5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Own: Clearly written and comprehensive
Published on July 7 2004 by D Gentry

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the novice puppy owner
This book is well written and deals specifically with puppies. It gives some ideas and techniques for picking a puppy and even a few tests to determine how dominate or submissive the pup might become. There are good descriptions of the phases a puppy goes through and it really helped me understand why my puppy acted one way then suddenly changed his behavior. The book...
Published on Jan. 30 2000 by Randy Goode

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Own: Clearly written and comprehensive, July 7 2004
D Gentry (Santa Monica, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Hardcover)
The Monks compile a great deal of knowledge into one very informative, very well-written, hard-to-put-down book. This book focuses on the development, both physiological and psychological, of puppies: from the dams pregnancy and whelping on. They address what to do, what to avoid, nutrition, etc., for each phase. I strongly suggest that you also read "How to be Your Dog's Best Friend". In the latter book (their first) they make it very clear that you should read not only their book, but many others on the training and evolution of dogs and a variety of other related subjects and provide a recommended reading list. Having read both books (and many others), I felt that they had no pretensions (as some do) to be the utmost authority on the subject. Nonetheless, as for puppy books, this is my number one pick, my guidebook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Nov. 14 2011
This book is an excellent source for anyone thinking of buying a dog (especially a puppy). The monks are knowledgeable in their work and stress the importance of having the time and patience to raise a puppy properly. While they specialize in German Shepherd dogs, many of their principles can and should be applied to any breed. This book is a must for potential puppy owners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great training book for gentle, humane training, Nov. 24 2001
Deanna E Niehaus (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Hardcover)
My dog is now 2 1/2 years old and people always ask me how we trained her to be so loyal, obedient, loving and playful - my answer is "I read this book called The Art Of Raising A Puppy written by some monks in New York and started using it when she was 8 weeks old". I have recommended this book to other friends who have raised their puppies with the monk's philosophies and their dogs are the same - loyal, loving, obedient, and playful.
The book stresses the importance of understanding why your dog does things so you can help train/correct them the best way. When you use the methods in the book it seems your puppy obeys earlier and needs to be corrected less than others who do not. Good luck with your training - I hope your relationship with your dog is as rewarding as ours has been.
By the way I do a lot of work with the local humane society and they are big on "clicker training" - I have seen many animals trained with this method and they don't have near the bond with their trainers as those I've seen trained with the monks methods. Just wanted to mention that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puppyhood made understandable!!!, July 23 2001
This review is from: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Hardcover)
I have looked at many books on how to train puppies, and this is the one that I keep going back to, in fact it is the only one I continuously used after we got our pup, a Great Dane. It explains how a puppy matures and when is the best time to get your puppy in order for the puppy to become a part of your "family pack". I have followed this book in it's advice for training a puppy, which means starting from the very beginning. At the age of 12 weeks Buck, our puppy, will sit, lay down, come, walk nicely on a leash, and will sit-stay and down-stay for short periods of time. He also will shake your hand, which isn't in the book, but using their methods of praise for behavior you like, this was easily taught!! The house-breaking went unbelievably well and this too was due to the advice of the Monks. This book is an excellent choice for first timers and also for those who have had dogs before. This book helps you to understand things from a puppy's viewpoint and how to use this understanding to help your puppy mature into a wonderful part of your family. If you are someone who thinks that dogs belong outside of your house, away from the family, hopefully this book can change your mind. The most important information that I got from this book was this, don't let your pup do things as a pup that you don't want him doing as a big dog. This book is indispensable!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars GParticularly for GSD Puppy Buyers, June 17 2001
This review is from: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Hardcover)
A must if you are going to pickup your GSD either from a reputable breeder or even the kennel. If will help you pick up that little puppy and when I gave my latest puppy the tests here, agareed with the breeder of what was the pick puppy. I have been quite happy with Napoleon & wish I had used this previously with a different GSD -- it would have wanred me of her, unfortunately, improper breeding and later fatal tendency towards sickness; yes the brothers can spot weakness in a puppy and for that I am totally impressed.
The book goes thru the developmental stages of a GSD puppy and emphaizes puppy testing. i have had other breeds and the book does not work so well with them (Lab Ret & Yorkies), so I can honestly only recommend for the GSD group. If you fit in, then it's a must buy. If you are not sure if the GSD is for you, buy this book as you will learn what is so special about the breed.
If you are not thinking of getting a GSD or one of thw working breeds, ACDs, AS, Collies etc. then pass it by. It really does not work with the Sporting or Toys breeds- wnich is only failing but then no book is perfect for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic training manual if a little dated ..., June 1 2001
Yeoh Siok Kee (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Hardcover)
This is still a very good training manual providing much sound and good advice ...
From the previous reviews, this book appears to have been drawn into the debate (or is it battle?) between the proponents of newer training styles and trainers who still use slip collars and scruff shakes ...
For sure this book makes no mention of 'clickers' but neither does it advocate harsh punishment ... It is perhaps important to remember that the Monks are training German Shepherds, a strong and powerful breed. Even at 16 weeks, a GSD if not taught to curb aggression or dominant tendencies can prove to be more than a handful for any owner ... The Monks should not be faulted for being firm with their GSD from a young age, ... they are firm but invariably fair ... they obvious love their dogs, and their training methods (if a little dated) reflect that love and care ...
We have a yellow Lab, and have never ever had to discipline her with anything more than a frown ... she is so mellow and loveable that training is more fun & games than anything else, the 'clicker' works wonderfully well ... But we also have a Beagle, and that little lady is both independent and wilful ... we adore her but have also come to realise that she needs us to be very consistent and firm ... and this book has helped us and our Beagle immensely ...
Maybe the Monks will bring out a new edition soon ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Communion with DOG..., Dec 21 2000
This review is from: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Hardcover)
There are scads of books on how to raise puppies out there, and most of them range from fairly informative to extremely useful. This one is not only useful, but a step beyond the others. It takes on the total relationship between puppy and trainer, delving into the nature of the dog-human bonding experience. Further, this book presents a spiritual perspective on that experience without succumbing to flippancy or cutesiness.
Even if you don't plan to obtain a puppy soon, you will enjoy the way this book creates a sense of wonder over the sometimes trying, often rewarding relationship that humans forge with their canine friends. The first chapter alone is quite inspirational, explaining the miraculous event of a German Shepherd giving birth. Little details are carefully pointed out in such a way that they all contribute to a growing sense of reverance for dogs and their place in the grand scheme of nature. Yet the book is loaded with sound, workable, and tested advice that every dog owner should appreciate. If you have a friend who likes non-commercialized, non-sectarian spiritual philosophy... and likes dogs ... and is thinking of getting a puppy -- this IS the PERFECT gift! Should be on the bookshelf of every dog-lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for Faith in "Dog", Nov. 5 2000
This review is from: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Hardcover)
The pages of this book are impregnated with far more than "How-To" wisdom for erstwhile canine guardians. They are infused with a special brand of modern Orthodox spirituality, one that focuses on the "divinization" of everyday existence. At issue is the ennobling and divine appreciation of our fellow creatures. The monks provide a secularly packaged vision that is exquisitely articulated without pushing any particular creed or theology. As such, it amounts to a delicious re-enchantment of the modern world, starting with surprising magic that comes of an honest relationship with a dog. At a time when evidence of the failing of human relationships lies all around, the monks teach "learning what it means to be human, by learning what it means to be dog." This book comes at a great time for me, personally. I am getting two Alaskan Malamute puppies in 3 weeks. My lifestyle is not exceptionally well suited to the task. But neither is it well suited to my own personal health! Put bluntly, I need a change! Too busy -- too career oriented, etc., etc. This book encourages me greatly to achieve what I am aiming for in getting these puppies. To CHANGE my lifestyle, and give myself over more to "soul-making" and less to upward social mobility. I must also add that, for those with more pragmatic aims, the book is in fact chock-full of excellent puppy-raising "How-To!"

5.0 out of 5 stars We Ended Up Adopting A Different Dog!, May 29 2000
This review is from: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Hardcover)
We showed up to pick out our mutt puppy and were prepared to take the female. However, we had this book in hand and the monks had a bunch of personality tests to administer to a prospective puppy. We performed the tests on the female and her brother. Her brother upstaged her at every turn so we adopted him. He has turned out to be a fabulous dog,incredibly smart and affectionate. The book also has training methods, some of which we used effectively. The "sterner" methods used by the Monks we were just too wimpy to use on our dog. The monks are all in favor of the training cage though. We had never used a dog cage before but now think it is wonderful for training a pup. The monks' toilet training for pups was less effective than a method we learned in another OOP book. We stuck with the other book's method of using vinegar and tabasco sauce on the dog. Notice the monks breed German Shepherd dogs. We just applied their material to a mutt and it worked fine. We were going to get another purebred dog but our vet advised us we would do better with a mutt medically and he was right. He was seeing too many medical problems with all types of purebred dogs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitivity Plus, April 10 2000
Mrs Kate Nicholls (Perth, Western Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Hardcover)
In July 1997 I wrote the following review for this book in our breed club magazine. It is probably worth repeating it. My thoughts have not changed.
Some books are more special to me than others. On my shelves I have many books on dog behaviour, obedience, psychology etc. but there is one that stands head and shoulders above the rest when it comes right down to the nitty gritty of raising puppies, and that is the most sensitive of books, "The Art of Raising a Puppy".
Back in 1978 The Monks of New Skete published a book entitled "How to be Your Dog's Best Friend" and told how the Monks obtained their first German shepherd in 1966 and how "Training dogs grew organically out of our experiences with our own dogs". Their careful breeding and training of their German shepherds and the training of visiting dogs became the means of financing the running of their community. "The Art of Raising a Puppy, published in 1991 is a quantum leap forward in sensitivity; I loved it from the moment I read the first few pages and was gently lead through Anka's gentle birthing of her puppies. It matters not a jot that these are all German Shepherds; we can easily relate everything to our Rhodesian Ridgebacks. The affinity these monks have developed with their dogs almost sends a shiver down one's spine. As I read on I felt myself agreeing wholeheartedly with what they were saying...and wishing that I could have been the one to say it! They have managed to convey all the minutiae of canine behaviour that only constant and vigilant observation teaches and then convey it to the reader. I could not find a single area of puppy upbringing that was not covered; from the initial decision to purchase a puppy, finding a breeder, aptitude testing, general care, basic training for puppies, lessons from the pack, discipline and common puppy problems, and much, much more: a veritable wealth of knowledge all in one book. For instance there is a chapter entitled "Reading your Dog" (one of my favourite hobbies) with subtitles, Canine Communication, Vocal Communication, Visual Communication, Olfactory Communication, Pack Dymanics and Training the the Pack. And throughout the book there are excellent photos, some of which give you a puppy's eye view of the world, also their adaptions of the classic illustrations of canine facial expressions and body language. This magic book will certainly enlighten those who misread the messages that out canine friends give. In "How To Be Your Dog's Best Friend" they speak of "inseeing" and its importance in your relationship with your dog ..."Inseeing is standing inside your dog's psyche, putting yourself at her centre, where she is a unique, individual creature, and understanding her from that perspective", and they again reintroduce this concept in "The Art of Raising a Puppy" The closing chapter reminds us that "When you take the time and energy necessary to raise a puppy correctly, wonderful things happen. The dog becomes a friend.

The Art of Raising a Puppy
The Art of Raising a Puppy by Monks of New Skete (Hardcover - March 20 1991)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.23