5.0 out of 5 stars Everything it promises and more
My wife has just discovered an interest in photography, and she has a natural eye for it, but was lacking the instruction necessary to become better at her own pace. All of my more advanced Photoshop and photo editing books (I'm a professional illustrator and cartoonist) have proven to be quite intimidating for her, as she was just looking to get started without being...
Published on Oct. 3 2006 by Patrick N. Lamontagne

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad
There are definitely some good tips here. It was a little less in depth than I'd hoped though. I could make it through the whole book in an hour Probably good as a quick reference to keep in the camera bag..
Published 16 months ago by Tbell_1

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good and easy-to-read., Jan. 12 2010
Mouse (Chilliwack, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
I recently got my first DSLR (the Nikon D90) and found this book to be the perfect companion for it. I have glanced at a few photography books, but a glance was always as far as I got - they were often too boring, too long-winded and too focused on complicated theory. With 2 small children, my reading time is too brief and valuable to waste on huge intros and over-explanation!

This book helps me get the photos I want without bogging me down in boring theory. It also has some great tips for things like protecting your equipment. The short chapters get to the point quickly, and make a great book to pick up and put down easily. The author's humour also makes this an enjoyable read (even causing the occasional audible chuckle) - not often seen in a reference book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, Dec 9 2009
Suhail Zubaid AHMAD "Suhail Zubaid-Ahmad" (Mississauga, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
I bought my 1st digital SLR camera this year - a Pentax Km. I have always been a Pentax fan, starting from Pentax Super Program back in the 80s. It was difficult to make a transition to digital and when I did, I did it with digital point and shoot - a Pentax Optio W10 with 6 mega pixels in 2006. However, I felt ashamed of myself having only a 6 mega pixel camera when market was offering up to 10 mega pixel alternatives. However, I felt much better when the author advised that forget about mega pixels if you are not in printing, which I am not. Learning from the advice: If you don't use a particular feature of a camera, why bother paying extra money.

The author has a simple format for `friendly advice' on many an aspect of digital photography. The book is organized into sections so that you can easily flip to the chapter and to the specific page offering the tip. Come to think of professional tips, even for an experienced photographer like me, the book has many of them. After reading this book, I have begun carrying it in my camera bag while on a travel and photography trips and reference it every now and then. I feel like the author is standing right beside me talking about how to take care of a particular situation from the point of view of a digital SLR.

After reading the book, I went back to my previous hundreds of digital photographs and discovered that people and I had always liked those photographs the best where I had unintentionally done something in accordance with what the author advises.

The only limitation of the book, if that can be termed a limitation at all, is that the author talks only in terms of his Canon and Nikon. I have a basic Pentax Km (Canada and European designation, Pentax K2000 in USA). This did not bother me a bit, because I found all the features in my camera to my delight. I had not even discovered them before reading the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent photography overview, Jan. 27 2008
D. Margison (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
I have been interested in photography for years but just recently got more serious and want to learn better techniques. I found this book by Scott Kelby to be interesting and informative. Read the entire book in two evenings and have lots of new ideas that I cannot wait to try. The book has just enough humour to keep it interesting. Not a lot of technical stuff, just some cool ideas to try and what better way for an amature to learn. For anyone interested in Photoshop editing, the link to Photo Shop TV is quite interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great intro to the photography world!, June 13 2007
S. Ciampa "sal" (Oak Ridges, Ontario CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
Some people just so ____________. This book is NOT a book for the professional who knows everything about photography.

I'm a newbie to the photography world and this book was awesome! It had alot to say about catching landscapes to shooting weddings. It was a big help and now I have a mucgh clearer and better understanding of the settings found in my camera.

The book offers alot of tips and Scott Kelby is a fantastic auther. I own photoshop books from Scott and they are a big help too. My point is this, Scott makes it easy to read and understand. Pick it up if you want to get started in photography, it's a big help!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Kelby Special, Dec 31 2011
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
Scott Kelbyès books on digital photography are always informative and helpful. I bought this one for a friend who is just starting out in digital photography and already he has benefited from using this book. It explains things in a straightforward manner and is easy to follow. Good product, great price!

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, Nov. 7 2011
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
I love Scott Kelby's books! I got this one awhile back and loved it. he is so good at explaining techniques in a way that you can totally understand! He also doesn't try to sell you expensive equipment and tells you ways to get stuff at affordable prices if you can't afford the expensive stuff. If I remember correctly-he tells you when it is ok to go for cheaper alternatives and when it is important to buy quality stuff because sometimes it really does make a huge difference. his tips are so useful as well. I learned a lot from this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, April 28 2011
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
Although this book is written in the "______ for dummies" style of humour, it is an excellent book. It is easy light reading and hard to put down. I've been taking photos for years but still found that I could learn much from this author's simple tips. Besides, you can't beat the online price! My book is marked "$29.99 in Canada".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Beginning Enthusiast, April 15 2011
Mr. Shaun Hayward (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
For years I've been interested in photography but never managed to get into it. Last year, I bought a bridge camera (Point-and-Shoot with full manual features) and started taking it a little more seriously. This book has proven to be a huge help. Each page is a single piece of helpful advice, generally with a photo that illustrates the point. Practical, down-to-earth, and immediately useful.

A few weeks back, I got my first D-SLR, off-camera flash and some other goodies. This book is even more useful now.

If you're just getting started (even if you think you already know "enough"), get this book (and the other two volumes). They're probably the best "camera accessory" you can buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars the most expensive book I've ever purchased, Feb. 1 2011
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
I purchased all three books for my husband for xmas... he was an amateur photographer with somewhat of an interest in photography. The first book inspired him to buy a good tripod. He loved the second book so much he bought a DSLR camera. I can't wait to see what the third book inspires...

4.0 out of 5 stars Digital photography book, Jan. 13 2011
Greg Dejanovic (London Ont.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Digital Photography Book (Paperback)
This book is general introduction to DP and useful to a newcomer to SLR's.It is broken down to personal experiences and suggestions of a seasoned photographer . It a good read.

The Digital Photography Book
The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby (Paperback - Aug. 23 2006)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.22