5.0 out of 5 stars Very simple, well illustrated and FUN!!
I bought this book because Layers are one of the most important features in Photoshop. I've got many books on Photoshop but find them too long winded and I give up without learning a lot. This got right into it and I've learned more in a couple of weeks than I did in the last 5 years. It made learning FUN!!
Published on April 5 2011 by Peter Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop manual
Too complicated for a beginner.
I suggested to medium to advanced level for Photoshops.
Difficult to follow the instructions.
The examples in the text are difficult to follow.
I would suggest making an iteractive DVD instead of the book.
Published on May 7 2012 by Magdy Hassouna

5.0 out of 5 stars Very simple, well illustrated and FUN!!, April 5 2011
Peter Hall (Regina, SK Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature (2nd Edition) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tips and info, Feb. 15 2011
Doug Vann (Pike Bay, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This book has cleared up a lot of the mystery of layers and how to use them. I would recommend this book to those trying to make the most of the layers functions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, March 20 2011
If you have no clue on how layers and masks work this is the book to buy, it all makes sense once you read this book. GREAT book MATT!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Suits my learning style, June 6 2011
As a photographer, I'm making a serious study of the relevant capabilities of Photoshop CS4. Having earlier read a book co-authored by Kloskowski and liking the style, I bought his work on layers. It does not disappoint, and is fine for CS4 users. I first read through it quickly to get an overall perspective, and am now in the process of more detailed study. While quite chatty, it does present a wealth of useful information in a manner that is easily grasped and memorable. It's major shortcoming is failure to discuss Photoshop's RAW editor, which is a highly efficient non-destructive editing tool using layers in the background. I also question the current publishing trend of saving paper by using a small font for the main text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply "The Best", June 24 2011
Until I bought this book, Layers was a complete mystery to me, even after taking several classes. This book is clear, well-written and no detail is missed. The supporting downloads for each lesson cover all the basics and more. Matt knows the subject but above all, he's a great teacher and knows how to impart the knowledge. Thank you Matt.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start to using levels, Dec 26 2011
I wanted to learn more about using layers in Photoshop Elements. I've read articles by Matt and like the clear way he explains techniques. I was afraid that the book would be too geared to Photoshop CS but almost all of the features he discussed are in Elements too. The user level is listed as beginner, but by the time you have mastered adjustment levels, blend levels, and layer masks through his many examples, you'll have entered a whole new world of photo enhancement and image creation. He has a great way of throwing the background out-of-focus, and I've used the stroke outline feature several times in a recent project.

3.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop manual, May 7 2012
Magdy Hassouna "Magnum" (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
Too complicated for a beginner.
I suggested to medium to advanced level for Photoshops.
Difficult to follow the instructions.
The examples in the text are difficult to follow.
I would suggest making an iteractive DVD instead of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Aug. 26 2011
I would recommend this book to anyone who is just starting or knows a bit about photoshop already. This detailed information about the different types of layers is hard to find anywhere else

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a great investment!, April 2 2014
This book is thorough, easy to read, and a great investment for anyone wanting to learn more about Photoshop!! 5 star!

4.0 out of 5 stars A little on the difficult side for beginner's, May 22 2013
I have been reading this book and I believe that it is a bit on the difficult side for beginner;'s like me. This is probably good for people that have been using photoshop frequently.

Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature (2nd Edition)
CDN$ 46.99 CDN$ 29.46