5.0 out of 5 stars Learned html from scratch, fast!, Sept. 21 2008
This review is from: HTML, XHTML, and CSS, Sixth Edition: Visual QuickStart Guide (6th Edition) (Paperback)
I knew nothing about html or css when I started. I found this "Visual QuickStart Guide" at a specialty reference bookstore in Australia. I spent 45min. that day, thumbing through beginner's web design books and nothing else even came close to this book for clarity and relevance. So off I went with my "QuickStart Guide" and for 2 weeks, I spent evenings & weekends reading this book and trying out code on my computer. Then voila! I had a website! Well... it worked well in different browsers on my PC but it took another 2 weeks to choose a host and get it all online. Still, that was pretty quick. If you haven't programmed at all before, it will probably take a little longer to get going (My previous experience: I did programming in c++ at university, years ago.) but I honestly don't think you'll find a better book for getting started. Once in a while I found a term in the book that wasn't super well explained. I was always able to figure out what it meant though, because the examples & such are so clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Web Comprehensive Book Ever!, Sept. 21 2007
A. Kiyomiya (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Let me say just that I love "Visual Quickstart Guide" books. They have lots of useful examples in different colors. I don't know what I'd do without "Visual Quickstart Guide" books... I'd be probably cleaning someone's house without them.

I bought this book (456 pages) to teach myself CSS because I'm very much familiar with HTML/XHTML. The book had an excellent CSS section as well as good information of multimedia, mobile, RSS, SEO(Search Engine Optimization) and debugging. It wasn't painful to read this book unlike other books I've read (which are too long to list here).

5.0 out of 5 stars Both an excellent reference and How-to!, March 9 2007
My background: did some basic html back in 96/97, then promptly left it alone till 2006. This book got me back on my feet and up to date working with CSS in no time.

It is written with mimimal explaination, and the 2 column layout is easy to read/refer to when either reading it front to back, or just refering back to something you forgot. Also helps cover -some- glitches between browsers that was up to date at the time of printing.

Remeber, any web coding book should always be read while looking at the source code of others online to solidify it in your mind. The only time I had a set back with this book was for floating columns, since what I wanted was nothing like her example. Looking online provided the help I need. But obviously I wouldn't have known what to look for without this book :)

I'd say that it is a very approachable book for the beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding the language, Jan. 7 2010
Alexander Reid "Alex Reid" (Victoria, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I really enjoy reading this book, it has given me a better understanding of the language behind the web page. I think with practice I will be able to write a web page from scratch using this language. I am a beginner at doing web pages and use Dreamweaver CS3 for that purpose. Dreamweaver gives me the opportunity to look at the code while I desgn the pages, and this book helps me to understand what is happening in the code.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Beginners Guide, Jan. 27 2011
tksmediaken (Edmonton, Alberta) - See all my reviews
I used this for my web development class and i found it essential when coming up with web page html codes and learning how to proper code and create good web design. It's not very advanced or technical but it is well worth the price for the beginning stages of web development!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best HTML book out there, Dec 28 2013
A. Shortt "Anime Fan" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Not sure if there is a new version yet but this is my go-to reference for web design. Highly recommended and easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Godd primer, Nov. 25 2013
Sandy "Sandylns" (Halifax Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
If you want to learn HTML this is for you. Walks you through the process with a minimum of fuss. Great for creating your own web site. Not overly scholarly and the author doesn't talk down to you. Good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and great, Oct. 3 2013
It is simple enough for someone completely new to understand and it explains things so well. Thank you so much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, good reference, March 28 2012
This is intended to further confirm what the majority of people have said already. I bought this book based on the positive reviews and 5 star rating and I must say that I am more than satisfied. It assumes no previous knowledge of HTML but goes into great detail explaining proper syntax and redundantly stresses each interlinking aspect of the HTML / XHTML and CSS markup language. The visual examples and the online forum are bonus extra help for understanding what the text explains and it is very possible to have a great looking webpage(s) created and ready for hosting within a day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Aug. 10 2014
nhassam (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
excellence reference material

HTML, XHTML, and CSS, Sixth Edition: Visual QuickStart Guide (6th Edition)
CDN$ 41.99 CDN$ 26.45
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available