5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book
Published on Nov. 14 2011 by Kat

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn't love it
Highly recommended to my by somebody who only used this book as a training aid - It was okay, nothing amazing though! I gave it to a friend!
Published 13 months ago by LEDK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Nov. 14 2011
This book is an excellent source for anyone thinking of buying a dog (especially a puppy). The monks are knowledgeable in their work and stress the importance of having the time and patience to raise a puppy properly. While they specialize in German Shepherd dogs, many of their principles can and should be applied to any breed. This book is a must for potential puppy owners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great training book for gentle, humane training, Nov. 24 2001
Deanna E Niehaus (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Hardcover)
My dog is now 2 1/2 years old and people always ask me how we trained her to be so loyal, obedient, loving and playful - my answer is "I read this book called The Art Of Raising A Puppy written by some monks in New York and started using it when she was 8 weeks old". I have recommended this book to other friends who have raised their puppies with the monk's philosophies and their dogs are the same - loyal, loving, obedient, and playful.
The book stresses the importance of understanding why your dog does things so you can help train/correct them the best way. When you use the methods in the book it seems your puppy obeys earlier and needs to be corrected less than others who do not. Good luck with your training - I hope your relationship with your dog is as rewarding as ours has been.
By the way I do a lot of work with the local humane society and they are big on "clicker training" - I have seen many animals trained with this method and they don't have near the bond with their trainers as those I've seen trained with the monks methods. Just wanted to mention that.

5.0 out of 5 stars best puppy book, April 7 2014
this book actually guides you in how to train you pup. Not just a story about a few puppies like milan's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for any new puppy owner, Jan. 25 2014
The techniques in the book made getting a new puppy such a positive experience. It is a must If you have a new puppy or are thinking about getting one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "bible" of all dog books!, Jan. 15 2007
This review is from: The Art of Raising a Puppy (Hardcover)
At first I thought this new-age "doggie" duty might be a bit ... out there, especially penned my monks, but I can admit when I am wrong, as I was in this case.

This is THE best book for anyone who owns a dog and wants to understand their canine companion. It is very easy to read and completely understandable. The monks' philosophy makes perfect sense. I feel a bit guily about ways we trained the family dog when I was a kid, but times have changed and these are reflected in this book.

As an adult about to embark on getting my dog, I researched ... a lot ... until a friend suggested this book. This is the first book I recommend to people. It provides clear information, offered in step by step stages of a dog that kept me fascinated while I waited for my puppy. I was well prepared to meet the demands of my seven week old puppy when she arrived.

If you only buy one book on raising dogs, this should be it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 6 2014
Really great information for new dog owners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading For All Dog Owners, May 17 2014
This is without doubt the best or one of the best books for people who are getting a new puppy, whether it's their first or tenth. I have had dogs all my life and yet this books was incredible for the learning and the absolute rationality too it. I suspect anyone can learn from it. Their ideas, beliefs and reasons are well back-up with their own and others experiences, We have raised one with this system and are now in the process of raising another which lead me to re-read it and learn again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, April 30 2014
I used this book years ago to train the family dog, he was the best dog. Unfortunately we had to put him down last August (he was 13 yrs old). Recently my son and his boys purchased a new puppy and I purchased this book for them as well as "How to be Your Dog's Best Friend" they love these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book first and puchase your puppy, April 7 2014
This book is a must for any person thinking about getting a puppy. I had many dogs and horses in the past and I could have use the info. Thanks again for a second chance!!

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn't love it, June 3 2013

The Art of Raising a Puppy
The Art of Raising a Puppy by Monks of New Skete (Hardcover - March 20 1991)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.32