5.0 out of 5 stars A Male's Perspective
Straight away, let me mention that I also read The Lovely Bones; my opinion of that book was that it was contrived; after the first 60 pages it didn't really work for me.
Published on June 28 2005 by Brian Jorgensen

3.0 out of 5 stars Lucky
I enjoyed reading Lucky, I found it very interesting to see what Alice had to go through after the rape and how brave it had made her.
I thought the first couple chapters were really interesting,and I wanted to keep reading. As the novel continued it seemed like everything was drawn out, and I could predict what was going to happen next.
Overall I enjoyed the...
Published on May 18 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars A Male's Perspective, June 28 2005
This review is from: Lucky: A Memoir (Paperback)
Now this book: Very Impressive! This is a tough story to tell and the author did a great job. The voice is authentic and the details make it real, and I learned alot: i.e. how men accused of rape usually beat the rap. (I didn't know this; thought in fact the opposite was true!) Hang on through the entire book. The beginning is violent and intense -- and you may want to turn away or put it down -- don't! Keep reading. You heart will go out to this young woman, as my heart did. Keep reading, even through the later sections, the trial which, for me, was toughest part because it almost reads like a court transcription.
Now the kicker. Right when you think the book is over and you think the protagonist (or the author) is a "winner" -- pow! -- flashforward to the East Village years later. Here you'll see how although she managed to convict her rapist, she hasn't managed to put the entire event behind her. This is not a Hollywood ending. The protagonist/author experiences an aftershock of fear and self-loathing that she is unable to control, that pursues her even into another city, even years later; she can't seem to escape it. This epilogue is what really made me love this book. Life goes on, yes -- but misfortune sometimes takes a huge chunk of our spirit. And yet you must still go on! This book is a tribute to a true survivor, a book about real life; it now has a permanent place in my library. I recommend it strongly for those of you not afraid of entering the darkness, even for a moment; sometimes you need to enter the darkness in order to appreciate the light. I feel as if this book will stay with me a long time -- now that's great art! Along with this memoir, another book I'd like to recommend -- a much lighter, funnier book ('cause we all need to laugh too, my God) -- is The Losers' Club: Complete Restored Edition by Richard Perez. Quite sweet and haunting, too; a comedy with a soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRIUMPH OVER TRAGEDY, Oct. 10 2002
This review is from: Lucky: A Memoir (Paperback)
Like her wonderful novel The Lovely Bones - which I've also reviewed and which you must read - Lucky is a harrowing, heart-wrenching book about the worst possible thing that can happen to a woman. Alice Sebold tells the raw story of her rape ordeal and her subsequent struggle for recovery with an honesty and warmth which is compelling. Lucky reads almost like a novel itself at times, with gripping moments of suspense, particularly during the court trial scenes.
Alice Sebold was the innocent victim of an unforgivable crime - but she doesn't ask for our sympathy or pity in these beautifully written pages. She earns our respect and admiration for the courageous way she tells how the traumatic events changed and shaped her life; how the naive college student would eventually become a hardened, determined aggressor herself in her brave fight for justice against her attacker. Sadly, this natural reaction to her personal violation came with a price - destructive behavioural damage that brought a later downward spiral into drugs. What the author didn't know at the time is that she was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder; an anxiety syndrome that emerges following a psychologically distressing traumatic event such as rape, which she battles to overcome.
Can someone really, truly, get over something so savage and brutal as rape is the numbing thought you're left with long after you put the book aside? The past can never be forgotten, but Alice Sebold has managed to crawl from the wreckage and move on with her life to a happier future that has brought her international fame and acclaim. That says something about the human spirit - and everything about this remarkable woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars physically and mentally abused, Nov. 4 2004
This review is from: Lucky: A Memoir (Paperback)
The Truth shall set you free in this tell all honest look into the life in a terrible enviroment, the enviroment inside of a mind that has been physically and mentally abused.. The book delves into the pain that she had to live through similar to that of the reality based/courageous 'NIGHTMARES ECHO',has poignant,at times a bit of humor like that of 'RUNNING WITH SCISSORS', and a bit sorrowful like that of 'BEAUTY FOR ASHES'. No matter what comparrison you make....'Lucky' is an exceptional look at abuse..........and as I have seen from the prior books I have read, abuse comes in many forms and scars what it touches!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved, March 20 2007
Agrippa (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucky: A Memoir (Paperback)
It's rare to come across a book that I like as much as this one. Well, liked is probably not the right word since there are passages that deeply disturb, but then, that's what great literature does, I suppose.

The writing, the voice, is crystal clear, and this is one of the things that I enjoyed best about this insightful yet sometimes hard to take yarn. LUCKY will undoubtedly shock many--as it should. After all, it is about rape. As in her LOVELY BONES, Seabold pulls no punches, yet the work is not over the top, rather it is well crafted with pacing that allows the reader to take in what she has to say without being overwhelmed emotionally. Sebold describes for us, in great detail, the trial, the aftermath, and the emotional devestation she feels. This is no small book emotionally, the same way some other great reads are, and it takes someone with fortitude to get through it, especially if you're a woman. I would also recommend another great read that I recently came across titled "Bark of the Dogwood" for those interested in reading about individuals overcoming adversity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard To Put Down, Feb. 11 2005
This review is from: Lucky: A Memoir (Paperback)
Through a devastating rape and the ordeal to follow comes a courageous read from a fantastic author. Alice Seabold, best known for her novel, "Lovely Bones" has served us well with this telling memoir of painful emotions and difficult occurances that led her to the point of coming full circle.
As of late, I have been in bed rest due to a broken knee and have had the pleasure of reading some of the most riveting books I could have only imagined.
"Lucky" is one of thos books as well as Nightmares Echo, A Paper Life and Running With Scissors. Each are courageous reads with powerful healing journeys.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Book, A Real Story, Nov. 24 2004
This review is from: Lucky: A Memoir (Paperback)
"Lucky" is one of those books that get under your skin, both emotionally and physically. I was drawn to it, both from the aspect of what the author went through, the ordeal that played again and again in her mind. But, I was also drawn in by the courage of this wonderful author. She gives us her soul in the words of this book. Tells us her life, which could not have been easy, but will in the end lend inspiration to others.
I would have to say "Lucky" is as great a book as that of "Nightmares Echo" by Katlyn Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars A Male's Perspective, March 5 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky to have found it, March 3 2005
This review is from: Lucky: A Memoir (Paperback)
I was inspired to read Lucky after being dazzled by the author's bestseller, THE LOVELY BONES. I'm glad I did. Alice is a gifted writer. Her keen self-awareness and ability to project her inner voice into written words is breathtaking. Alice has blessed the world by sharing the details of her rape and subsequent journey. I'm tempted to share my favorite parts of the book, but it would probably be a spoiler. Lucky is a harrowing, heart-wrenching book about the worst possible thing that can happen to a woman. Alice Sebold tells the raw story of her rape ordeal and her subsequent struggle for recovery with an honesty and warmth which is compelling. Lucky reads almost like a novel itself at times, with gripping moments of suspense, particularly during the court trial scenes. Also recommended, but not for the faint-of-heart, THE CHILDREN'S CORNER by Jackson McCrae.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Lucky, Dec 30 2004
This review is from: Lucky: A Memoir (Paperback)
There are several books out there at the moment that tell the truth without sensationalising what really happens during any time of abuse to a child/teen. Rape is a form of abuse, no less than child abuse,incest,or molestation. This book, LUCKY, and then NIGHMARES ECHO and A CHILD CALLED IT. If you have a chance to read the three books you will come away with the understanding of the mind of the victim and the difficulty in overcoming what is put upon thier shoulders. More than that, you realize just how fragile a childs life is and yet they have more courage and determination to survive than many of the people I know that have never dealt with a terrible past. I belive this book stands out, it is extrememly well done without going overboard. The emotions are strong. Extremely good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal., Aug. 28 2004
This review is from: Lucky: A Memoir (Paperback)
Lucky is an amazing. I could not put it down. Even though I had exams to study for, I stayed up through the whole night reading until the very last page.

ARRAY(0xb8e00a80)

Lucky: A Memoir
Lucky: A Memoir by Alice Sebold (Paperback - Sept. 16 2002)
CDN$ 14.50 CDN$ 10.47