Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

on September 24, 2013
The first chapter gives an extremely useful overview of C++11, the latest C++ standard. The rest of the book is more of a complete reference that fills in details of the standard, the motivations for the choices made, and the author's opinions about those choices, favorable or not. Stroustrup, as the original creator of the language, is uniquely placed to go into details. Many programmers like myself will only rarely need to go into great depth on any topic, but it is comforting to know that the answers are at hand in this book. One noteworthy fact is the extreme care taken in preparation of the text: In going through the whole book, admittedly skimming plenty of details, I found fewer than a dozen errors, some of them just nit-picking. This book is not intended as a primer to show beginners how to program in C++. It does deserve to be on the bookshelf of anyone aspiring to in-depth knowledge of C++.
on July 15, 2013
I thought this book would help me learn what I don't know about C++. I thought I knew a lot so I figured only to go to specific sections. Now I know that I know nothing. It's very thorough and technical.
on May 13, 2014
No surprise here, but this book sets the standard for C++11 teaching. I considered docking a star for the slightly strange layout (explained below), but in the end decided that it wasn't enough of an issue to make me love the book any less. I can only speak from the perspective of a programmer who's been working with C++ for years, but I found the book to be easy to read with the right number of examples.

My only quibble is with the first six chapters, which provide an introductory overview of many topics. I had initially skipped them, as suggested in the preface, but had to return and read them because later chapters reference information covered in those early chapters. I don't mind an overview, but I think I would have preferred a much briefer overview (perhaps one chapter), and then straight in to the various parts of the language. I'm sure Stroustrup had his reasons for organizing things this way, but it didn't work well for me. Despite having to flip back and read a few skipped chapters, I'm sure in time I will recover and carry on an almost normal life.
on August 8, 2015
I have the second edition of this same book with was around approximately at the time of the C98 ISO standard for "modern C++", and you could get a pdf copy of the draft paper of that standard and use it as a technical reference (same with the ISO C standard). The 2011 standard is the current update as far as I can tell, and it would be quite interesting to get to see the new features that were accepted. Bjarne says in his book that he is careful not to force his opinions but would rather have people come to terms, and the language does evolve. C++ was initiated in order to fill a gap where language features were needed by him personally following his academic work, in his work at the telephone company; Bell AT&T. The biggest thing here with Standard C++ was that the application designer should ask some questions during the planning phase about how to use this language effectively so that the features of the language actually were used to make the most flexible program, for example, you can have support for object oriented programming, and than in addition you can also make some of the parts of the code generic. You can have smaller source code by using the stl library, except when it is unjustified, but otherwise it is to your advantage because that functionality was once a source of errors. At any rate it is true that a beginner would be lost, so you need an easier introduction, however Master Stroustrup himself used to tell me to read his book.I would mention other books and he would tell me to read this other book of his, etc. Well, I could not do it at the time but a lot of things change, so therefore like I said in the beginning, it takes time to come around and sometimes you just need to wait. I actually believe that it is quite important to read his books because it is possible to learn modern C++ without having any knowledge of the C programming language. In so doing, you are less likely to accept code that is object based instead of object oriented and than made clean by the stl library. Anyway, that is their song and dance. I do know this.
on April 24, 2014
It is definitely not a book for someone who is just starting C++ programming or novice. Many of the examples are not very straight forward to understand, in other words a rather deep understanding of the language is required to understand what is been illustrated in the examples.

I love the recommendations, tips, and techniques taught about creating good programs.

The main reason I did not give this book 5 stars is that I did not like the layout structure of how the book teaches from start to finish, as it does not flow from easy(or intermediate) to hard.
on October 5, 2014
Thoroughly recommended. Excellent for (even very young) people wanting to start programming as well as for (not so young) people coming from some other language and wanting to learn about strict memory management and strong typed programming. The earnest brilliance of M. Stroustrup's mind shines through and, from this point of view, this book is also an excellent exercice in learning how creative minds think. For teachers, this book is also a thorough example in how to design a class and its support material.
on November 6, 2014
It's a must-have reference for anyone using C++. I upgraded from the second edition in order to learn the new C++-11 features which this edition covers very well. Perhaps the only thing lacking is that it's coverage of STL is a little cursory, but considering the size of the volume already, and the depth of coverage necessary it is understandable that some content needed to be deferred. I purchased Josuttis "The C++ Standard Library" to get the detailed STL coverage and didn't regret it.
on March 17, 2015
Wish he could write as well as he codes.
Kind of rambling, scattered, and repetitive writing style
Also, when I'm trying to learn a new concept, I hate wasting time trying to decrypt obscure and poorly named variables or methods. I wish he would use readable, meaningful names so I could just focus on the code.
on December 29, 2014
This is one of the most best explained C++ books I have ever read.
C++11 is definitely very well explained in this book and re-introduces programmers to the new syntax and libraries available.
If you are willing to learn, this is definitely recommended
on August 14, 2014
Thank you Bjarne, your work is nothing short of amazing. I consider myself an intermediate-advanced level programmer and this book really helped me to get to that level.