‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Canon Flash owners, and every other flash photographer., Jan. 2 2011
Sean Stephens - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites (Paperback)
I admit, I had pretty high expectations for this book after hearing Syl Arena speak about it and about various topics of his expertise in the year or so prior to the release of this book.
I wasn't disappointed!
I've been dabbling in [...] work for some time, and a dedicated Canon photographer who'd already dabbled in Speedlites with 2 of my own. Backing all this up I have a Bachelors degree in Theatre Lighting and 12 years working as a entertainment lighting technician. I know a couple things about using light :)
This book is excellently broken up into well thought out chapters and sub headings that don't bury the lead and let readers of any level jump right to what they need to get started with, as well as move through the book in the way that suits them best.

Syl Arena knows lighting, and as importantly, is a master of the Canon flash system. This book is all I could have asked for in him passing on that knowledge to the reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best photography book I have read, March 1 2013
John H Watson (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
Well done! It has been a long time since I've read a book that I have enjoyed more.
Very complete, well organized, easy to read, no self-promotion, full of examples and how-to info. I'm 3 chapters away from finishing and I'm going to be sorry when I am finished.

I'm am an experienced amateur, with lots of ambient light experience. I always hated the flash, because I could never get it to look right. Now I understand why. I am looking forward to applying what I have learned. Thanks for writing such an excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Resource, Jan. 6 2013
In the last year I have purchased quite a few photography books. This is without a doubt one of the very best. If you are a Canon user and have a Canon Speedlite of the 430 EX 11 or 530 EX 11 variety, this book is for you. Author Syl Arena is not only a great photographer, he is a great teacher. His book is extremely well organized. Every concept he teaches is accompanied by a photograph or diagram. And you never have to turn the page you are reading to look at those photographs or diagrams. They are right there. Also, he provides the camera and flash settings he used. Great diagrams show his lighting setups. The book covers virtually every topic needed to start taking better flash pictures both indoors and out. The book is very current. For any gear that he suggests a person might want to purchase, a photograph is provided. You never have to guess or imagine what he is talking about. Quite honestly, I think I would have had a hard time learning how to use my Speedlite effectively without this book. The manual for the flash unit leaves a lot to be desired.

I know that I will be referring to Mr. Arena's book over and over again. If you are serious about wanting to take better flash pictures, I can highly recommend it to you. It is so comprehensive in its coverage that there is likely no need to purchase any other book on the same topic. This book does it all in a down to earth, easy to understand fashion. And with the exception of some very specialized lighting setups (detailed near the end of the book) which are really fun and interesting, this book talks to those of use who do NOT have professional studios. It is directed mainly at those who have one or two Speedlites and probably won't ever have more than this. Mr. Arena is also very practical when he suggests additional equipment such as stands and light modifiers that we amateurs might like to acquire. Great book. I wish all books were this good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical issues with Kindle version, March 3 2014
Overall, this is a great book. Well written and well organized. However, because it is a photography book there are references to images throughout. I've purchased a couple of Kindle versions (for iPad) of photography books and they all seem to suffer from the challenge of how to have the image next to the text that is describing it.

It's frustrating to scroll back and forth all the time and, as a result, I will not be buying the e-versions of photography books in the future. The material simply loses a lot of its impact when the reader is annoyed by the medium.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a GREAT book, Nov. 17 2013
If you are wanting to learn to use your speed light, this is a great book. It even has light set ups. I learned a ton from this. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flash Photography, April 5 2013
Yvon Lemieux - See all my reviews
This book is extremely well written and well organized. Its easy to follow and understand, and is very thorough with many examples and ideas for better photography. Really happy I purchased it, and would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, Nov. 24 2012
The book is thorough and delves deep into the mechanics of digital photography, as well as lighting. A great buy, I was a "know it all" but I learn something even from pages that I see as basic review. Shape up your technique, son!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 12 2012
Very readable, full of relevant details and generously illustrated with good quality pictures. Takes the reader from the most basic concepts to fairly advanced techniques. The best book I have seen on the subject. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best help book I've read, April 5 2012
This book is perfect for a beginner or an advanced beginner, or for that matter, anyone interested in learning or improving off camera flash skills. Very well organized and written, easy to read with concise and down to earth explanations and examples of techniques, short to the point chapters, plenty of helpful photo examples. It should be a textbook. I read it from cover to cover and learned more from this one book than 10 other photography books. Everything just seemed to click for me when I read it. Thank you Mr. Arena!

5.0 out of 5 stars Photographers (Canon or not), buy this book., Jan. 6 2011
I've been using Canon Speedlite's as an avid amateur for a few years now and I really must say that this book is amazing. It's great for anyone who uses the Canon system (or any other flash system for that matter), from those who just got their first DSLR over the holidays to those who've been shooting for years.
Syl Arena's vast knowledge and easy writing style make this book incredibly easy to read, understand and absorb; all of which helped me apply the content quickly and easily. While reading the book I found that new ideas started taking shape and I suddenly realized that my love of photography had been focused (no pun intended) and intensified. This is not simply a book about the Canon Speedlite system but a book about photography. And a great one at that.

I saw the quality of my lighting improve almost right away. Better understanding and control of light makes better images. Buy this book now.

Thanks Syl!