5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read!
I thoroughly enjoyed this story, couldn't put it down and when I did, I couldn't wait to get back to it. I cared about the characters and their lives. Will read it again down the road I'm sure!
Published 2 months ago by Spin Junkie

2.0 out of 5 stars Overhyped and poorly written
Published on Jan. 18 2012 by PV

2.0 out of 5 stars Overhyped and poorly written, Jan. 18 2012
This review is from: The Art of Fielding: A Novel (Hardcover)
Never trust the blurbs on a book's dust jacket, that's my take-away after reading The Art of Fielding. The characters in this book are extremely cliched and two-dimensional and as a result, I couldn't care less what happens to them in the book. The plot is both unrealistic but also predictable and cliched. The dialogue....wow.....NOBODY in college talks like this. One character, Rick O'Shea, says "bleepity bleep bleep" instead of swearing and freshmen are referred to as "freshpersons" throughout the book and it gets very grating. Everything about the book is grating. I really don't understand how this one received almost unanimous critical acclaim

2.0 out of 5 stars didn't like it, April 23 2014
Diane M. Schuller "bythesea" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Had to read this for our book club. I disliked nearly everything about the book. There was no central storyline. There were 5 protagonists instead of one or two, poorly written (he jumps all over the place and there were numerous superfluous segments throughout). Definitely not recommended. I will never read another book by this person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read!, June 6 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars baseball at its best, Jan. 25 2014
Brad Micklea (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is so much more than "about baseball," but it also raises baseball to a level that I've never considered before. I hope it's not long for his next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plus que du Baseball/More Than Baseball, July 29 2012
Philoduc "royeraphilo" (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
Pas besoin d'être un amateur de sport pour apprécier ce roman. L'auteur propose des personnages diversifiés qui soulèvent des thématiques variées (sexualité, paternité, monomanie, etc.). L'intrigue est soutenue tout au long du roman avec quelques points culminants plutôt efficaces.

No need to be a sports fan to appreciate this novel. The author offers diverse characters that raise various themes (sexuality, fatherhood, monomania, etc.). The variety of narrative points of view on events makes the plot steady throughout the novel with some rather effective climaxes.

4.0 out of 5 stars A hit!, Dec 24 2011
Vlad Thelad (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Art of Fielding: A Novel (Hardcover)
There are very good reasons to find The Art of Fielding a most endearing read, and quite a remarkable first novel. For any knowledgeable baseball fan the conflation of many great shortstops in the tangential, yet relevant, character of Aparicio Rodriguez, as well as the paragraphs describing the choreographies of the middle infield, fully justify giving The Art a chance. For American-lit fans, finding the references, explicit and veiled, to Melville and Moby Dick, also makes the book worth reading. Being more of a baseball fan than a Moby Dick one, I confess to enjoying it on both counts. This is a very recommendable book. As for being "the best of 2011," I humbly disagree with the New York Times.

3.0 out of 5 stars I had a review prepared..., Jan. 17 2012
Schmadrian - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Really, I did.

I posted it on my private blog.

And then I read this review: 'I Call Foul on This Overhyped Book', October 13, 2011 By Michele Kingery

And for the first time ever, I felt embarrassed to publish a review.

So I haven't.

Go read hers. She said everything I should have/could have said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots to like, Aug. 27 2013
A very good baseball novel with lots of characters that I cared about. The story starts really well with the discovery of a baseball prodigy and is propelled by this momentum into the middle of the book. I found it slowed about two thirds of the way through but attained a reasonable conclusion. Overall very entertaining and easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, May 20 2013
I thought this was a very readable, interesting story with some nice plot twists and a pleasant way to start the baseball season.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Fielding, Oct. 27 2011
Dr Eric A Saibil (North York, Ontario, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Fielding: A Novel (Hardcover)
My wife asked me to buy this book for her. I tried to read it but couldn't understand it. My wife says that's because I'm a man. She is looking forward to reading it.

The Art of Fielding: A Novel
The Art of Fielding: A Novel by Chad Harbach (Hardcover - Sept. 7 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.99