5.0 out of 5 stars Hold Me Tight
Published on Sept. 9 2011 by Darsu

2.0 out of 5 stars CD-MP3 WON'T PLAY IN MOST CD PLAYERS
The book itself and its content is great but this version will not play in most CD players, car CD players, etc- NOT user friendly format - difficult to get from chapter - to - chapter ... not happy at all with this purchase -- save the trouble and buy the book!
Published 15 months ago by Julie Haines

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold Me Tight, Sept. 9 2011
This review is from: Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love (Hardcover)
I highly recommend this book for anyone who is in a relationship, has just come out of one or who is contemplating getting into one. In other words, for everyone over the age of 12. The great strength of this book is that it delivers the goods in the first 62 pages. It then goes on to give real life experiences and practical techniques for couples to work on. It should be made part of High School curriculum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold me Tight - Review, May 11 2011
Bradley Foster (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
Hold Me Tight is the best book I have ever read on couples therapy because unlike a lot of other books, it makes sense and it works. Sue Johnson is an Ottawa-based professor and relationship therapist who noticed that traditional therapies often didn't work. Instead of persevering with the old ways or blaming herself, she went back to the drawing board and came up with a new model.

When I was studying therapy I remember my teachers telling me that couples therapy was by far the most challenging kind of therapy'not for the faint of heart. Of course it'll never be a cakewalk, but I think Sue Johnson has revolutionized the field by articulating clear and definite steps to healing broken relationships.

Johnson went back to the books and revisited Attachment Theory, pioneered by John Bowlby in the 1940's. Most therapists assumed his theory was peculiar to parents and children since that's what his studies were based on. Johnson's stroke of genius was to realize that Bowlby's theory underpins all relationships. Understanding relationships from a new angle gave Johnson a valuable and useful way of understanding how they function and how they break down.

Being on the clinical side gave Johnson the tools to articulate a theory and a way to test it. Also being a therapist she took her theory into the field and tested it on real couples having real attachment problems. Before long Johnson understood the hidden language behind disputes and began to teach couples how to have conversations with one another.

The result is this fine book that is part theory, part teaching tool and part self help book. Anyone can read it and get a very good idea of how to improve their relationship or teach couples how to talk to one another in a way that heals instead of inflames. Hold Me Tight is nicely organized around seven types of conversations that couples can have that will build trust and attachment between them. Couples can use this book as a guide to learn how to talk to one another and by mastering the steps. Beyond couples, parents and children and friends will find knowing how to have these conversations useful to maintaining the health of their relationships.

If you prefer to learn Hold Me Tight conversations experientially, Sue Johnson teaches her methodology to therapists and certifies them. There are now hundreds of therapists in North America who are trained to help couples learn how to talk and listen to each other. You can find a certified therapist or a training program near you at Hold Met Tight. I learned a lot from this book that I will put into practice with all my relationships. This is a book that everyone will benefit from reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where was this 13 years ago?, Dec 21 2012
From a stale marriage to one where we are both working at being in love again. This should be required reading for anyone married. Makes you realize how precious and important marriage is and how you have to fight to keep it alive and vibrant!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing book!, Aug. 5 2008
Yolanda Von Hockauf (Vancouver, British Columbia) - See all my reviews
This is the most cutting edge, relevant book for couples I have ever seen on the market! Not only is it backed by numerous research studies, it is also an extremely interesting read. You can apply it immediately to your relationship and start to feel closer to your partner. Find out what your relationship dance looks like!

4.0 out of 5 stars More Bookish Thoughts..., Sept. 1 2012
Reader Writer Runner (Victoria, BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
In "Hold Me Tight," Susan Johnson asserts that accessibility, responsiveness and engagement in the emotional bond provide the keys to a couple's happiness and satisfaction. She uses attachment theory to explain how partners love and why they fight and she demonstrates the human desire for connection: we constantly seek it, we thrive when we have it, we suffer when we don't, we fight for it when it's threatened and we grieve when it is gone.

Drawing on years of clinical research, Johnson presents a program of discovery and growth to help couples develop stronger bonds. Through her seven conversations, she untangles vicious cycles of interaction, explores underlying emotions and creates new strategies for dialogue. Although it may not contain the most recent research on relationships, "Hold Me Tight" provides intelligent and insightful advice to help couples tackle their core issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for singles too!, June 4 2012
A friend referred me to this book. Even though I am currently not in a realtionship, I wanted to do some self reflecting on what happens in my realtionships, and how to make future ones more succesful. This book open my eyes to the self defeating cycle I was in, and reassured my strong desire to be loved was normal, not crazy lol Recommend this book to any one wanting better realtionships!

4.0 out of 5 stars Relationship help..., July 20 2009
Ever feel like you're wandering through your relationships lost? Not quite sure of how to make a relationship work, to make that real connection with the other person? This book provided a look at how emotions play a vital role in our relationships and how we need to acknowledge our emotions and use them to help create that "safe haven" for our partner. We're all vulnerable and we need to feel safe with our partner. This grounds us and let's us focus on what's important. This book provides that insight and gives you an understanding and exercises to work through to help start to create that connection.

5.0 out of 5 stars #1 book for relationships!, April 12 2013
Dr. Sue Johnson has hit the nail on the head when if comes to understanding the dynamics of relationships. Adult attachment fears and needs are the cause of all our problems and she teaches us how to navigate accepting and communicating our feelings excellent book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye Opening!, March 6 2013
I found this book very helpful in teaching one how to look at a conflict between loved ones from a different point of view. I learned to see not only how I was truely feeling but how my partner was feeling too. It saved our marriage!

5.0 out of 5 stars You must take this chance, July 21 2011
mabel (pte claire, quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
Hands down the best relationship book I have ever read. A paradigm changer--it felt intuitively right from the first chapter, yet I also see the world in a different way. It took the core values I held about life, and showed me how to really live them better. Of course, starting with the relationships closest to me.

There are no complicated rules here, what you need to do doesn't feel like an overwhelming amount of work, and what Johnson says makes so much sense it's not hard to remember. By chapter four you'll have a good idea of some things you can do and STOP doing, without even having started the "seven conversations."

Johnson's methods are based on 25 years of clinical research, and have a 75% success rate. So at least ask yourself this: What have you got to lose? It's not a long book, the science is super interesting, and many of the stories are touching.

And don't be fooled by the frouffy title, it's not a frouffy book. ;-) Johnson's a scientist, not a writer, so the writing might veer into the self-helpy; or her retelling of the couple's conversations sound fake at times (people always "giggle" when I'm sure in real life they just laughed). But the science she talks about is serious stuff, and the ideas are deep, so I never felt I was being frouffed-over.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love by Sue Johnson (Hardcover - April 8 2008)
CDN$ 29.00 CDN$ 18.18