5.0 out of 5 stars An Approach by Professionals Who Practice What They Preach

1.0 out of 5 stars High expectations, but disappointed
Published on April 18 2004 by Julie Francis

1.0 out of 5 stars High expectations, but disappointed, April 18 2004
Julie Francis (McKinleyville, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Discipline Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Better-Behaved Child From Birth to Age Ten (Paperback)
I was so thrilled about all I learned from the Sears Baby Book, that I was sure this was the only discipline book I'd need. Instead, I just read it and it is going straight into the trash (and yes, I read the whole huge thing, hoping at some point it would get better and more useful) Dr. Sears, you hae a lot of fans out there (myself included) but you really missed the boat on this one! The book goes on and on and on about attachment parenting philosophies (wear your baby, nurse, sleep with your baby) and even though I've done all that I find this book does the attachment parenting thing ad nauseum. I actually found myself thinking it is a bit offensive, because Sears seems to think that children who are properly attached, or attached enough, will not have discipline issues. Well, that's just not helpful to me as I try to find strategies to deal with my daughter hitting other children, or throwing food on the floor (for 4 months now), or having little tantrums, etc. If you want a book that will make you feel good about all the great attachment parenting you've done, or horrible about all the attachment parenting you haven't done, then this is the book for you. If you want a book that is more about strategies to deal with toddlers and their behavioral challenges (and why they work, and the strenghts and weaknesses of various approaches), keep looking. I'm going to try "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for toddlers" and "Becoming the parent you want to be."

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, Feb. 25 2000
Michelle "amesiowa" (United States) - See all my reviews
I am a strong believer in the general ideas espoused by Dr. Sears (family bed, avoiding spanking, being respectful of children as people, etc.), but I found this book very disappointing. First, Dr. Sears provides many strong recommendations about what a parent should and shouldn't do, but virtually no practical suggestions or examples. Second, in the focus on being respectful and responsive to the child, there is a strong implication that a parent who attends to his/her own needs is practicing poor parenting. I believe that a parent who sacrifices too much of her/his self is often a worse parent than those who have boundaries that are respectful of BOTH themselves and their child. Third, there is a strong and explicit value that the mother is and SHOULD be the primary parent, with the father playing a quite peripheral role. If you want a parenting book that teaches you to be warm and responsive to your child with practical examples, "How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, How to Listen So Kids Will Talk" is a MUCH better choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Approach by Professionals Who Practice What They Preach, Sept. 16 2003
By A Customer
I feel so comfortable with the philosophy of this book. I must admit I had previously thought of attachment parenting as relating only to nursing babies. Sears clearly explains that a solid foundation in a "connected parent/child relationship" along with firm boundaries, effective communication skills and behavior modification strategies, will (over time) develop a child's
conscience and internal motivation to WANT to do the right thing. I have 3 young children under the age of 6. I highly recommend this book for it's comprehesive explanations of theory and attention to issues of special needs children as well as to some common worrisome issues of 6-10 year olds. If you have young children like me, I also recommend a very practical A-Z guide called "The Pocket Parent" that is written only for parents of 2-5 year olds. This literally pocketsized book is not written in paragraphs, but rather sanity saving bullets of quick read tips and examples often including the exact words to try. It is organized alphabetically by behavior topic (anger, biting, gimmes, hitting, listening, lying, morning crazies, whining, etc) and can quickly suggest a strategy at a moments notice. I refer to these 2 compatible books again and again. I am pleased with the increase of cooperation from my kids as well as the general feeling of well-being in my household.(...of course, that's on a good day!...My kids are normal and often quite challenging!)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are a parent, this book is for you!, Nov. 22 2003
L. Potter "SLP" (North Alabama) - See all my reviews
If you are not a proponent of Attachment Parenting, I encourage you to read this book. If you are already an "attached parent", simply draw wisdom, sit back and enjoy.
In short, The Sears explain why it works. With more than 3 decades of parenting experience of their 8 children, the Sears offer their tried and true wisdom on how to have a well disciplined child.
With humor, insight and personal experiences from their home, the Sears cover all aspects of parenting. This books helps parents give their child the tools to grow to be a well disciplined individual. And it is all done with simplicity, common sense and love.
Regardless of the age of your child or your current parenting methods, this book is for you! Don't be mislead by the title, this book is not about punishment. It is about teaching discipline and self control in a nurturing, loving environment.
Give your child a head start in life. Get this book. Share it with your spouse. It will change your whole idea of parenting and discipline. And, it really works!

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be helpful in certain situations., March 22 1998
By A Customer
We bought this book because the reviews called it "essential" but we found it to be useless when we tried to put its ideas into practice. The authors do detail problems and offer solutions but their advice is actually quite vague. We bought the book to try to get some help but following the advice in the book just made us frustrated. They don't have suggestions for people like us, whose discipline issues aren't as pat as those in the book. For parents who are starting out, this might be a helpful book to read but for us, whose problems are more established, the book really wasn't any help at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars I WANTED to like this book, March 25 2004
By A Customer
but it offered no real practical advice beyond common sense approaches. Plus, Sears et al seemed to believe that if you practice their attachment parenting approach you should avoid all disipline problems. Well, that's not terribly realistic.
I really loved the Baby Book and often purchase it for my new mommy friends, but this book won't be part of my recommended reading list.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd hoped, May 24 2001
Since I had bought and loved "The Baby Book," i tried the Discipline book, hoping to get some good ideas on how to discipline my then-2 year old. I was very disappointed in this book. Most of the book seems like a glorified autobiography on how wonderful Dr. Sears and Martha are at raising their kids. And the book lacks any real advice. Most of the advice is "start out connected to your child and then you will know how to handle trantrums/hitting/biting/screaming."

1.0 out of 5 stars I really disliked this book . . ., July 9 2004
J. Droeger (mid-west) - See all my reviews
I have to agree with the negative views posted here. I wanted to add my review to help balance out the numerous positive reviews.
I too consider myself an "attached" parent - I nursed both my girls for at least one year each (while working full time) and work very hard to be an effective parent even though I'm not home with them every day. As other reviewers have said, this book does the attached parenting thing to death. It more than implies that if you're an attached parent, you'll simply know what it is your child wants or needs and if you don't know, you must not really be an "attached" parent. In my experience, that isn't reasonable - no matter how good a parent you are, there are times when you simply aren't going to understand what your child wants. That's ok! The real world does not revolve around our little darlings, no matter how much we'd like it to.
The advice to simply and gently "redirect" a toddler from something he or she wants is totally laughable if you have a toddler like I did who does not understand the subtlety of a gentle redirection! In the real world, children need both negative and positive reinforcement to learn right from wrong and safe from unsafe. This book misses the mark by a mile in that respect.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you aren't AP, don't get this book!, Jan. 27 2004
By A Customer
If you didn't breastfeed or carry your child around almost 24/7 in infancy don't get this book. I had never heard of attachment parenting and didn't get this book until my oldest was 3. Wow, talk about trying to make you feel like crap. This is not the book for parents of older toddlers who are at their wits ends and want to read a book about discipline. Get something else, but don't waste your money on this. Unless of course you are a hardcore AP person and you believe everything Dr.Sears says.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential book in a detachment oriented culture., Aug. 28 1999
By A Customer
I wish all of Dr. Sears books would be prenatal prerequisites and parting gifts at the hospitals! There is scientific evidence,personal experience, and genuine caring. Indeed,in an ideal world we would all be parented this way- people would value people over things.We have attachment parented our daughter by responding to her cues from day one in terms of nursing,crying,sharing sleep,holding and simply doing what feels humane. Zoe is almost three and this approach has truly helped me to know my child and has served as the foundation for effective discipline which is simply guidance, whether firm or gentle,it is setting limits,and correctng and redirecting. When you have done this from the beginning, "discipline" isn't something that you do all of a sudden now that they are a toddler. Talking to her early on and explaining things and having age appropriate expectations builds trust- this makes for a more harmonious relationship overall and quite an asset for there are days and weeks that are just hard- there are certainly challenges to being an "at home" parent-even with a great natured toddler,I believe that all of the Sears' books have affirmed the value that I have on the attachment process in the first three years of life.Attachment parenting is an investment.Our society wants independence and quick fixes where children our concerned: let someone else parent them,leave them to cry,spank,scream,ignore.These methodst have grave long term consequences-a good reason to buy this book! Read this book.

CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27