5.0 out of 5 stars Everything it promises and more
Published on Oct. 3 2006 by Patrick N. Lamontagne

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad
There are definitely some good tips here. It was a little less in depth than I'd hoped though. I could make it through the whole book in an hour Probably good as a quick reference to keep in the camera bag..
Published 17 months ago by Tbell_1

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything it promises and more, Oct. 3 2006
Patrick N. Lamontagne (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
My wife has just discovered an interest in photography, and she has a natural eye for it, but was lacking the instruction necessary to become better at her own pace. All of my more advanced Photoshop and photo editing books (I'm a professional illustrator and cartoonist) have proven to be quite intimidating for her, as she was just looking to get started without being overwhelmed.

I recently bought her this book and she is thrilled with it. It doesn't treat her like a child and gives her real information she can use. We have a decent point-and-shoot digital camera, and she is looking to get a digital SLR after she learns more about photography. But it's great to see her passionate about digital photography and not so intimidated by it. This book has gone a long way to easing her apprehension.

This book manages to be funny and unpretentious as well as very professional and informative. I've bought a number of Scott Kelby's books and they always hit what they aim at. This one is no exception.

There are many, many digital photography books out there. Start with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for beginner to intermediate photographers, Dec 28 2006
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
As far as my knowledge of photography is concerned, I'd say I'm between a beginner and intermediate.

I've started reading other books on photography, but I've dropped them because they were boring, and I can't stand trying to understand visual things like exposure when there are no pictures to demonstrate what the author is saying. This book is not like that at all. There is at least one picture on every page, and those pictures sum up perfectly what he's been saying.

I can't read for extended periods of time, and I'm not a fast reader, but the night I received this, I read over 70 pages, and after that, I read it every free moment I had.

It's the best book I've ever read on photography, and I would recommend it without a doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, Oct. 20 2006
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
Even if you're not a camera buff or photography wiz, you'll enjoy reading this excellent book. It's not over your head and is filled with excellent advice, put forth in a no-nonsense manner. At times even funny, this is an excellent book for amateurs and professionals alike. While I normally read fiction like THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE, I picked this up on a whim--I'm not sorry and neither will you be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Dec 23 2006
H. Tessier (Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
I just received the book and really enjoyed going through the pages. Excellent book for someone who is just starting and wants to understand how to take pictures the right way. Very simple reading and most of all, the tricks in there are very easy to understand and do.

Thank you. Can't wait to order more books from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect format, Dec 7 2012
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
This book has been great for me. It's to the point and has a tutorial approach which emphasizes on streamlining key tricks of the trade to achieve the desired results in a variety of situations. Works for me. Easy to read and perfect to re-read for specific DP projects. I bought Scott Kelby's 2nd and 3rd volume immediately.
I started to read other DP books and dropped them after a few chapters or skipped huge sections because they overemphasize on making sure every technical aspects are covered before your start playing. Many online articles can cover that with ease. Also, you kinda get the key principals as you go through pages. One page, one project (or photography situation.
With this book it's : Wanna do a portrait indoors? This is how you do it and these are the settings you should have and etc. It seems that it has been written to give hands on advice to make sure you can pull it out in most photography situations like you would call uncle Scott for targeted advice just before shooting. It's written around Nikon and Canon users, but, as a Soney NEX camera owner, I wasn't to lost when playing with recommended settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Sept. 23 2013
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
I love it so much that I gave this copy to my dad and bought myself the box set!! Get the box set!

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it a lot, Aug. 29 2013
MAK (BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
I liked this book. I think there are better books are there for sure but this one is better than most and definitely a book worth reading. It is an easy read and adds a bit of humor into the mix as well. I do recommend it to any photo nut or those just starting out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful and easy to read, July 1 2013
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
Nice to get a photography book that gives you help with subject matter and lighting and shadows and where to focus on different shots, rather than telling you how to use your camera.

The writing can be a little irritating if you don't have his sense or humour but the info has helped a lot. I have gone through it several times, even underlining all the salient points that will help. The chapters are all about different subject matters like portraits, weddings, country, buildings, when to take pictures, where to focus the lens etc.

Helpful to all levels

5.0 out of 5 stars must read for newbies, March 13 2013
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
this book is an awesome resource. Definitely suggest it as a read for anyone buying a DSLR that wants to take better photos. Fast shipping as always.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, March 9 2013

The Digital Photography Book
The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby (Paperback - Aug. 23 2006)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01