5.0 out of 5 stars Every graphic designer needs this book!
Published on Sept. 29 2000 by aquarius

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written, maybe. Crammed full of knowledge, hardly.
Yet another book from Adobe Publishing, toting their own horn. (it should be no surprise that any reference made to a DTP program is made to PageMaker, and not Quark), but that's just Adobe propaganda, easily ignored. Informative, yes, but I think somone forgot to proofread the thing.
If it were a 'class room in a book' that's one thing, but being a 'print...
Published on Aug. 10 2000 by P. Kuo

5.0 out of 5 stars Every graphic designer needs this book!, Sept. 29 2000
aquarius (Naperville, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This book was better than I had ever expected! I am a recent graduate and working in graphic design, and throughout school they never taught us much about pre-press. Now that I have to send my jobs to a commercial printer I realized that there was a lot that I had to learn. This book is great - it has interesting graphics and is set up in a way that makes it easy to read. It is a great tool for the beginner who needs to learn more about pre-press and printing issues, as well as the experienced designer for whom this would make an excellent resource book. It goes through the printing process and explains all aspects of pre-press, including how you should prepare your graphics before sending them off to a commercial printer and what you should leave for them to do for you. It also explains how to cut costs with your projects. I guarantee that no matter what your skill level, this book will become an important piece in your design library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written, maybe. Crammed full of knowledge, hardly., Aug. 10 2000
P. Kuo "Pretty Cool" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
If it were a 'class room in a book' that's one thing, but being a 'print publishing guide', Adobe shouldn't so readily dismiss True Type fonts in preference for PostScript Fonts, Quark for Pagemaker...etc. I know it's an Adobe guide, but com'on, I expected them to give out a fairer treatment than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have for Every Beginner, July 21 1999
By A Customer
Where was this book when I was starting out? This is THE INDISPENSIBLE BOOK for everyone who has bought a copy of Corel Draw or Illustrator or (gad) Publisher and now thinks they are full fledged "desktop publishers." THIS BOOK IS CRAMMED FULL OF KNOWLEDGE that will separate you from the clueless. Buy it. Read it. Memorize it. Then go to your service bureau and learn some more!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful introduction to the printing process!, Jan. 2 1999
A clear and concise overview focusing on the intoductory knowledge needed to prepare documents for publishing - excellent illustrations - a necessary guide for every new Graphic Designer.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... cover different aspects in printing with a lot of good illustration., Dec 1 2014
Joslll (Ontario, Canada (pay Canadian shipping rate rather than US one)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Official Adobe Print Publishing Guide, Second Edition: The Essential Resource for Design, Production, and Prepress (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
This books cover different aspects in printing with a lot of good illustration.

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, March 12 2011
Garmon Sutrix (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I'll probably be one of the few people here who panned this book completely. I was looking to Adobe to provide an in-depth, detailed exposition on the internal workings of the preint-related aspects of their Creative Suite, specifically a detailed discussion around colour management across the suite of applications. Instead, I got a high-level overview of the printing industry: stuff that anyone who's worked in the field for any significant amount of time would already know. If I wanted a book on the print industry, on types of presses, on paper stocks and dot gain, I would look to any number of great titles that have been out for years.

If I'm buying a book published by Adobe Press, it's for one reason: I want specific insights into Adobe software. This book was a complete waste of time.

All that having been said, if you're a new graduate or someone who's come up through the digital ranks and doesn't have a clue about the production side of things, then this is a decent overview, and you'll no doubt have a completely different experience of the title than I did. If on the other hand, you're looking for a deep dive into how Adobe has tackled the intricacies of prepress, colour management, profiles, calibration and workflow, you won't find it here.