5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!! Definitely a must read.
Very good - I like how it ties up loose ends!! Really liked her - too bad Bree couldn't have been saved!
Published 4 months ago by chris klatecki

1.0 out of 5 stars Very short "Second Life
Honestly? I don't even remember who the heck Bree Tanner is. But apparently she was a very minor character in Stephenie Meyer's third Twilight novel, "Eclipse."

Published on June 6 2010 by E. A Solinas

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!! Definitely a must read., April 20 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Very short "Second Life, June 6 2010
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (Hardcover)

And as a writing exercise of some sort, Meyer decided to write a novella centering upon the last days of a character that nobody really cares about. There's a good idea behind it, but the story itself feels thin and padded -- and Bree is not exactly a interesting character.

Bree Tanner is only three months into her "second life." She's also part of a gang of teen malcontents, thugs and runaways that Riley is collecting from Seattle, who are learning the ropes of being vampires. However, she doesn't know much about the true (SPARKLY) vampiric nature, or what Riley has in mind for them.

Since it would be boring to read just about "baby vampire mayhem," Bree and her friend Diego soon realize that there's a lot that Riley isn't telling them -- especially when they overhear Riley and a female cohort talking about their plans for the newborn vampires. And finally, Riley reveals the reason he's creating a newborn army -- to crush his enemies, aka the Cullens.

Let's be frank: "The Brief Second Life of Bree Tanner" is an extremely short book (both in plot and in pages), and feels like it was whipped up to cash in on the "Eclipse" movie. As Meyer's works go, it's a fairly decent story with some interesting scenes -- such as Diego and Bree examining their sparkly diamond vampire bodies in the cave.

Unfortunately, it's STILL not very good. It feels like Meyers had a good core idea, but rushed through writing it without fully fleshing out the story. The novella is padded with rambling conversations, brawls, and Bree and Diego skulking around eavesdropping, as well as some of the worst street-kid dialogue I've ever read ("Super-secret ninja club sounds way cooler than the whole BFF thing").

And what's more, she also avoids tackling the ugly, all-too-realistic subject of a cruel person recruiting lost teenagers -- a wonderfully chilling concept that isn't even explored.

But what makes this novella REALLY unnecessary? Bree. At the end, we don't know much more about her than we did before -- Meyer deliberately avoids revealing anything about her past, her family, her life, how she ended up a street kid, and why she chose to become a vampire. She's a complete blank, and she doesn't become much more interesting as the book goes on.

"The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner" has an interesting idea behind it, but the thin storyline and 2-D protagonist makes it seem like Meyer just rushed through it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was hoping for!!, June 5 2010
I was going to wait and just read this story online, but since I love the other 4 books so much I thought I'd probably want to have it for my collection of books anyway. I knew this was going to be sad before reading, seeing as we all know how it turns out for Bree. Typical of Stephanie Meyer, this book being no exception - I couldn't put it down from start to finish. Really not to hard I guess seeing as it was only 178 pages. Learning about Bree and her story was so interesting, it really made you get a feel for how the newborns felt and how they were used by Victoria and Riley! The Cullen's of course make an appearance later on and they have the same affect on Bree (though very short lived. no pun intended.) as they do on everyone else! If you love the twilight series, you will want to read this book! The writing style is exactly the same as the other books, it's like you're reading another part right out of Eclipse. It was Fabulous... but you do leave this book feeling sad!

5.0 out of 5 stars totally AWESOME, July 30 2010
I loved this story - I found it to be a bit short - but then it IS a NOVELLA not a NOVEL so I guesss it's ok that it is a bit short. - I really liked reading about the newborn fight from the perspective of a newborn - and how she finds out what her job is - why she was created, that kinda thing - I also liked reading about her finding out about talents that some vampires have - and how she was feeling while the others (the Cullens and Voltori) decide her fate. This book is really worth buying if you are a fan of the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars more expectations..., June 27 2010
Phenix (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have loved so much the 4 books of Twilight saga, this one seems superficial even if we found in it the autor's style. The Bree's life haven't been enough developed and rich, as if the author had handed the book too early. Also, I would have liked more developments on Fred character because he owns a new gift and in spite of the new case about the Volturi, in the saga, we have no reference on it, so new fact without any development; that causes a feeling of emptiness. Don't hesitate to read this novel for those who are nostalgic of the saga but keep simple expectations.

4.0 out of 5 stars The short review for The Short Second Life ..., Nov. 21 2010
Chris (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Early on, enjoying the book, I thought, "She should have made this longer!" But then I changed my mind. The story and the writing (Meyer really has improved since "Twilight") was fine without having to add filler pages. My favourite scene involved Riley and company pirating the ship and with Bree narrating, I hoped for a different ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter Loved It!, Aug. 30 2010
My daughter was very happy with her new book. She is really into vampires right now and has already read the Twilight series so this was a bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars A short but good read, July 29 2010
I loved this book! I'm a Twi-hard, so it was a given, but I really liked getting a glimpse into the world of a "normal" newborn. I loved Bree, and even knowing from the get-go that she was going to die, I was still totally sad at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, July 28 2010
There are a lot of bad reviews for this book, which I found surprising.

Yes it is a short read and seems a little rushed, but what you learn from a new born's perspective and the new life they were brought into with the extreme violence kind of explains the hesitation in turning Bella and the deceit to the Cullens.

I read this book after watching the movie and yes she does stand out. It was sad to know what would happen at the end, but it was an after thought book I think and you could tell that there could be a second one short coming.

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Not A Must Read For Twilight Fans, July 20 2010
I'm a big fan of author Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga and devoured all four books in that series with distinct pleasure, raving about them to those who would listen. When I heard that Meyer had released an Eclipse novella called The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, I knew I wanted to read it. While the Twilight Saga is definitely a literary phenomenon, this short story about the minor character of newborn vampire Bree Tanner, seems superfluous at best. I barely remembered Bree from Eclipse and probably would have forgotten her altogether if I hadn't just seen the movie Eclipse a couple of weeks ago. I suspect that it's no coincidence that Bree's novella was released last month, just before the theatrical release of Eclipse, particularly since Meyer allowed director David Slade and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg and a few of the actors to read a draft of the novella during the production of the movie.

I read The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner in one sitting and while I enjoyed the story and thought it was fun to take a closer look at this character as well as the characters of Riley, Diego and Freaky Fred, I don't feel that it's a must read for Twilight fans. They won't gain much insight into the series by reading this novella and this is not a romantic novel by any stretch of the imagination.

In The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner we are privy to Bree's experience as a newborn and the suspense that builds amongst all of Victoria's secret newborn army as they prepare to attack Bella Swan and the Cullens. Victoria, herself, is alluded to in this novella but only mentioned by name once and the Volturi have only a shadowy presence as well. We know 15-year-old Bree's fate at the beginning of the book, so there are absolutely no surprises within it.

"As part of the larger publishing release, one dollar from each physical book sold will be donated to the American Red Cross," so that may be reason enough to buy it, and at a retail price of CDN$16.99, it's affordable. However, if you're a Twilight fan who is pinching her pennies, don't bother with the Bree Tanner novella because you're not missing out on much.

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer (Hardcover - June 5 2010)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.26