5.0 out of 5 stars An indispensible reference
Published on June 15 2004 by Dinah Sanders

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably still the best out there, but...
Published on Aug. 23 2003 by felicitaz

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably still the best out there, but..., Aug. 23 2003
This review is from: HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart Guide (Paperback)
...someone without any experience of HTML or web design might find this successor to Castro's HTML 4 overwhelming. I'm teaching an introduction to web design course & using it as a textbook, but have decided to skip over Chapter 1 because of the barrage of jargon...not a good way to ease students into the subject! Does a complete novice need to know in Chapter 1 the distinctions between inherited CSS styles, selectors, specificity, class, id, etc., when CSS aren't even dealt with until Chapter 8?
"HTML 4" was easier to get into & better-paced, I think. However, that said, this is probably the best book available for getting a grip on XHTML & CSS, generally clear and thorough.

5.0 out of 5 stars An indispensible reference, June 15 2004
I was just asked what was the most interesting tech-related book I've read in the last year and I had to say it was the 5th edition of Elizabeth Castro's Visual QuickStart Guide to HTML. It might not seem inspiring in and of itself, but it's so good I have a copy at home and at work always within arm's reach of my keyboard. It's brilliantly designed (the format of the Visual Quickstart Guides is excellent), extensively indexed, succinct, readable, reliable about warning of browser quirks and incompatibilities, and best of all, so far as I have seen in the 5th edition, error-free.
Sometimes simple usability and reliability is better than all the flashy stuff in the world, especially when it makes it easy for you to understand and apply the really huge potential of XHTML and CSS. I recommend it to anyone who writes HTML, particularly those making the transition from HTML 4.0 to XHTML and those learning CSS. What's best about it? You can pick it up, get the answer you need and get on with your web design fast. If you're getting a reference book everything rests on your ability to find the answer and quickly undestand the answer so you can apply it. This book is a stellar example of just that principle.
For those just learning HTML and CSS you may wish to also use another more wordy guide to get you started, but I suspect this is the one you'll still be using (and continually buying the new edition of) years down the road.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required textbook for my Web Page Scripting class, May 8 2004
I was forced to buy this book for a class and I learned so much. The format is very easy to understand and follows a logical path. Things get more complex but it is always explained in plain english (which is more than I can say about my instructor).
I had some previous knowledge of HTML but not nearly enough to be described as competent. The best part of this book is that the HTML code for whatever you are trying to learn is included in it's entirety in its own column on every page.
Thanks for making an easy to follow HTML book, Elizabeth Castro!

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not a beginner's book, I know I am a programmer., May 2 2004
By A Customer
I wasted my money on this book. It says it is a beginner book;
but it is definitly not!!! Sorry, but I would like to give it
a good rating, but I just can't. In the first few pages it
jumps in to complexity. I read more to see if it was getting
better, but it got worse. I did find a good book for begginer's.
They are out there. I am surprised that the preface for this says
it is for beginner's. Number 1 best seller? Maybe I should write
a book then!! This book is a reference book, not a beginner's!
Trust me. I could go on and on, but if you are a beginner, all I can say is do not get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars HTML Excellence, Feb. 3 2006
This is one of the best books out there on HTML. I have been a fan since HTML 4.0 came out. There is not too much NOT covered in this book. A person could become a pro at designing web pages with this information. This author will be on my list ALL the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely Done!, Sept. 15 2005
Yasir (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
I had almost no HTML experience prior to reading this text. Its an excellent book and I'm now very confident in my abilities with HTML and CSS.
I can't say I'm an expert of course, the book explains important HTML and CSS concepts, but practice makes perfect. Explore and try out your own sites.
To get the most out of this text, I think you'll need to also dig a bit deeper to check out reference information (some information included appendix of text, and possibly check out w3.org) as well as the website for the book itself. The book has some links to other sites which I think have good examples to study from.
Also, there are tons of useful tips on which features aren't correctly supported by certain browsers, most of the time by microsft (big surprise there).
Some of the chapters on Javascript, and CGI information isn't great, but its not really the purpose of the book. Its really a bonus that theres at least some introduction for other technologies you can explore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me survive a college web class, June 25 2004
Amy (Missoula, MT) - See all my reviews
This book is extremely helpful for those who, like myself, are easily confused and boggled by web help books that assume genius level readers. Using this book as a reference is its most valuable assest to me...it's so easy to look a topic up and find info on it. And the website they give you to see the examples from the book posted live is a big help as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Clear, and easy!, June 1 2004
Let's face it, HTML isn't exactly rocket science. And this book gave it exactly the treatment it deserves: clear, easy to understand examples that show you what to do and what the results will be. If you are looking for a handy reference that won't break the bank or the bookshelf, this is the one. The coverage of CSS and XHTML standards was excellent, allowing me to go from absolutely no knowledge of CSS to writing my websites using style sheets rather than old-school formatting. If you are into the old-school stuff, it's in there for you, as well as a chapter on WML, for all you early adopters out there.
My only complaint is that sometimes in the CSS chapters it was hard to tell if the code snippets were coming from the style sheet or from the HTML document, but once I got the hang of it that all made more sense. On the whole I would definitely reccomend this book to any beginner or intermediate programmer who wants to learn clean, standards-based (X)HTML.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!, May 8 2004
By A Customer
I can't recommend this book enough. I ended up getting as a few local colleges use it as a text for their courses. I did a self study using the book alone and I found it very clear in its explanations as well as very knowledgeable on HTML standards. The author refers to lots of resources for validating her explanations and providing greater detail.
The standardization was a big issue for me. I appreciated that she used Windows, Mac, IE and Netscape examples. I was amazed how different browsers can do different things and how following standards can give the web creator control regardless of browser used. A bit of an eye opener for me to say the least. HTML can be more than what works in IE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good HTML Introduction, Very Good Value., May 3 2004
By A Customer
Pro: Direct & to the point. Clean code as far as I could tell. A fast read. I really appreciate that.
Con: It is not complete but does not claim to be complete. The printed examples are reduced so far that a magnifying glass was needed (All in the VQG series are like that.) There are no tutorial examples to work through.
Unlike Patrick Carey's book, this one is worth your time and money if you want to start learning HTML/XHTML.

HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart Guide
HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart Guide by Elizabeth Castro (Paperback - Sept. 27 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.38