5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!
Loved it! Great book, well written and filled with useful information! It normalized everything I was going through, truly a great read for anyone with a high need baby. Love Dr.Sears and Martha!!
Published 2 months ago by catherine ricci

3.0 out of 5 stars If in need of expert validation, this is for you...
Published on May 3 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars If in need of expert validation, this is for you..., May 3 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book thinking it would be nice to be able to relate to parents who had experienced these 'types' of babies (I am very wary of the term 'high need') - that perhaps they would offer some new insights or approaches I hadn't thought of. What I didn't buy it for was outside or expert validation from being criticised by family and friends for not letting my baby cry it out... I am not the type to need outside validation. Additionally, there are one too many references to God which put me off, advice like 'let go, let God' just isn't my cup of tea, but to each his own. While this book is good for mothers who doubt themselves and their own instincts as it provides the necessary 'expert,' outside validation some new mothers may desire, it is a shame we need expert validation in the first place. It doesn't take an obsessive number of kids and a PHD to be an expert parent, you only need your own baby. Rather than spending money on such advice (ie validation), perhaps you might consider just telling yourself what this book is saying at much greater length, only in four simple words: 'your instincts are right.' but you probably already knew that anyway.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for nursing babies - less so for bottle-feeders, April 12 2014
This review is from: The Fussy Baby Book: Parenting Your High-Need Child From Birth to Age Five (Paperback)
This book is really written from the perspective of a dad whose wife nursed all their babies so most of the advice starts with nursing. If you have to formula-feed your baby there's not a lot of useful advice on soothing etc. And the bulk of the book is about the infant stage - not so much about the toddler years which is where we are. It did help me to come to terms with the fact that my second child is just quite different from my first and rather than fight her and try to turn her into an "easy" baby I need to just recognize that she needs more from me - more touch, more attentiveness, etc. - and I just have to go with it because it's only for a short time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, Feb. 6 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A high need baby and stressed out parents., May 13 2010
Jenneke Francke "nanny1" (Vancouver BC) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my daughter and son in law and their fussy baby.
As an RN I know how stressed parents get with a baby with high needs. This book is very encouraging and gives them a lot of hints and explains why some kids are different.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not terribly impressed, June 20 2004
By A Customer
This book should have been called "The Attachment Parenting Book for Parents Who Would Not Have Read a Book On Attachment Parenting If They Knew That's What It Was Before They Started."
On a more practical note, most of the suggestions they had were not successful with my little one. He has mellowed out as he has gotten past the newborn stage, and we have figured out through simple trial and error what he wants. Your mileage may vary, however. Take the advice for what it's worth.

5.0 out of 5 stars My High Needs Baby is Now a Happy Six Year Old, April 25 2004
As a first time mom I was dismayed when my baby cried all of the time and only seemed somewhat less miserable in my arms. He wanted, no needed to be touched all of the time. He nursed a lot, and slept very little. He had colic for SIX months and I think I cried along with him every day.
We went to the doctor but there was nothing physically wrong with him. I felt like it was our fault,that we were doing something wrong. Until I found this book and bought it out of sheer frustration.
Thank goodness for this book and for the Sears! Finally, someone who understood what we were going through. Finally, someone who gave solid advice and ideas for how to deal with the situation. Not to break the baby of his behaviors, but how to deal with them, diffuse them, roll with them and help him grow. I was able to get past the feelings of guilt and failure and be a better parent to the baby we had.
As time went by, he slowly grew out of the high needs behavior and now he's a happy, spirited six year old who brings us joy every day. Fortunately, our second wasn't high needs and slept through right away but he's now a very spirited toddler, so I have used this book again, as a reference.
For people who expect every word in this book to apply to them evenly, I think you'll be disappointed, that isn't what a reference book is or does. This book will help you in many ways but not everything will be applicable to every single thing, nor is it supposed to make you feel bad if you don't do every single thing they suggest.
It's a great reference for those parents who are at their wits' end in dealing with a high needs baby and I am so very glad I found it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sanity Saver, July 28 2003
K. Melendez-alhaug (Oslo Norway) - See all my reviews
I love this book! I got it in excellent condition and I got a lot of ideas. So far they have been working on my high need child. I would recommend this book to anyone in the same situation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, May 14 2003
By A Customer
Don't read this book if you don't practice "Attachment Parenting". It has no help for you if you don't subscribe to the Sears way. I also prefer "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp. The methods in Dr. Karp's book worked WONDERS!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is such a relief!, Jan. 25 2003
"sfmomma" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I read through this book whenever I start thinking, 'What is going on with my baby?!' It always helps me to put things in perspective and remember that I'm certainly not the only one out there with a baby who isn't "easy" (if there is such a thing...). The Sears' don't offer many quick solutions, but they do let you know that "fussy" babies can be wonderful and that it's important to accept them and the work that needs to go into them. If you're looking to train your baby to be "good," skip this book. But if you want help in developing a close positive relationship, this book is the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dicipline Book, Jan. 23 2003
I have allways called this book "My Parenting Bible". That's what I think the title should be!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›