5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, The Authors are Opinionated, but...
It ISN"T just their opinion that breastmilk is best for babies, so if they use some strong words to get mothers to breastfeed, and help them succeed, they are only being honest.
Published on Oct. 9 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Not completely won over
Published on July 7 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, The Authors are Opinionated, but..., Oct. 9 2002
By A Customer
A few of these reviews made me laugh. Several reviewers criticized the authors for saying, for example, that you should nurse whenever baby is hungry... resulting in them nursing 24/7 for days on end and not eating or sleeping. Surely, as adults, we can use a little common sense to interpret what we read. Yes, parents are allowed to eat and sleep too, and nature does not intend for babies to nurse 24/7 for weeks. (Though, if the complaining mother had tried a sling, or getting some help from her spouse or friends, she could have eaten while nursing...) If co-sleeping doesn't work in your family, put baby in a crib.
And as for the reviewer who said that the Sears told mothers to avoid treating illnesses so they could nurse ... I suspect she misunderstood. I don't have the book in front of me, but what I THINK they meant was that you don't HAVE to wean to treat most illnesses. The vast majority of medications are perfectly safe to use while nursing, (or have a safe alternative) yet many doctors will tell mothers that they have to wean, at least temporarily, if they are ill and need to take medication. The point is that the risk to the baby from traces of maternal medication in the milk is far, far smaller than the risk to the baby of being fed formula instead. (Even for a short while, and since few mothers are able to pump-and-dump for several weeks and then get baby back on the breast, even 'temporary' weaning very often ends up being permanent weaning.)
And comfort nursing does not teach bad habits...
Yes, the Sears do encourage new mothers to stay home with their babies, if possible. But if the mother can't, she can't, and the book does discuss the issues of employed mothers. (And, to respond to another reviewer, you really CAN get out of the house during the first year while nursing on demand, comfort nursing, and using cloth diapers.)
If you want a book that tells you that "breast is best, but formula is just as good, and if you just don't want to nurse, or you have some minor difficulties and want to quit, that's perfectly ok too," I'd recommend "What to Expect" or any of the other general parenting books. But if you want an honest, well-written text that promotes breastfeeding, doesn't mince words, and helps mothers to succeed, this is an excellent choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book For Attached Parents, Plus Others, Jan. 22 2008
I think its important for people to realize that the Sears promote Attachment Parenting. They have NOT created a basic breastfeeding book leaving out their basic principles, so if you bought this book expecting mainstream, you should probably have researched some more. Don't complain when the Sears deliver exactly what us attachment parenting people WANT.

Nonetheless, it has great information about breastfeeding, but if you are not a believe in Attachment Parenting, sure, you are going to be annoyed. Perhaps a different book, or just read the knowledge and leave the theory.

I don't understand why people would buy a book written by them, then complain about the Attachment Parenting values. Do your research before buying!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an impossible dream, July 8 2003
I'm still breastfeeding my 10 month old with great success, and the Sears' books have been wonderful. Contrary to what some reviewers have said, you don't need to be a stay-at-home mom who never goes out and nurses 24/7. I work seasonally, and when my daughter was 4 months old, I started working 75 hour weeks for three months. I continued to exclusively breastfeed. I felt like I was pumping my breasts off, but I made it work. I battled supple issues from the time she was born, because she had latch problems due to a misaligned jaw. Fortunately, my hospital had resources to help me with this as well. I was able to take herbal supplements and drink nursing tea to help with my supply. At this point, I'm able to meet her needs all on my own. Not only that, but I've been on medication almost the entire time as well. It is possible, you just have to be committed and willing to make it work. There were times when I felt like giving up, but I stuck it out, and it's the most wonderful thing I've ever done. BTW, during the time that I was working all those hours, I continued to use just cloth diapers as well, and my husband also worked full-time. My dinner was always eaten while nursing my daughter, and as soon as I finished eating, I was back to work. We're not rich people, but very committed to doing the very best for our baby and the earth, and Dr. Sears helps us with that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Let's be Realistic!!!, Aug. 20 2003
Ramona (Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
People! People! People!
I am rather disturbed after reading some of the reviews.
Let's use some commonsense and be objective, please!!!
Breast-feeding is a wonderful thing.
However, please do not let 1 book become your sole reference (or make you cry for that matter) for what is potentially 1 of the most important decisions during your child's life.
Please read other references.
Please consultant your doctor, nurse or lactation consultant (who generally offer free advice), and other women who have breastfed successfully.
Pro's:Overall Content Good
General Problem Solving are Good
Con's:Everything in this book can be found
in "The Baby Book" by Martha Sears R.N., William Sears M.D.
Problems can better be resolved by doctor, nurse/lactation consultant
(I also suggest reading: "The Nursing Mother's Problem Solver" by Claire Martin)

I have battled with:
1. Jaundice when my child was first born. (I supplemented using a bottle and continued to breastfeed).
2. Not feeling as though she was getting enough to eat (she seemed as if she cried none stop)
3. Sleepless nights (this was resolved once I learned how to nurse at night, which wasn't easy at first because she was so tiny)
4. Growth Spurts (Nursing around the clock)
5. Refusing a bottle (Even though she has had 1 since birth)
6. General overall tiredness (Which can reduce your supply, so ask for help around the house and relax a little)
7. Returning to Work (and continuing to breastfeed, while pumping when away)
Through it all, I keep reading and asking questions.
Never letting any 1 source deter me from my goal.
And ultimately doing what is best for our family in any given situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy and could become your breast-friend, Dec 8 2011
Cristina Wallace (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Extremely useful resource for the new and the experienced. Easy to read, understand and cross-reference. Practical approach and a helpful tool to support both mommy and any coach/support team.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for new moms, April 25 2006
By A Customer
I love this book. It offers great advice for new breastfeeding moms. Every time I have had a question or concern, the answer has been in this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not completely won over, July 7 2004
By A Customer
This book has great tips for breastfeeding. However, I am not so sure I like the Sears' attitude. I am not a fan of co-sleeping and think they hit it a little hard. I agree with some other reviewers that they are too negative regarding bottle-feeding. I have been lucky with breastfeeding my baby girl, but have many friends that have had problems and the rigid outlook of the Sears is not very helpful. Take their advice with a grain of salt - you are the mother, do what you think is best.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Can't live without" book for every breastfeeding mother.., May 19 2004
Kelly Blackadar (NH) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book during my pregnancy so that I could research the option of breastfeeding. It not only helped me make my decision but I continue to use it for a reference. Any woman who is breastfeeding must have a copy on hand to answer the many questions they will have throughout their breastfeeding months. It teaches you how to recognize problems before they need medical attention. It truly helps you appreciate the wonderful bonding period you will have with your baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good insightful and funny advice!, Dec 10 2003
By A Customer
This book helped me gain the confidence needed to seriously breastfeed my first child. I always knew breast was best, but of course had my doubts on whether or not I could do it for 6-12 months, or even if I could produce enough milk. In the end, I nursed my first child until he was 23 months old, at which point I had to wean him because I was 3 months pregnant and for the first time, latching on really HURT! I'm now 8 months pregnant and looking forward to nursing my 2nd child.
The lip-flip tip in this book really helped me get the latch on correct, and the information on combining nursing with pumping to help increase my milk supply was great! When I went back to work, I was able to pump 15-26 ounces per day (in 3 pumpings).
All the other breastfeeding books I read were all written by women. Dr. William Sears adds his input from a man's perspective, which is funny (check out his reaction while driving and Martha began breastfeeding in the back seat of their car), and insightful. My husband even enjoyed reading this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for breastfeeding moms!, Sept. 9 2003
I read this book cover to cover during my pregnancy, which helped me know what to expect when my first baby was born. After he was born, we had a difficult time getting the breastfeeding started, so I referred to it numerous times to read about engorgement, latching on, pumping, storing milk, and even weaning when the time came. I always buy this book for friends who are planning to breastfeed, since it was such an invaluable resource to me. The Sears' combine their medical experience with their personal experience to make you feel like they have been there and can offer some practical advice for many situations. I highly recommend this informative and comforting book.

ARRAY(0xb3b4ec54)

The Breastfeeding Book: Everything You Need to Know about Nursing Your Child--From Birth Through Weaning
Used & New from: CDN$ 6.19