5.0 out of 5 stars A great story with great lessons

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story with great lessons, Feb. 14 2012
D Glover (northern bc, canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Saint George and the Dragon (Paperback)
Reading books to children is an endangered activity in our present culture. The books that publishers are still printing for children seem more and more to be competing with movies, video games and noisy toys for market share (books with flaps, buttons, touchy-feely patches, sounds, hologram pictures, and books that are just a repackaging of some still shots from the latest animated movie). Many children's books have gone the way of most Hollywood movies, using big special effects and eye candy to make money rather than trusting to story and characters to draw in the hearts and minds of the audience. So in a world like ours at a time like this, it is refreshing to come across a story like this. This is a solid retelling of the classic tale of valiant St. George of England battling an evil dragon to save a princess and her kingdom from fear and destruction. Of course the fight is fierce (boys love that part) but George triumphs and wins the hand of the princess (girls love that part).

As with all good stories, this one appeals on multiple levels. The youngest children will be captivated by the detailed and rich illustrations and artwork on every page. Kids of all ages (and their parents) will be engaged by the story and characters themselves taken at face value. This story lends itself to teaching children the virtues of courage, perseverance, self-sacrifice, generosity and keeping your word. And, as with the original tale, there is the Christian symbolism present but not overdone (no where does the author come out and connect the dots for the reader). We have a lot of good books in our home but this is one our 3, 5 and 7 year olds all regularly pull out and ask us to "read it again".

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, Dec 7 2013
This review is from: Saint George and the Dragon (Paperback)
Story is good and simple for kids, but I need to highlight the quality of the graphics! A must for all children, far better than senseless stories...

3.0 out of 5 stars Illustrations better than story, Sept. 27 2011
I bought this book thinking it was a hardcover but what I received is a paperback rebounded. This is a library binding and should be corrected in the Amazon description. The cover has no dust jacket and has a facsimile printing on the front which is quite fuzzy. I saw the many good reviews of this book and thought I might enjoy it but I was underwhelmed. The illustrations are nice but not nice enough to overlook the bad story. I felt nothing for any of the characters and there is no moral to this children's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars son loves it, June 28 2011
S. Jager - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saint George and the Dragon (Paperback)
My son (who was 6 when I originally purchased it and is now 7) adores this book.
The story is ideal for children still in the veil. If you understand this term, then you know what I mean. The pictures are engaging, the story seemingly "just right" - no need for too much drama, as their innocence is still there (or often, at this time in life the yearning to keep what they had as a "little kid" {their innocence} is there and will dive into a simpler story that feeds the soul). In saying that, this time in their lives they need more, they need the story to supply some of the answers along with the dilemma - they don't always want to look to us at this time in their life; they need - deeply - to find their own way and what better way to begin than with story?
If we present the story in a magical way (even memorizing some of it so we can look them in the eyes during the story), it will not matter if it doesn't do anything for the adult reading it - it's not supposed to feed our soul (we've had our time), it's for theirs.
Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Introduction to the Genre, July 12 2004
Trent Dougherty "Socratic" (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saint George and the Dragon (Paperback)
Adapted from Spenser's Faerie Queene, this is a highly literate children's tale. We meet the Red Cross Knight as he is heading into his first adventure. Princess Una has sought him as champion for her parents in fighting the usual terrorizing dragon. The plot is the usual one: boy meets girl, girl tells boy how royal parents are being terrorized by a dragon. Boy slays dragon, marries princess. Though this story does not stray from the formula, it is realized in a very fine fashion and richly illustrated. Each of some dozen pairs of facing pages has fantastic illustrations on one side with a few paragraphs of text on the other. The illustrations are among the best I've seen, they rank together with Child of Faerie Child of Earth and Fairy Wings. Each illustrated page is nicely framed and usually filled with thematic marginal drawings, which is a very nice touch.
I think this is probably the most literate children's book I've read. The first line of most pages always includes some brief alliteration, beginning with the opening lines.
>In the days when monsters and giants and fairy folk lifvind in England, a noble knight was riding across a plain.
>The dreadful dragon was the cause of her sorrow.
>After many days the path became thorny and led up to a steep hillside, where a good old hermit lived in a little house by himself.
>It is time for me to tell you that you were not born of fairy folk, but of English earth.
>Then they heard a hideous roaring that filled the air with terror and seemed to shake the ground.
>The knight brandished his bright blade, and it seemed sharper than ever, his hands even stronger.
There is just enough to create the effect without going overboard. Sometimes, at key points, the alliteration is stepped up to alert the reader to pay attention.
>In his tail's end, two sharp stings were fixed. But sharper still were his cruel claws. Whatever he touched or drew within those claws was in deadly danger. His head was more hideous than tongue can tell, for his deep jaws gaped wide, showing three rows of iron teeth read to devour his prey.
There are also instances of anaphora
>Once more the Red Cross Knight mounted and attacked the dragon. Once more in vain.
internal rhyme
>Yet the beast had never before felt such a mighty stroke from the hand of any man, and he was furious for revenge.
and Homeric similes.
>Like a sailor long at sea, under stormy winds and fierce sun, who begins to whistle merrily when he sees land, so Una was thankful.
These are all tropes I would have pointed out when I was teaching Medieval and Renaissance Lit. and are spread thinly enough not to be over done. They are in fact very appropriate to the material, being standard Anglo-Saxon techniques. The surrounding prose is also extremely well written. There were only three alliterations which I felt were overdone, but-hey-that's also true for equivalent portions of Beowulf!
I can't think of a better introduction to the dragonslayer genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Children's Book Ever, May 2 2004
Andy (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saint George and the Dragon (Paperback)
This is perhaps the first book I ever truly loved. At sixteen, it seems almost strange that I should find myself writing a review of a children's book, but it was just that good, that memorable, and that much a part of my childhood. As probably the only person to comment on this after having read it as a child, I think that this book is one of those children's books that is so very memorable; I would even compare this book to the famous "Goodnight Moon". The illustrations are absolutely beautiful, and the story is enchanting and enthralling. It is in essence the perfect children's book, and practically made me fall in love with reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Kid's Book I Know!, Sept. 21 2003
David R. Woodbury (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saint George and the Dragon (Paperback)
Now in tatters, its about time for me to replace this one. My kids and I first discovered it about 5 years ago. There is no other book that I have enjoyed reading with them so much. It has the best artwork of any storybook out there. It is a fun and exciting story that I also recognized as the story of the Red Cross Knight, from Spenser's "Faerie Queen." It is great that the language in this child's version is also very engaging, rhythmic, and dramatic. I recommend this book for everyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Saint George and the Dragon is a grand adventure., July 13 2003
Chris Atkins (Charleston, WV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saint George and the Dragon (Paperback)
This tale of medieval England is set amongst monsters and dragons. Most children will love the adventure and will be on the edge of their seat to see what happens to the Red Cross Knight. It may be a little rough for small children, since there is a scene of violence.

4.0 out of 5 stars An epic adventure in a children's book., July 13 2003
Chris Atkins (Charleston, WV) - See all my reviews
A wonderful retelling of a good versus evil tale. Although a little violent for the very young, it packs a punch to keep most children wondering what will happen next. I believe it still is a good read today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kevin's Review of St. George and the Dragon, March 12 2003
Kevin Bauer (Essexville, MI USA) - See all my reviews
I am a fan of fantasy, and this children's book delivers a great fantasy story complete with mystical objects, mystical creatures, love, and heavy conflict. The book boils down to one of the long-heard "dragon-slaying-stories". This is very well written adventure making it a wonderful fantasy short-story. The pictures are nothing short of stunning. From the frame artwork of dancing sprites, angels, and knights to the giant dragon who's glamour has trouble fitting into a single page.
This is a book where I would've given an extra half-star. While this book is great for adults to read and enjoy, its intended audience might not be able to enjoy it to its fullest. The story is complex enough to make the reader have to achieve a certain age to be able to completely understand what is going on. There also are some scenes with mild to medium bloodshed.
All in all, a great book to read, and I would highly recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xba2f8c48)

Saint George and the Dragon
Saint George and the Dragon by Trina Schart Hyman (Paperback - Sept. 4 1990)
CDN$ 9.00 CDN$ 8.55