Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
Like The Tipping Point, Blink has a very simple point which it elaborates from a variety of perspectives. In this case, the point is that our subconscious mind can integrate small, subtle clues to very quickly make great decisions . . . as long as we have been trained to know what clues to focus on.

In developing that simple idea, Mr. Gladwell makes the case for "going with your gut" in many instances . . . especially when time is of the essence (such as during emergencies and in combat). He also rescues analysis to show how analysis can train people to know what to look for so they can use their instincts more effectively.

But instincts have a downside. Based on conditioning, we make associations that are harmful to ourselves and to others. He recounts how an innocent man became a victim of under trained, over stimulated police officers and how even African-Americans display prejudice against African-Americans.

Most of the book is devoted to looking at prejudice and how to overcome it. For those who are interested in that subject, this book will be much more interesting than for those who want to understand how to improve their decision-making.

I thought that the book failed to reach the average mark as a book about how to improve decision-making. There's no real guidance for what we can each do to improve our important decisions. We are just left with hope that we can do better. I graded the book up a bit because I liked the insights into racism.

I thought the material on branded products was much too long and didn't add anything to what I knew already.

Mr. Gladwell writes well, though, so it's mostly a pleasant trip in the book. He makes science more interesting, but leaves a bit too much of the science out to make the results satisfying. He's writing for a dumbed-down audience with science backgrounds at the 8th grade level.

The book's opening made me feel like I was really going to learn something. As the book continued, I found myself disappointed compared to the high expectations that the opening set for learning better decision-making practices. As a result, all I got from the book was to pay attention to external clues and my own physiological cues as I react to a situation. I already do that, so I felt that the book didn't really deliver a solid benefit to me beyond teaching me a few new stories about decision makers.
on October 7, 2005
I am glad I didn't buy this book. I heard reviews, I even caught part of a reading that the author did for a Toronto area event, and all the wonderful things that he talked about were very intriguing. But, my library already had a copy, so I read it. The momentous examples of split decision occurences were enticing but the promise of revelationary explanation for the sociology behind the burned pathways of our psyche is left unfulfilled. Not once was I satisfied with the why of the decision offered by the author. No insight offered, no learned opinion nor alterior reference for an interested party to turn to in order to better understand the anthropology of our patterned lives.
on September 19, 2014
I started reading this book, but got bored, so I started to read the The Alchemist. I will finish it eventually, but it feels like I am reading a textbook with mini stories.
on December 30, 2014
A bit of a stretch on some topics but a general enlightening read.
on January 17, 2010
"Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking" - The title had turned me off the book (too cutesy) for a long time, but I was pleasantly surprised once I ventured past the cover. It's basically about intuition/insight/different ways of arriving at conclusions, how it works, when it works, etc. Deals with conscious and unconscious ways of processing info, and how we toggle back and forth between the two. He describes the unconscious as being like a computer hard drive that is able to process much more (and different kinds of) info than our conscious minds can manage. If we try to think or analyze too much, we can actually lose insight. Sometimes less is more.

I would have liked more in-depth/scholarly coverage of the topic(s). Malcolm Gladwell is a journalist with no expertise (other than what his research has provided) in the things he is writing about. I think this lack is evident in the way some areas of the book were covered thinly and others seemed padded. Someone more knowledgeable would have been able to address the topics/areas in a more succinct and equitable manner, making for a more rewarding and seamless reading experience. What Gladwell has accomplished is that he has introduced some interesting and potentially useful concepts to the masses in a simplistic way. He has intrigued me enough to make me want to read more extensively on these topics by other authors. For this alone, I have given the book three stars.

Do I think this book will stand the test of time? - no
Do I think this book is well written? - no
Will I read it again? - no
Am I glad I read it? - yes
on November 5, 2014
Good book
on January 16, 2009
This book says that sometimes people make good decisions, sometimes bad upon first impression. It gives examples. Little attempt is made to show us how to make the good decisions instead of the bad ones. It says that sometimes deliberate choices, sometimes spontaneous choices are better. In other words, it's common sense. I found the subtitle to be misleading. I was expecting more of an explanation exactly just how to use that "power of thinking without thinking".
on July 9, 2007
I read Michael R. LeGault's book 'Think' before I read this book, so was confused by the title, though now see the relationship. I could hardly flaw Michael's analysis of the thought process, as opposed to 'Blink' by Malcolm Gladwell. As a critical thinker, I think the art is under-appreciated...and the fact that this book was a best seller only highlights the fact that people have no skill in the art. So to society I say, buy this deserve Malcolm. For anyone of higher intellect, I still think its worth reading if you possess the skills of critical much as I dont like bad thinkers being rewarded, you can learn from his anecdotes.