5.0 out of 5 stars Complete, but not for the beginner
Published 13 months ago by William W. Armstrong

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit dense
Written by the creator of the language, it is a bit difficult to understand for a newbie like me. The author takes a lot for granted, and doesn't seem to realize how dumb the rest of humanity might be. On the other hand, this is basically one of the Bibles for C++. Everything in here is accurate, reliable and the word of Bjarne. The problem isn't with the words, but...
Published 9 months ago by Joe H.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete, but not for the beginner, Sept. 24 2013
The first chapter gives an extremely useful overview of C++11, the latest C++ standard. The rest of the book is more of a complete reference that fills in details of the standard, the motivations for the choices made, and the author's opinions about those choices, favorable or not. Stroustrup, as the original creator of the language, is uniquely placed to go into details. Many programmers like myself will only rarely need to go into great depth on any topic, but it is comforting to know that the answers are at hand in this book. One noteworthy fact is the extreme care taken in preparation of the text: In going through the whole book, admittedly skimming plenty of details, I found fewer than a dozen errors, some of them just nit-picking. This book is not intended as a primer to show beginners how to program in C++. It does deserve to be on the bookshelf of anyone aspiring to in-depth knowledge of C++.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough, July 15 2013
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition) (Paperback)
I thought this book would help me learn what I don't know about C++. I thought I knew a lot so I figured only to go to specific sections. Now I know that I know nothing. It's very thorough and technical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly recommended. Excellent for (even very young) people wanting to ..., Oct. 5 2014
Cristian Tibirna (Qc, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition) (Paperback)
Thoroughly recommended. Excellent for (even very young) people wanting to start programming as well as for (not so young) people coming from some other language and wanting to learn about strict memory management and strong typed programming. The earnest brilliance of M. Stroustrup's mind shines through and, from this point of view, this book is also an excellent exercice in learning how creative minds think. For teachers, this book is also a thorough example in how to design a class and its support material.

5.0 out of 5 stars best c++ reference, June 21 2014
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition) (Paperback)
I think this one is better than the c++ primer if one has some experience in c++. The c++ primer may be
better for a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive C++ Book, May 13 2014
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition) (Paperback)
No surprise here, but this book sets the standard for C++11 teaching. I considered docking a star for the slightly strange layout (explained below), but in the end decided that it wasn't enough of an issue to make me love the book any less. I can only speak from the perspective of a programmer who's been working with C++ for years, but I found the book to be easy to read with the right number of examples.

My only quibble is with the first six chapters, which provide an introductory overview of many topics. I had initially skipped them, as suggested in the preface, but had to return and read them because later chapters reference information covered in those early chapters. I don't mind an overview, but I think I would have preferred a much briefer overview (perhaps one chapter), and then straight in to the various parts of the language. I'm sure Stroustrup had his reasons for organizing things this way, but it didn't work well for me. Despite having to flip back and read a few skipped chapters, I'm sure in time I will recover and carry on an almost normal life.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a very good book to the know the latest c++ techniques and language syntax, April 24 2014
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition) (Paperback)
It is definitely not a book for someone who is just starting C++ programming or novice. Many of the examples are not very straight forward to understand, in other words a rather deep understanding of the language is required to understand what is been illustrated in the examples.

I love the recommendations, tips, and techniques taught about creating good programs.

The main reason I did not give this book 5 stars is that I did not like the layout structure of how the book teaches from start to finish, as it does not flow from easy(or intermediate) to hard.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, Aug. 14 2014
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition) (Paperback)
Thank you Bjarne, your work is nothing short of amazing. I consider myself an intermediate-advanced level programmer and this book really helped me to get to that level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Oct. 24 2014
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition) (Paperback)
Excellent book, Stroustrup is not only a great programmer, but a great writer aswell

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Oct. 10 2014
The best books I have ever had. Proud owner

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch printing job, May 29 2013
This review is from: The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition) (Paperback)
Great contents, but more importantly the multi-colored print job makes reading this book a bloody joy.

All programming manuals should take notes. In fact, someone go back and re-markup K&R, I'll buy it all over again!

The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition)
The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition) by Bjarne Stroustrup (Paperback - May 9 2013)
CDN$ 78.99 CDN$ 49.76