5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible for Requirements Analysis
Published on Feb. 21 2002 by Ken Quick

2.0 out of 5 stars Who is this book for
This is an academic document of someone who has participated on the process of gathering requirements.
The detail of every chapter, the context of the user, roles, the things to consider, the tips, the relations to other systems, the different kinds of requirements, the guides, the testing, all is there and complete. But it belongs to the classroom.
I was...
Published on June 13 2001 by Javier

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible for Requirements Analysis, Feb. 21 2002
Ken Quick (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have been in the IT industry for 20 years and this is by FAR the best book on the Requirements Analysis process I've every seen. I've had it since it first came out, and have used the Volere process to successfully run several software development projects. They were all successful. Both the Design and Test teams LOVED the resultant Requirements Specification because they knew exactly what to code and exactly what to test to prove the requirements were met. My only complaint is that it takes a lot longer to document a Spec. to this degree of detail, but if you can convince "the powers that be" to take the time to do it, it will save a lot of time and expensive re-writes later.
Even if you don't use the Volere method to write your specs., it's worth the read for the knowledge gained on the analysis process itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book for mastering requirements process, March 14 2013
This review is from: Mastering the Requirements Process (2nd Edition) (Hardcover)
I like the way the author presented the requirements process. The content is very helpful for the aspiring BA, practicing BA or for those who wanted to develop more their requirements elicitation skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars No complain, May 24 2012
This book is actually what a business analyst needs. The content is easy to read and understand. The most important is that the book is interesting . Shipping from Amazon is very fast. I really have no complain on it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Who is this book for, June 13 2001
Javier "javier_m" (Mexico, D.F. Mexico) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a book that I can lend to the people in my organization so we can improve in our actual development process. There are no tips on how to use formats like the Use Case, it does not even appear on any page. Nor does it show the actual deliverables to the analysis and development team or suggestions on traceability for testing on the final product.
The writer has taken care on keeping things open so people could discuss, improve or use alternate approaches. But software development needs standards and method, there are no suggestion on how you can improve on these.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, Dec 19 2010
Had to read this for a class. Could not find an alternative copy.
Took ages to be delivered. Hated the book. Its completely useless IMHO.
I do not recommend it. If you need this book for class, I suggest you drop the course...unless its required for your degree.

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete methodology, Sept. 8 2003
Karen C. Mendoza "Karen Mendoza" (El Salvador) - See all my reviews
This is a must read book if you are involved in the software lifecycle process. The book is suited for both experts and novices in the requirements elicitation process. It contains the concepts, the process, and a "quality gateway" complement. The resulting specifications document is complete enough. It isn't an abstract book, but a practical one that follows a sample case from its conception to the final document delivery to the project management team (though it doesn't contains project management concepts). There are a few ambiguous sections in the proposed document, but they aren't an obstacle for its implementation. Additional documentation and tools are available on Volere's web site.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cogent and complete overview of the Volere method, May 11 2002
frumiousb "frumiousb" (Amsterdam, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
The title of the review says it all. I don't keep very many of my business books, but this one is clearly a keeper. They not only include the entire template for the Volere method, they do a good job of explaining the most difficult portions. I had the experience that whenever I had a question, it would be answered within pages of popping into my head. Also full of excellent recommendations for further reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a keeper!, March 9 2002
R. Jones (Round Rock, Tx USA) - See all my reviews
Wary of "star inflation?" Me too, yet this book gets five stars from me.
A very readable book, <i>Mastering...</i> gave me concrete guidelines for a topic that seems too nebulus at times. I read this book at the same time I was doing requirements gathering for a relatively simple project. This book caused me to make *specific* changes to our requirments document template and ask our customers questions I wouldn't have otherwise.
I think this book has just right amount of depth and detail to be read "in isolation" (of other books or prior experience) and help one do a competent job of requirements gathering. However, you the reader must do your part.
You'll have to cogitate just a little! Requirements gathering is thoughful process, not a science with rigid algorithms. There is no pretentious scientification in this book. And yes, "use case" is not given much more than a simple definition (although the concept is fundamental to the authors' process); but how many books do I need to read on <i>Use Case</i> to understand that a customer's business process can be divided into logical or physical modules, each of which in turn can be divided...
This book will give the novice what (s)he needs to actually do requirements gathering; and it definitely gave me points to ponder when doing my project. You won't be an expert after reading this book any more than you'll be a pro golfer after reading a book by Tiger Woods. Practice makes perfect! Reading this book is an <i>excellent</i> way to learn <i>what</i> to practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is Required Reading, Aug. 15 2001
Timothy D. Rohde (Boulder, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This is the best book on requirements gathering and analysis yet written. The authors are practiced at what they preach and inspire an attitude of inquiry that is the soul of the requirements engineering art. Read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good High-Level Book, Aug. 13 2001
Chris O'Leary (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
I like this book because it approaches the "Why" questions of requirements gathering. I see it as a complement and prequel to more practical books like "Writing Effective Use Cases" and "Use Cases: Requirements in Context". This is more of a business analyst book than a technical book.

Mastering the Requirements Process (2nd Edition)
Mastering the Requirements Process (2nd Edition) by James C. Robertson (Hardcover - March 17 2006)
CDN$ 78.99