Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on March 22, 2004
Martin Fowler is a brand name for lucid ("UML distilled"), maturity enhancing ("Refactoring" for the practical side and the great "Analysis Patterns" for the modeling side) top notch books for software professionals. This book even has on its front cover a label telling us it is a "Martin Fowler Signature Book". This book was a disappointment. In the introduction Fowler claims much less. This book should be merely "useful". It is much better than that. It is good.
So what is the problem? The title is misleading. It is about patterns, but not really about enterprise applications. I am not in the subject of enterprise applications. I never ever have touched a program like SAP or a language like COBOL. But I encountered nearly every problem addressed in the patterns. Even the money class has corresponding problems in other fields: a Voltage has both a value and a unit. Also having complaints about the fact that 3 times 33% are less than 100% are always common.
What is this book about? It is basically about problems you have in moderately big applications. How do you connect a relational database with its structure and transactionality to a system, especially an object-oriented system (but not only)? And how do you connect to the user interface, especially a web interface. Also it contains a lot of useful small patterns at the end. As you can see: a lot of valuable stuff for many people. Yes and you get the deep judgments and fine humor of Martin Fowler too.
What is the main problem? This book is not really suited for actual reading. It contains an introductory part of a hundred and a reference part of four hundred pages. The introduction part is annoying to read. It is at the same time too simple (Some knowledge of relational databases should be a requirement for this book, and much more...) and too difficult (An extremely lot of forward references to patterns described later in this book). Also a lot of stuff is in the most trivial sense repeated within a few pages distance only. And it is repeated down to the wording of the individual sentences.
The reference part is a lot better. It gets better to read the further along you already read. The number of forward references gets less along the way. I liked especially the last part about base patterns. As their name already says they should have been much more to the beginning of the book.
This book contains an excellent book within it, just waiting to be "refactored" out of this collection of valuable thoughts. I firmly believe that Martin Fowler is well suited to do this refactoring job. I do sincerely hope that he does it for the next edition of the book. Most of the work is already invested and the result would be very valuable for many people. It is possible to write excellent and readable books about patterns as for example Buschmann et al in "Pattern Oriented Software Architecture" showed.
on February 20, 2003
I agree wholeheartedly with an above post which pointed out that the subject material is mostly known to the average enterprise developer. I am at best an average developer and found I'd already thought of much of this stuff myself.
One thing I would like to add is that this book was still excellent reading and skimming through the patterns sparked my creative energies. I find that when I read through it, even if I 'know' the patterns already, it helps me explore their organization and consequences.
I was disappointed that I wasn't blown away with helpful new concepts, but quite happy with my purchase all the same. Buy this if you want a thorough guide to EAA and maybe some enjoyable afternoon reading.
(The following was added about 2 months after the original review) After owning this book for awhile, I've found it more and more indispensible. My original review, above, mentions that few of the concepts seem new, however, now that I've read it more thoroughly and applied some of the concepts, I don't think that 'mind-blowing originality' is what I should have been looking for.
Fowler's 'Refactoring' is another example of a great book without any stunningly original concepts. Like Refactoring, PEAA can serve as a great guide to page through when you're stuck on a project and need to review your options.
on March 13, 2003
I've enjoyed reading Martin Fowler other books. I've enjoyed this one as well. I did have a hard time reading this book at first because of the organization of the book. The book starts with discussions about patterns and their trade-offs. I was familiar with the architectures presented, but I was not familiar with the pattern nomenclature that was being used. I was easily thrown off track because of that. Luckily, Martin Fowler's web site ... has a nice catalog of the patters with short summaries that helped me understand the definition of the pattern name. After spending 1/2 an hour on his site, that the discussions were easily understandable and enlightening.
With that said, I'm disappointed at the structure of this book. I would expect the definitions of the patterns to appear up front, and the discussions to appear after the pattern definitions.
on May 19, 2003
This is certainly a very good reading about building enterprise applications. I like that the author gives samples for the most currently used software platforms, such as Java and .NET. Anyway, the author treats more the specifics of Java than those of .NET, and that shows the patterns he discusses don't always have such a general applicability. A certain thing not well covered is related to the table module. I have a compelling question about it and if any readers of the book are willing to help me with that, please let me know. I suppose questions aren't to be posted in a book review.
To conclude, I liked reading the book and I'm sure it's worth the money.
on November 10, 2013
In this book, Fowler defines the standards that all programmers should know. These design patterns are used every day in real world applications and he makes a lot of valid points and guidelines to follow when programming. This is an essential book in my opinion for any programmer, especially J2EE developers.
on November 27, 2015
Many of these patterns are now baked into frameworks but this is still a great book if you want to know why these patterns where developed in the first place.