Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 22, 2010
It's a very stimulating book for creative people working in design and communications. And also for clients needing brand consultancy. I'm a graphic designer, and a couple years ago, I was afraid by this word, "branding", ouuuuuuaaaa[...] This is a great book to reconciliate yourself with branding or to have a better understanding of what it really is. Well written, well illustrated, short and sweet, it scores a perfect 5/5 for me.
on April 18, 2004
Those who characterize The Brand Gap is a primer are missing the point. While the book does condense and clarify many existing theories of branding, it contributes one huge idea that has never been adequately addressed---namely, that unless strategy is connected to customer delight, there IS no brand. There's just a great business strategy that no one can see, or else there's a feel-good image that isn't based on business reality. Either extreme leads eventually to brand failure. In addition to the core idea of this book, I found a number of subordinate ideas that seem extremely fresh in the marketing world: the changing requirements for trademarks and identities, the collaborative brand-building model, and the need for Chief Brand Officers to coordinate the work, to name a few. The book may seem simple, but its simplicity is deceptive. I loved it so much that I attended one of Neumeir's workshops and was not disappointed. Both the book and the workshop are perfect examples of branding in action. They're different, collaborative, innovative, tested, and they lead to sustainable business success. Great stuff.
on February 25, 2003
One of the keys to see if a book you are considering to read is worth buying is by seeing how long it is. If a book is a 1000 pages long then it can't be that good. The author figured if he can't say anything new he/she might as well say everything he/she knows. Most of the best books I have read have been very short. One of the top 10 books I have ever read is called "The Brand Gap" by Marty Neumeier. A 157 page book that if written in small type that you would find in your traditional paperback novel the book would not even fill 50 pages. The author was such a good communicator, not like myself :-), that he did not need anything more then 157 pages. He taught me all the theory there is to know about Branding in approximately four hours. You know he is a good marketer/brander/writer when after reading it I not only wanted to start reading it from the beginning again but I started to make a list of people who I wanted to buy the book for. I highly recommend this book to anyone from any field that wants to learn about branding .
on July 28, 2003
Can't fully explain the concept of brand to your clients? Now you can. Neumeier has made it easy for designers and clients. The book jumpstarts by detailing what brand is and isn't. Then it launches into the five disciplines of branding. The book states on the cover that it's only an overview. This is true, however, Brand Gap condenses enough wisdom in here to clearly define brand, show you why brand is more important than ever in today's economy, and more importantly, how its power can be harnessed (for good, not evil). I especially appreciated his thoughts on design & packaging and their impact on brand/brand awareness. You can save the ink in your highlighter -- every word is a gem. "Brand is not what you say it is. It's what THEY say it is."
on July 6, 2003
This book defies categorization. It's a business book, but it's designed and illustrated like an art book. It's thoroughly grounded in research, but you can read the whole book in an afternoon. Clearly, none of these traits is an accident. Neumeier is using the book to demonstrate one of the tenets of his thesis: When companies combine the "logic" of strategy with the "magic" of creativity, they find that "1+1=11". What's reassuring about THE BRAND GAP is its insistence that branding is not about building a facade to hoodwink the hapless customer, but embedding respect for the customer at every level of the company. I bought this book to read on the plane, and as I boarded I saw two other people with the same book!
on July 10, 2004
A good book is one that not only provides an interesting read, but gets you off the dime to DO something. Our company is large (40,000 employees)and we had ahuge gap between business and brand. After reading this book, my team and I re-org'd our company around the "superteam" model of brand building. Now we have cross-deparmental collaboration, plus a stable of small, best of breed external firms to give us some creative horsepower. The left brain's finally connected to the right brain, to quote Neumeier's phrase. We use the book to introduce new hires to the brand concept, then follow up with training on our own brand. This is the book that got us going. I recommend it to anyone who wants to incite change in their organization.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Finally, a book that slices like a hot knife through all of the turgid, pseudo-academic nonsense that surrounds branding. Neumier provides clear, unforgetable object lessons in a compelling, beautifully designed format. Students of branding will not find a better, more inspiring primer on this subject. Bravo to Mr. Neumier for using his unique career experience in design and business to provide the kind of compelling read that was long overdue in this arena. It has been placed on the course list for my graduate students and each new member of my team at Ogilvy recieves it alongside their other training materials.
I wish I had written it myself.
on January 25, 2003
I am completely enamoured with the style and content of Neumeier's new book and am recommending it to all of my clients! Having worked in the flavor and fragrance industry for my entire career I find this to be the perfect vehicle to explain one of the most powerful aspects of flavor and fragrance application in consumer products, packaging, and advertising - multi-dimensional and multi-sensory brand building! Neumeier's treatise is just too short not be read and enjoyed and applied to modern consumer product development and management! Trout and Ries; and now Neumeier to add meaning to it all! YEE haw!
on July 3, 2004
The Brand Gap picks up where Trout and Ries leave off. It gets into areas that traditional marketing and positioning books fear to tread, namely the role of aesthetics in building brands. As a 30-year veteran of Madison Avenue, I've learned the hard way that it doesn't matter how great your strategy is---it's execution PLUS strategy that moves products. Neumeier is one of the first to recognize this simple but elusive truth. It's enough to give one hope for the future of the marketing business. For that matter, for the future of business. Period.
on July 10, 2003
I came upon The Brand Gap in a hurry through Atlanta Hartsfield on the way to catch a plane to Houston.
I read the entire book on that flight. Virtually every point and approach are applicable to my company (a leading publisher). Most of them will wind up in how we go about branding from now on.
Not since Theodore Levitt's Marketing Imagination turned my head completely around (1983) about what marketing is and does, have I encountered such a clear exposition of what is happening and what to do about it.