5.0 out of 5 stars My boy loved it, Feb. 22 2006
This review is from: Cirque Du Freak #6: The Vampire Prince: Book 6 in the Saga of Darren Shan (Cirque Du Freak: the Saga of Darren Shan) (Paperback)
My son, who for the longest time refused to pick up a book, finally gave in and read the first one of this series. Ever since, he's gone through them like a kid in a candy store. Not too bad for us grownups either I might add.
**A book I would also recommend is The Unsuspecting Mage by Brian S. Pratt. This, the first installment of The Morcyth Saga is a great beginning for a new author. Battles, magic, gods, secret passages and intrigue, all the elements of a classic epic fantasy! Any fantasy reader will enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, June 30 2004
Melissa Murphy "Melissa Ann Murphy" (Yorktown, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
I would have given this a 4 1/2 if it were possible, but to me this wasnt the best of the series. It was still incredibly good, as are all of the books (minus the forth one). I only gave it four because the book was kind of perdictable. I was only unable to predict one thing that happened in this book, and might i add that twist was incredible. Darren is an amazing writer and I look forward to reading the rest of the books. I definatly recomend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling mystery, May 17 2004
KidsReads (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Trust authority. Trust tradition. Trust the wisdom of the older vampires. Darren Shan knows he is supposed to follow these lessons, but in his current position, caught in a violent tide coursing through Vampire Mountain, he's having a difficult time trusting anyone or anything. He has just witnessed the murder of his friend and advisor Gavner Purl at the hands of the Vampire Prince Kurda Smahlt.
While hiding with the wolves that rescue him from near-certain death, Darren puts the pieces of the Kurda puzzle together. He figures that Kurda, working in league with the enemies of the vampires, the vampaneze, is going to betray all the vampires and the Vampire Princes and allow the vampaneze to access the Stone of Blood. With the Stone of Blood, the vampaneze will have the power to find and kill almost every vampire in the world. Darren knows he's the only one who can stop Kurda, but how will he do it?
From the heart-pounding introduction through the twist at the end that brings Darren into a whole new way of vampire life, Shan never gives Darren, or the reader, a second to relax. While this book is not recommended for those who have not read previous books in the series, regular readers of Darren's saga will be intrigued by the mystery and the way characters are revealed. There is the trademark blood and gore here, but it takes second chair to Darren's growth and discoveries. Warning: Some readers may require a tissue at the end.
--- Reviewed by Carlie Webber

5.0 out of 5 stars The Vampire Prince, April 27 2004
By A Customer
its a great book!!!!!!!!!!
yeah yeah yeah.
(...)

5.0 out of 5 stars the vampires assistant, April 9 2004
By A Customer
This was one of the best books i've ever read[ until I read more of them which, I encourage you all to do.]and I am still excited because i'm on 6. I gave this book 5 stars and am still sticking to my decision. Darren Shan/o'saughsey makes you want to keep reading and find out what happens!!!!!!!!!!!! *****

5.0 out of 5 stars review for the vampire prince, April 7 2004
By A Customer
I thought this book was great i give it 5 stars (thats the most amount).I really really liked it but i think it is annoying that it doesn't come out in paperback sooner! I think people who like horror movies and horror books etc... should read this book, i didn't want to put it down and my mom got mad at me for reading it to much. I told her to read it but she didn't get time yet. READ THIS BOOK AS WELL AS THE REST OF THE CIRQUE DU FREAK BOOKS (IF YOU DON'T READ THE REST OF THE BOOKS IT WON'T MAKE SENSE OTHERWISE.)

5.0 out of 5 stars This series is by far the best books i have ever read!, April 1 2004
By A Customer
Words can not explain how great these books are. I never thought of reading as a fun this. I always thought of it as homework. We had to chose a book, read it, and then write a book review on it for school. I had chosen this book randomly and I am glad I did! after reading the first book I could not wait to get my hands on the second book. I read through the series in a matter of days because you get hooked on them. They are by far the best sieries I have ever read. I wish that this series gets made in to a movie. This book is filled with every thing you could want. I HIGHLY suggest this to any body who is looking for an excellent read. I can not wait another month to read the 1th book. I plan on getting the sixth book tomarrow but I'm sure I will finish in a day or two. This is deffidently the best book I've ever read. Do not wait to read it yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Idea of the Vampire Prince, March 3 2004
"lil_doug" (Burlingame, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Hey! when i finished this book the first words that came out of my mouth were "wow." The first sentence of this book had me amazed by the book..."Be careful who you trust." This book was a fun filled white nuckle thrilling book. I loved it each step of the way. Darren was an ordinary boy until he met Mr. Crepsley who showed him into the world of vampires. Darren worked his way up to the vampire's assistant. In this edition of Darren Shan, Darren runs from his fears. Recently, Darren failed his trials and the suspence of that was death. He ran from this penalty and found that his own friend had betrayed him, killing his dear friend and ally Gavner Purl. Darren proves himself to the vampire princes and tells them about the stories he has witnessed they except his noblness and bravery. Read on to find how Darren works his way up to the top of the vampire counsil.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Vampire Prince (Cirque De Freak, 6), Feb. 17 2004
By A Customer
If Harry Potter is your type of choice, surely, "Cirque De Freak: Saga of Darren Shan" wouldn't let you down. This matchless classic sequel arrives to the climax, "The Vampire Prince". Darren Shan, the author, has managed to demonstrate his talents and creativity into generating vivid images that led the readers into the presence of the story. This sequel flourishes with suspense, and the betrayal of friendship.
Darren Shan was an everyday ordinary student until he met a vampire. The admiration of the vampire influenced and distorted his whole life. The minion of the night introduced him into the world of darkness, violence, and despair. Overwhelmed by the powers of the new world, he unconsciously harmed humans without noticing. He was then forever bounded and banished from the world of human beings. As Darren Shan gradually becomes accommodated with his new life, he meets several vampire friends. They fought together through trials of hardship. His new life seemed promising until one of his friends was assassinated. Surprising and heart wrecking, the assassination was through a betrayal of another friend. This is when everything started to crumble and odd events occurred.
"The Vampire Prince" is a part where events of previous sequels sum up and combines into the height of the book. This sequel commences with Darren Shan flowing in the river. Although struggling to survive, he insists in seeking his way back to the vampire mountain to report his momentous information that might threaten the life and death of the vampires. In the meantime, Kurda Smahlt, the betrayer of the vampires, is planning ahead on his next step in the upcoming ceremony. This book keeps pacing and solves mystery by mystery, like a spider web with events crossing one another bringing into the entire big picture view.
How would Darren Shan be able to get back in time and end the insidious conspiracy of the betrayer? Read this thrilling sequel to find out! The ending of this story will not disappoint lovers for unexpected endings. If you are a blood thirsty shark preying in the ocean of books, this would be the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Vampire Prince, Jan. 13 2004
By A Customer
i think that this book deservies many awards. this book has death, gore, tratiors, and much more. there are many battle scenes. Darren has to out wit a vampire prince. the vampire princeses are the most powerful and smartest of the vampires. will Darren live to see day again? or will he die in the Hall of Death? find out in this bone chilling book. the end will leave you hungry for more.