5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book
Published on Nov. 14 2011 by Kat

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn't love it
Highly recommended to my by somebody who only used this book as a training aid - It was okay, nothing amazing though! I gave it to a friend!
Published 10 months ago by LEDK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Nov. 14 2011
This book is an excellent source for anyone thinking of buying a dog (especially a puppy). The monks are knowledgeable in their work and stress the importance of having the time and patience to raise a puppy properly. While they specialize in German Shepherd dogs, many of their principles can and should be applied to any breed. This book is a must for potential puppy owners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great training book for gentle, humane training, Nov. 24 2001
Deanna E Niehaus (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Hardcover)
My dog is now 2 1/2 years old and people always ask me how we trained her to be so loyal, obedient, loving and playful - my answer is "I read this book called The Art Of Raising A Puppy written by some monks in New York and started using it when she was 8 weeks old". I have recommended this book to other friends who have raised their puppies with the monk's philosophies and their dogs are the same - loyal, loving, obedient, and playful.
The book stresses the importance of understanding why your dog does things so you can help train/correct them the best way. When you use the methods in the book it seems your puppy obeys earlier and needs to be corrected less than others who do not. Good luck with your training - I hope your relationship with your dog is as rewarding as ours has been.
By the way I do a lot of work with the local humane society and they are big on "clicker training" - I have seen many animals trained with this method and they don't have near the bond with their trainers as those I've seen trained with the monks methods. Just wanted to mention that.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "bible" of all dog books!, Jan. 15 2007
This review is from: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Hardcover)
At first I thought this new-age "doggie" duty might be a bit ... out there, especially penned my monks, but I can admit when I am wrong, as I was in this case.

This is THE best book for anyone who owns a dog and wants to understand their canine companion. It is very easy to read and completely understandable. The monks' philosophy makes perfect sense. I feel a bit guily about ways we trained the family dog when I was a kid, but times have changed and these are reflected in this book.

As an adult about to embark on getting my dog, I researched ... a lot ... until a friend suggested this book. This is the first book I recommend to people. It provides clear information, offered in step by step stages of a dog that kept me fascinated while I waited for my puppy. I was well prepared to meet the demands of my seven week old puppy when she arrived.

If you only buy one book on raising dogs, this should be it!

5.0 out of 5 stars best puppy book, April 7 2014
this book actually guides you in how to train you pup. Not just a story about a few puppies like milan's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book first and puchase your puppy, April 7 2014
This book is a must for any person thinking about getting a puppy. I had many dogs and horses in the past and I could have use the info. Thanks again for a second chance!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for any new puppy owner, Jan. 25 2014
The techniques in the book made getting a new puppy such a positive experience. It is a must If you have a new puppy or are thinking about getting one.

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn't love it, June 3 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Raising a Puppy, April 19 2013
Great book! Very informative. I couldn't stop reading it! I would recommend it to everyone before getting a puppy or a young dog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for all Shepherd owners, Jan. 24 2013
An excellent in depth view on how to raise your GSD.I have read many books on German Shepherds and I have found that all the monks of New Skete books go above and beyond other authors.
They have raised GSD,s for over 30 years which makes me believe that they are doing something right.
Their basic principal is the bond between the dog and its owner and base their training around that.
A delightful must read for all Shepherd owners!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, have used it for 2 puppies, Nov. 1 2012
This review is from: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Hardcover)
First used this book about 15 years ago with our chocolate lab pup. He has since left us, but renewed acquaintances with puppies and the Monks just a year ago with our new black lab pup. The book provides great insight into puppy brains, how to train them and how to make them well adapted members of your family. Do what the book says and you will have a happy, confident dog.

ARRAY(0xb4cb63fc)

The Art of Raising a Puppy
The Art of Raising a Puppy by Monks of New Skete (Hardcover - March 20 1991)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.29