Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

on March 27, 2005
This book will help many a shy adult as well as people of all ages with Asperger's Syndrome. This book is an excellent navigational tool in decoding the Tacit Social Codes & Rules. Asperger's Syndrome, which is in the autism spectrum includes a lack of intuitive knowledge of these Social Codes & Rules and their accompanying skills. This book reaches people on the spectrum on the cognitive level and helps many to compensate cognitively for what is lacked intuitively.
I like the way it empowers parents and educators to realize that not everybody can just approach a peer and make an instant friend. Relying on tired cliches such as constant reassurance at best or criticism/blame at worst, the book acts as a "how to" in order to improve social skills. No promises are made and encouragement is given instead. Had this book existed when I was a child, much sorrow and shame might have been avoided. Compassion is the tone of the book and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
If I could give this book a higher rating, I would cheerfully do so.
on September 15, 2003
I was relieved to find concrete explanations and helpful strategies in this book. Those of us with kids who just don't seem to form the right relationships, can benefit from the real world application of the authors' knowledge. I have already tried some of the ideas for learning games and subtle suggestions , to good effect. It feels good to take some action to help my child fit in without feeling like I am interfering.
on September 15, 2003
I loved this book! Its so gentle yet practical. I have two boys and the ideas in the book were helpful for both of them. I also recognized some of the issues I struggled with as a child. The advice in the book was even helpful to me!