5.0 out of 5 stars Talented writer makes his debut
I just finished reading the entire Night Angel Trilogy. I couldn't put it down, ever. The books are fast paced but most action-packed chapters are interspersed with more informative, plot and character building, chapters. Brent Weeks found a fine balance between the two.

Published on May 22 2010 by J. Packer

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor
Ah. I like books. I like *good* books.

This is cliche after cliche. There is too much unnecessary sex talk (all the female characters seem to either be sex objects or nymphomaniacs). Yes, in any male-female interaction either the guy is horny, the gal thinks the guy is horny when he isn't, or some other sexualised something is going on. It's fine in its place...
Published on March 12 2011 by Dave

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Talented writer makes his debut, May 22 2010
J. Packer (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)

The series is about a guild rat, Azoth, turned assassin. Fate hands him an amazing object that as the series progresses offers more mysteries than answers. In the final, fast paced novel, Beyond the Shadows, everything is answered and I was left with a sense of satisfaction that I haven't felt since reading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Even though each book brings more mystery than the last they each have solid conclusions. Each of the first two books in the series left enough mystery to leave me yearning to read the next in the series but ended with a satisfactory conclusion.

The characters each have their own quirks and are very consistent in how they act and react. My favorite character was Durzo who often acts as comic relief and of whom most of the mystery in the series revolves around.

Overall, this was a very well written series with no inconsistencies which often plague new writers. I'm looking forward to Brent Weeks' next work, "The Black Prism". He has definitely proven himself as an author with this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Night Angel Trilogy, June 28 2010
S. Mills (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
I never read a book twice, because I have a great memory for the storylines - this entire trilogy I've read twice, it's going into my permanent book collection, and I expect to read the entire series again - for the 3rd time - this coming fall. I was hooked by the first page of the first book and could not pull myself away. I read while making and eating breakfast, I read at lunch time, I read at dinner time, I read in bed. I visited Weeks' website and all the fan-forums. OK, so I'm totally addicted.

This series is filled with the classic quest theme and classic and tragic heroes of all descriptions abound the pages. Characters are complex with an inner life and thought process that demonstrates Weeks ability to generate dynamic and full-fledged characters. My heart wanted to scoop Azoth, Doll Girl and Jarl out of the streets that they struggled to survive. As Azoth's apprenticeship to Durzo evolves, the relationship that starts out simply as master-apprentice - and a means of survival for Azoth - grows into much more for both characters and which culminates in the third book into mutual love and respect of an adult father-son relationship (no they are not related). Supporting characters are just as strong and intriguing.

You'll find these books are page-turners and the threads that go to create the fabulous tapestry of this story coloured by good, evil, hope, human struggle, faith, friendship, trust, personal sacrifice and belief that a better day will come.

Do yourself a favour and buy the trilogy. I bought the first book and then had to go back online three days later to get books two and three. I loaned the first book to a neighbour, who two days later was begging for the next in the series. We just had lunch today to discuss these books and Weeks' promise of a 4th book to come sometime in the future. How many times can you say that about a book?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Brent Weeks is now fighting with David Gemmell to be my favorite fantasy author., July 29 2013
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
This trilogy is dark, thrilling and exquisitely written. Character development is profound, meaningful and far from boring. Politics are present but not overwhelming, so is war. The fighting action is fascinating and I really enjoyed how Weeks slowly unfolds the mysterious magic in Midcyru, his really complete and grandiose world.

Totally worth a reading, or ten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the best most original fantasy out there., July 2 2012
R. Johnson (Vancouver, B.C.) - See all my reviews
I'm a huge fantasy junky but I get tired of the same old thing. But I decided to pick up The Way of the Shadows when I was in a local book shop and loved the front cover cause I thought the character kinda looked like Altair from the Assassin's Creed video game by Ubisoft. What I got was a book that was nothing like Assassin's Creed nor any of the other High Fantasy cliche's that permeate the market.

The Night Angel Trilogy is some of the best storytelling to be had out there. I recommend it to everyone who will listen to me that even has a slight interest in fantasy. Although to be fair I wouldn't really call this traditional fantasy.

It is a dark but inspirational tale that makes you want to believe in yourself. I honestly don't think I've ever come across such engaging, emotionally involving characters. It may just be me to be fair but I don't think so. To see the high's in life we also have to know the low's and this book shows us both.

Yes there is swearing, and there are parts of the book that might make you cringe at the horrors of what the characters that you love are exposed to. But these are all things that happen in the real world and the story is richer for it.

I don't want to oversell this book but I also don't think I've done it justice. It's simply one of my favourite books/trilogies of all time.

But don't believe me. Here are the links to other websites with more reviews so you can get an idea of how good these books truly are.

Amazon.com (37 reviews when I post this)

Good Reads (2154 ratings and 142 reviews when I posted this)

[...]

Simply put this is a great ADULT read that I would recommend to anyone who's opinion I valued.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great trilogy and maybe, just maybe, a future classic, Feb. 21 2011
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
Dark, dangerous, undoubtedly fun, frenetically paced and brought to life with a compelling first person narrative, the Night Angel Trilogy may not be the most original of fantasy stories, but its certainly one of the best of recent years.

The Story of Kylar Stern, a young orphan who ends up training to be an assassin (yes, it does sound a lot like the Farseer Trilogy) the Night Angel Trilogy is an excellent read that revolves around the life, love, laughter, occasional laudable actions and frequent mistakes of young Mr. Stern.

Although not quite as good as the Farseer Trilogy to which it owes so much, this is undoubtedly a very strong series, and one that maybe, just maybe, might one day hold the coveted title of classic.

If there's a downside (and there always is) it's a central character considerably less interesting than his support cast, some overly simplistic plotting and an ending that feels somewhat rushed. Nevertheless, it perhaps not as good as its advocates claim, this extremely approachable series is hard not to recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly awesome; can't go wrong, Aug. 15 2010
C. Toth (Saskatchewan, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
I cannot remember everything that I read, but like all new stories (at least for me), the book had a slow start because you are dealing with new characters in a new world. And to be frank, I had zero-interest in assassins (or wetboys, who happen to be more than assassins and may be just as likely to kill you for calling them assassins).

But as I read the book, I began to enjoy the characters and that world. Plus there is (eventually) plenty of magic and monsters for you to enjoy (if you like to read that sort of stuff). The third book was the best of the three (at least for me).

I`m not going to give away the plot/story, but the story does begin with an 8-year old orphan boy (Azoth) living in the streets. He sees the legendary Durzo Blint, the city's most notorious wetboy, and begs to be apprenticed by him, seeing it as a way out of the streets (and so that he is strong enough never to be bullied). Durzo eventually accepts Azoth as his apprentice providing that he says goodbye to his former life and friends and providing that he kills another child (Rat, a 16-year old boy whom had been causing grief in Azoth's life)...

Things really picked up when Kylar (formerly Azoth) becomes an adult, which does not take very long when you consider the length of the entire trilogy.

I was looking for something new to read and these books were rated quite highly. I definitely was not disappointed and I am about to look for a 4th book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Night Angel Trilogy, Oct. 21 2011
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
I bought this series after hearing from a friend that it was well written. I am quite a picky person when it comes to literature that I enjoy reading - and I must say, I'm quite impressed.

This series has just enough action to keep me going, and it doesn't slow down for too long before picking back up again. This series has unforgettable characters - all of which made me think differently of them numerous times. There are twists in the story line, and as a reader I never got bored.

My only problem with this series is the fact that there are no more novels involved. I can't wait to read Black Prism by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, fun, dark and keeps you wanting more!, March 7 2011
ryanb (vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
What a great read! From start to finish the momentum at which I read increased through out each book. Like an insatiable hunger I needed to feed upon this dark, exciting and graphic story.

I picked up the first book by chance, out of a moment of boredom (the cover art drew me in!)and after reading the first 80 pages I knew i had to read all the books. I gave the first book to a friend then went out and bought the trilogy. I didnt think twice about having to pay for the first book twice.. truly worth it!

I cant wait for Brent Weeks to come back to these characters and spin another wondrously visceral tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series!, Jan. 5 2011
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
Loved the book, it was a very interesting twist on the genre and a unique look into the development of a hero (anti-hero?) Kylar is a memorable character and many of the books characters have a strong impact. The series was better and better as it went on, and the conclusion was both believable and entertaining.

I have also given it to my wife to read (who also loved it) and her sister received it for Christmas and read the whole series in under 2 weeks because it was so good.

Definitely a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, Jan. 11 2011
This review is from: The Night Angel Trilogy (Paperback)
The Night Angel Trilogy kept me reading late at night. Packed with strong characters, action, plotting, friendship and love. Unexpected turns after turns the story line never lets you down even if the events themselves are not unheard of in Fantasy literature. Brent Weeks' world is not as rich as George R.R. Martin's or Steven Erikson, but Night Angel will give you a darned good read. I wholeheartedly recommend it to every fantasy or action packed lover.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Night Angel Trilogy
The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks (Paperback - Oct. 1 2009)
CDN$ 29.00 CDN$ 18.18