, but for a breakout author, I was pleasantly surprised.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, Aug. 10 2012
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
The story is a blast. I think I read the first book in one long session. The world is not as rich as lets say game of thrones, but it reads way easier. Plots are interesting. Overall a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An instant favourite of anyone I lend it to, July 19 2012
Gen - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
"Assassins have 'targets' because they sometimes miss; Wetboys have 'deaders' because they never miss."

I have read a lot of fantasy books, and these three were instantly added to my list of favourites (right up there with The Mistborn trilogy.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the best most original fantasy out there., July 2 2012
R. Johnson (Vancouver, B.C.) - See all my reviews
I'm a huge fantasy junky but I get tired of the same old thing. But I decided to pick up The Way of the Shadows when I was in a local book shop and loved the front cover cause I thought the character kinda looked like Altair from the Assassin's Creed video game by Ubisoft. What I got was a book that was nothing like Assassin's Creed nor any of the other High Fantasy cliche's that permeate the market.

The Night Angel Trilogy is some of the best storytelling to be had out there. I recommend it to everyone who will listen to me that even has a slight interest in fantasy. Although to be fair I wouldn't really call this traditional fantasy.

It is a dark but inspirational tale that makes you want to believe in yourself. I honestly don't think I've ever come across such engaging, emotionally involving characters. It may just be me to be fair but I don't think so. To see the high's in life we also have to know the low's and this book shows us both.

Yes there is swearing, and there are parts of the book that might make you cringe at the horrors of what the characters that you love are exposed to. But these are all things that happen in the real world and the story is richer for it.

I don't want to oversell this book but I also don't think I've done it justice. It's simply one of my favourite books/trilogies of all time.

But don't believe me. Here are the links to other websites with more reviews so you can get an idea of how good these books truly are.

Amazon.com (37 reviews when I post this)

Good Reads (2154 ratings and 142 reviews when I posted this)

[...]

Simply put this is a great ADULT read that I would recommend to anyone who's opinion I valued.

The Night Angel Trilogy
The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks (Paperback - Oct. 1 2009)
CDN$ 28.99 CDN$ 18.17