5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible for Requirements Analysis
Published on Feb. 21 2002 by Ken Quick

2.0 out of 5 stars Who is this book for
This is an academic document of someone who has participated on the process of gathering requirements.
The detail of every chapter, the context of the user, roles, the things to consider, the tips, the relations to other systems, the different kinds of requirements, the guides, the testing, all is there and complete. But it belongs to the classroom.
I was...
Published on June 13 2001 by Javier

2.0 out of 5 stars Who is this book for, June 13 2001
Javier "javier_m" (Mexico, D.F. Mexico) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a book that I can lend to the people in my organization so we can improve in our actual development process. There are no tips on how to use formats like the Use Case, it does not even appear on any page. Nor does it show the actual deliverables to the analysis and development team or suggestions on traceability for testing on the final product.
The writer has taken care on keeping things open so people could discuss, improve or use alternate approaches. But software development needs standards and method, there are no suggestion on how you can improve on these.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible for Requirements Analysis, Feb. 21 2002
Ken Quick (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have been in the IT industry for 20 years and this is by FAR the best book on the Requirements Analysis process I've every seen. I've had it since it first came out, and have used the Volere process to successfully run several software development projects. They were all successful. Both the Design and Test teams LOVED the resultant Requirements Specification because they knew exactly what to code and exactly what to test to prove the requirements were met. My only complaint is that it takes a lot longer to document a Spec. to this degree of detail, but if you can convince "the powers that be" to take the time to do it, it will save a lot of time and expensive re-writes later.
Even if you don't use the Volere method to write your specs., it's worth the read for the knowledge gained on the analysis process itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a keeper!, March 9 2002
R. Jones (Round Rock, Tx USA) - See all my reviews
Wary of "star inflation?" Me too, yet this book gets five stars from me.
A very readable book, <i>Mastering...</i> gave me concrete guidelines for a topic that seems too nebulus at times. I read this book at the same time I was doing requirements gathering for a relatively simple project. This book caused me to make *specific* changes to our requirments document template and ask our customers questions I wouldn't have otherwise.
I think this book has just right amount of depth and detail to be read "in isolation" (of other books or prior experience) and help one do a competent job of requirements gathering. However, you the reader must do your part.
You'll have to cogitate just a little! Requirements gathering is thoughful process, not a science with rigid algorithms. There is no pretentious scientification in this book. And yes, "use case" is not given much more than a simple definition (although the concept is fundamental to the authors' process); but how many books do I need to read on <i>Use Case</i> to understand that a customer's business process can be divided into logical or physical modules, each of which in turn can be divided...
This book will give the novice what (s)he needs to actually do requirements gathering; and it definitely gave me points to ponder when doing my project. You won't be an expert after reading this book any more than you'll be a pro golfer after reading a book by Tiger Woods. Practice makes perfect! Reading this book is an <i>excellent</i> way to learn <i>what</i> to practice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Project preparation for the clueless, Feb. 28 2001
Sune Ulf Hansen (Copenhagen, København Ø Denmark) - See all my reviews
A little background information before I begin: I ordered this book for a specific project - specifying generic computer application non functional requirements for my coorporation. The book does not claim to be useful in the particular area, but I took a chance and bought it anyway.
That being said, I found it surprisingly useless. The language is chatty, repetitive and at worst, tiresome. The illustrations are numerous and large, some of them helpful, others not.
The information and toolset given in this book are quite sound, but I must admit that I had expected something, that went beyond what I was taught as a computer science freshman some 10 years ago sprinkled with a bit of common sense.
I cannot say wheter this book might not be great for other purposes, but from a computer science perspective, the useful information amounts to something that would fit in a thin pamphlet.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is terrific!, Aug. 28 2000
Tony Stewart (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This is not only the best book on requirements gathering that I've found, it is one of the best books on *any* aspect of software development that I've ever read. It is clear, focussed, well-written, full of extremely powerful concepts, and illustrated with useful examples and formal models of all aspects of the requirements gathering process and requirements-related information. As a result, I not only gained tremendous insight into how to improve the requirements gathering process at our company, I also learned by clear example how to make best use of each of the modeling formalisms the authors recommend.
I've never written an on-line review before, but this book was so superior that I felt I had to take the time and share my enthusiasm. I hope you find it as valuable in your projects as we are finding at our company.

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete methodology, Sept. 8 2003
Karen C. Mendoza "Karen Mendoza" (El Salvador) - See all my reviews
This is a must read book if you are involved in the software lifecycle process. The book is suited for both experts and novices in the requirements elicitation process. It contains the concepts, the process, and a "quality gateway" complement. The resulting specifications document is complete enough. It isn't an abstract book, but a practical one that follows a sample case from its conception to the final document delivery to the project management team (though it doesn't contains project management concepts). There are a few ambiguous sections in the proposed document, but they aren't an obstacle for its implementation. Additional documentation and tools are available on Volere's web site.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've used for in several projects now., Feb. 17 2000
This is the best book on requirements gathering I have ever read. When I finished it, I asked for and received the authors' permission to use the Volere template for a couple of test cases in my job (I specialize in requirements gathering) and have used it for one very large and another very famous client, with excellent results. While it doesn't especially lend itself to Internet projects, it significantly cuts down the time it takes me to gather requirements, and adds a level of consistency to the requirements documents my colleagues and I produce. Definitely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, effective and usable how-to manual!, Sept. 2 1999
By A Customer
This excellent treatment of the requirements process provides practical, step-by-step guidance. Given the impact of requirements specification on the success or failure of software products, the value of this timely book is tremendous. The generous examples supply the necessary concreteness for individuals and organizations to put the specific process into practice. Essential reading should also include a general requirements text, such as "Exploring Requirements" by Gause and Weinberg, before or in parallel with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book on requirements !, Dec 16 1999
Christophe Addinquy (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
For my own opinion, the best book on requirements! Even if it is based on Gause & Weinberg work on "exploring requirement", this book is about a very well formalized and described process for requirements. On each step, activities and artifacts are explained and true guidelines help you to achieve the work. Last but not least, you get two book in one: a user guide and a reference manual. If you had to build requirements (even with UML, like me), choose this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cogent and complete overview of the Volere method, May 11 2002
frumiousb "frumiousb" (Amsterdam, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
The title of the review says it all. I don't keep very many of my business books, but this one is clearly a keeper. They not only include the entire template for the Volere method, they do a good job of explaining the most difficult portions. I had the experience that whenever I had a question, it would be answered within pages of popping into my head. Also full of excellent recommendations for further reading.

Mastering the Requirements Process (2nd Edition)
Mastering the Requirements Process (2nd Edition) by James C. Robertson (Hardcover - March 17 2006)
CDN$ 78.99